Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an MME at the end of March. By the beginning of May, the only communication I had received was an order confirmation email that I received 2 days after I left my deposit at a local dealer. I kept reading that Ford had started telling people that orders would be able 6 months. So, I ordered a MY and took delivery of it in about 6 weeks.

If you're lucky, or willing to travel to pick up a car, I know folks can find MMEs where folks have backed out of orders, but I would not call them "readily available".

I think if I could have gotten the MME in 6 weeks, I probably would have been happy with it. I am happy with the Tesla I got.

It's starting to sound like Ford-Tesla is the new Ford-Chevy debate. ;)
I had an MME at MSRP available 2 miles from me for some time. I agree that one may need to make some effort to find a Mach-E fitting her/his dreams. 7 years ago I made several 200-mile trips to find the car I was looking for. It all depends on the amount of effort and time you want to spend, but I agree the Mach-E is not as readily available as regular Honda Accord or VW Atlas.

+100.

Go take a look at all the Tesla hit pieces C&D has delivered over the years, including their negative bias on Twitter. Edmunds, C&D all take advt money from legacy and rain their parade on Tesla. It is so easy to see their bias.
There is definitely quite a bit of bias against (and some for)Tesla in the media in general. It's not hard to pick out. Aside from the influence of ad revenue etc which is undeniable, it may have to do with Musk's personality and reputation that rub some people the wrong way, and / or their personal biases against EVs and the fact that Tesla is a success story and formidable player. I remember the Prius (and their drivers) getting a lot of flack mostly for it being a popular hybrid.

Just the headline of this C&D article, aside from being obvious clickbait, reeked of bias. Then when you read that they admitted to testing two different trims and that the result might have been different had they gotten a LR Y, their conclusion shouldn't be anything but laughable. Then they claimed to have a glitch with the camera when backing up and judged quality based on that as well as some panel gaps. I wonder what they'd say if they saw the page-long list of quality issues (both build and software)affecting the Mach-e?

Reactions: Sixth and alexgr
Saw my first one today as well in SoCal area. Was kind of surprised it took as long as it did.
Supply chain issues are real. Even for Tesla (MY supposedly sold out thru Q3). This is hurting ALL manufacturers and hitting automotive particularly so.
Point is 2020 and 2021 are anomalies in many ways and not much can be gleaned from them until the supply issue is resolved (in mid 2022 at best)

Test drove both, am I and that one YouTube who brought it up the only ones who couldn't stop the MME smoothly with the brake? It was BAD! Problem: after regen braking is at full, if want any 'real' brake, it is impossible to press brake pedal light enough to not bob all riders head forward. Also just a Tap of the brakes to turn off cruise also bobs heads forward. VERY noticeable and bad. As in Ford should drive a Tesla to see how to do the regen/real brake blend, which is great in Teslas.

Also for disclosure, we then bought a used 2020 Model X after our test drives.

3) Tesla not having a press fleet and PR Dept results in weird comparisons like this with a 2020 Model Y vs 2021 Mach-e. This is not the automotive journalist fault.

4) Asinine to say all press is bias and unworthy when a negative article comes out because Tesla refuses to advertise and Ford does. But point to that same automotive press and CR when they have something positive to say about Tesla. Filtering out any negative press and only validating positive press is pure confirmation bias.

5) Are automotive journalist supposed to take a vow of poverty and work for almost free? Because if they live off of sold magazines/subscriptions to readers this is exactly where they will be.

All I’ve relayed in this forum is my households experience with automotive media after working in various OEMs with my wife directly working with media for 20 years.

Overheard at a C/D event as a writer counseled a hopeful applicant:

‘you have to be a good writer, driving ability comes second’

I find it interesting that you’ve so far found zero fault with the process of the current state of automotive media.

During my time with Ford, my partner was emailed by a journalist who needed a truck ASAP for a move. The request had to be met with haste, after a quick call with colleagues.

Another OEM I worked with has a huge budget to wine and dine media. Another media member was finally uninvited after ‘losing’ his luggage for five consecutive years, filing a claim with our company to the tune of $1000, sexually harassing some of the younger PR folks and other things I won’t mention. There was a lot of hand wringing over the action to be taken, and solely because of the implication that said journalist would become more negative about the brand.

Another publication borrowed a $200K limited supercar from another OEM and returned it with $35K of damage. We cursed privately, but never said anything to them about the incident. You can hopefully guess why.

I may very well exhibit bias, but I’m not sure why you aren’t examining all processes here to come to a conclusion.

I’ve personally stated on this platform that as of two days ago, results coming from major publications have been split from the two, but C/Ds conclusions regarding both handling and it’s musings about the UX were not duplicated in the three other comparisons.
No it’s not C/Ds ‘fault’ that Tesla doesn’t have a press fleet. It is media fault that it calls OEM PR departments to find out about features on a car that an ‘enthusiast’ would find out about by….reading the owners manual.

I can go into three publications looking for writers with lifestyle over automotive experience as well. I’m not sure any media is without fault and or examination of its process.

Ironically CR won’t take a dime from OEMs or allow its writers to attend media events. Interesting.

5) Are automotive journalist supposed to take a vow of poverty and work for almost free? Because if they live off of sold magazines/subscriptions to readers this is exactly where they will be.
That's called legal bribery. Terrible for consumers as if anyone treats any automotive press publication with any degree of trust places self into imbecile category. Well, that's what the PR is aiming for. The average IQ of Americans is 98. Now think that half of the population has a lower IQ. They'll believe anything PR departments will tell them through automotive "journalists".

Putting aside all the "advertising spend" etc, discussion, I really dont understand why this has to be a " this OR that" type thing, other than the fact that is the slant the original poster in this thread took. I already covered that portion of it.

Why do people (including the OP of this thread, and others "debating" them) feel like they need to justify anything to anyone? Discuss features, sure, but thats not what is going on here. Its couched as "this thing is great, that thing mostly sucks" on both sides, and neither one of those things are likely true in their entirety.

Just because someone says "My moms steak and potatoes is better than your moms" doesnt make it true for you, or even true in general, and isnt something that should be debated, but thats basically whats happening here.
Agreed, which is why I noted in one of my posts that these are both great vehicles and you can’t go wrong with either. However, my mother’s steak and potatoes are superior to every other poster’s mother’s steak and potatoes and that’s a fact. :)

All I’ve relayed in this forum is my households experience with automotive media after working in various OEMs with my wife directly working with media for 20 years.

Overheard at a C/D event as a writer counseled a hopeful applicant:

‘you have to be a good writer, driving ability comes second’

I find it interesting that you’ve so far found zero fault with the process of the current state of automotive media.

During my time with Ford, my partner was emailed by a journalist who needed a truck ASAP for a move. The request had to be met with haste, after a quick call with colleagues.

Another OEM I worked with has a huge budget to wine and dine media. Another media member was finally uninvited after ‘losing’ his luggage for five consecutive years, filing a claim with our company to the tune of $1000, sexually harassing some of the younger PR folks and other things I won’t mention. There was a lot of hand wringing over the action to be taken, and solely because of the implication that said journalist would become more negative about the brand.

Another publication borrowed a $200K limited supercar from another OEM and returned it with $35K of damage. We cursed privately, but never said anything to them about the incident. You can hopefully guess why.

I may very well exhibit bias, but I’m not sure why you aren’t examining all processes here to come to a conclusion.

I’ve personally stated on this platform that as of two days ago, results coming from major publications have been split from the two, but C/Ds conclusions regarding both handling and it’s musings about the UX were not duplicated in the three other comparisons.
No it’s not C/Ds ‘fault’ that Tesla doesn’t have a press fleet. It is media fault that it calls OEM PR departments to find out about features on a car that an ‘enthusiast’ would find out about by….reading the owners manual.

I can go into three publications looking for writers with lifestyle over automotive experience as well. I’m not sure any media is without fault and or examination of its process.

Ironically CR won’t take a dime from OEMs or allow its writers to attend media events. Interesting.
This is a great post.

And my point earlier about how they hook up the likes of Jimmy Chin and Country Musicians to get the PR out there.

I used to shoot for alot of OEM's and parts brads. I can 100% guarantee that Ford "bought and bribed reviews" for early Raptors, and the Mach-E. They also put an insane amount of money into advertising the Bronco Sport as well as for paid YouTube reviews. It really isn't that uncommon.

It blows my mind that people think that this doesn't happen. Heck it happens in the news. Companies spend millions just to populate higher in google search rankings when you search "tesla" it'll populate VW first at times. This isn't an accident. Every industry has brands that "buy" reviews. From a honest to god just look at the car, its not hard to see that the Tesla is superior in build, tech and design. This isn't taking anything away from Ford, it's just a massive head start.

Ford has done a good job getting something to market, and sure I can see why it'd be better for some people out there as a personal choice and they can ignore the tech. That said the UI in my 17 outback is faster and more responsive than the '21 Mach E. Its okay that it has faults. Its a great car. Some will favor it, and they compete in the same category. At the end it's a win. But some people just want to defend their purchase.

Like I said earlier. Some Jeep fans will argue day and night the FCA and reliability ratings of a Jeep are higher than that of a Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma. It simply flat out is 100% not true, and proven, but they'll go to the grave because its their brand.

It is the same with Tesla with the referral system. Getting enough people to use your code from youtube will eventually give you a Roadster. But can't be to negative the, people need to use the code!
I would excpect all consumer journalist to not be very negative against those that do not bribe them, more neutral. It is in their interest to be generally positive to all car brands to be secured a spot on the next press event.

Back to topic, Mach-e is getting more common in my country, I see a few almost every day now. I personally prefer the exterior design of the similar sized I-pace. ID.4 And Enyaq looks more practical than both and much more common.

No Y's here to compare with, Giga Berlin not yet open.

Just using facts to play whack-a-mole.
They're not facts, they're subjective assessments. Really, whenever I hear that A is better than B, I roll my eyes, because "better" is not just imprecise, it's a subjective assessment based on personal preferences.
When I was shopping for a new EV, the biggest reason the Tesla was better for me was it was available. The availability of the Mach-e was at least 6-8 months away, possibly more. When I'm next shopping for a new EV, there will be other cars to compare the Tesla to, and I will........I'm not a Tesla fangirl.

The MME is just so homely, but I still did my due diligence and compared it to an M3, as I very briefly cross-shopped one (I was specifically shopping the GT/performance flavor ...). So maybe a "crossover" vs. sedan is an unfair comparison in terms of aesthetics, as the former has some utilitarian design goals that requires certain accommodations.

The package itself is fine, checks most of the right boxes, has some "It would be nice if Tesla offered this ..." options - and best of all, gets another EV
in the market segment and [hopefully] on the roads.

To be clear - as that seems to be a response to not liking the design - I'm not a "Mustang purist", I honestly don't care what Ford sticks the pony on - and I say this coming from back to back, beautiful Mustang GT convertibles ('16 and 19', Perf Packs, mildly modified), and a long history of owning domestic performance vehicles. This is also my first Tesla, and I'm not all in with blind support, I'm as critical as anyone who doesn't own a Tesla (or TLSA :D)

The existing EV FTC is a good perk for Ford [at the moment], if applicable to you, we just recently picked up a Wrangler 4xe, and the $7500 right up front was nice - hoping some of us recent Tesla buyers get something applied retroactively.

Honestly, it seems like much of the OP's argument seems to be downplaying the benefits of the MY (performance, storage, charger infrastructure, 3rd row option, etc.) and putting huge emphasis on the areas where the MME might be considered "better" (quotes by design as many of those are purely subjective).

__If__ I were a crossover shopper, I'm 99% sure I'd still wind up with a Tesla, just a Model Y Performance (vs. our M3P), as I put more value into the attributes where it's clearly better [today].

I hope the OP enjoys their MME, and has a long, trouble-free ownership experience :)

it's great that some one says this is better than that. How about we let the market speak? Sales number stand to show what the people want. As I understand it, Tesla model 3/Y are sold out in Q2/3 (or something similar). Ford's sales number pale in comparison. Yes, please don't play Ford is only building 50,000 units. I really don't think they can sell more than 50,000 if they can even produce that much.

I recently got my first 2 referrals, yah me, and I asked my friends about the Ford Mach-E. Both said they would never buy a Ford based on their poor track record, horrible service, and dealer experience, etc. I also know that many people won't touch a Tesla. but sales numbers don't lie, and the math looks good. :)

Recently in the Mach-E forum, people are listing as having a Ford dealership on every corner as one of the reasons to buy a Mach-E. However, all you need to do is look further into the weeds, and they story is the same. Every Mach-E hitting service (as it appears to be a lot) none of the dealerships know how to service the car, and cars have been sitting in shops, sometimes a month at a time.

Yep, the Mach-E is just better, how?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sixth and john5520
There is zero incentive for the legacy dealer network to get on board with this stuff. A friend had a similar runaround with from GM to get a module in his Volt's pack replaced.

WHat they have failed to realize is how profitable it is to sell PPF and ceramic coating to EV buyers who think they need it because its' all anyone ever talks about after getting a new EV lol

Not really:

Oooof. Finally got around to watching this video. Some valid points, some very nitpicky stuff, and some gaping holes. Here is how I would compare Ford's CoPilot360 to Tesla's Autopilot from a driver comfort and convenience standpoint. This is based on my own extensive experience with the MME and more limited experience playing with stuff in a buddy's MY. Correct me if I get anything wrong or if you think I'm leaving anything out....
1. Both have adaptive cruise control which works just fine. However, Tesla's is currently capped at 80mph with the newest update, and can't go more than 5mph over the posted speed limit based upon sign recognition (can you turn that off?!). Advantage Ford.
2. Tesla will let you go "hand's free" for longer before the torque sensor nags you - about 30 second compared to about 10 seconds. Also, Ford's torque sensor seems a bit more sensitive - it sometimes nags me when my hand is resting on the wheel. But Tesla will actually start to throttle the car after too many strikes - not so for Ford. Pick your poison.
3. Autopilot will recognize and slow you down on highway exits. Ford doesn't have that. Advantage Tesla.
4. Both have lane keeping functionality. Ford's "Lane Centering" works well. So does Tesla's "Autosteer" (but good lord, Tesla, what's the with the over-hyped nomenclature?)
5. Neither have automatic or assisted lane changing. But with Ford, activating a turn signal temporarily suspends the Lane Centering function (adaptive cruise remains on) and then it automatically re-engages once you are in the new lane. With Tesla, the AP switches off when you use your turn signal, and you have to turn it back on. Big Advantage Ford (also, that's a pretty dumb oversight on Tesla's part).
6. Ford's CP360 includes both a 360 camera and cross-traffic awareness sensors. Tesla has neither. Big advantage Ford.
7. Ford will offer "Blue Cruise" hands-free driving on pre-mapped highways by end of 2021 ($600 for those who already bought their cars - baked into an increased price for everyone else). Ain't no hand's free driving for Tesla - not even in "Full Self Driving." Advantage Ford.

Overall, I'd say the driver assistance features offered by Ford are superior to Tesla's AP. And I can confirm that the Ford stuff works really well. And again, this is an evaluation based upon driver comfort and convenience. So if you want to chime in with something along the lines of "well, I'm glad my Autopilot imposes more limitation because it makes me safer", m-kay, go with that.

Last edited:
However, my mother’s steak and potatoes are superior to every other poster’s mother’s steak and potatoes and that’s a fact. :)
You should be my brother from another
Oooof. Finally got around to watching this video. Some valid points, some very nitpicky stuff, and some gaping holes. Here is how I would compare Ford's CoPilot360 to Tesla's Autopilot from a driver comfort and convenience standpoint. This is based on my own extensive experience with the MME and more limited experience playing with stuff in a buddy's MY. Correct me if I get anything wrong or if you think I'm leaving anything out....
1. Both have adaptive cruise control which works just fine. However, Tesla's is currently capped at 80mph with the newest update, and can't go more than 5mph over the posted speed limit based upon sign recognition (can you turn that off?!). Advantage Ford.
2. Tesla will let you go "hand's free" for longer before the torque sensor nags you - about 30 second compared to about 10 seconds. Also, Ford's torque sensor seems a bit more sensitive - it sometimes nags me when my hand is resting on the wheel. But Tesla will actually start to throttle the car after too many strikes - not so for Ford. Pick your poison.
3. Autopilot will recognize and slow you down on highway exits. Ford doesn't have that. Advantage Tesla.
4. Both have lane keeping functionality. Ford's "Lane Centering" works well. So does Tesla's "Autosteer" (but good lord, Tesla, what's the with the over-hyped nomenclature?)
5. Neither have automatic or assisted lane changing. But with Ford, activating a turn signal temporarily suspends the Lane Centering function (adaptive cruise remains on) and then it automatically re-engages once you are in the new lane. With Tesla, the AP switches off when you use your turn signal, and you have to turn it back on. Big Advantage Ford (also, that's a pretty dumb oversight on Tesla's part).
6. Ford's CP360 includes both a 360 camera and cross-traffic awareness sensors. Tesla has neither. Big advantage Ford.
7. Ford will offer "Blue Cruise" hands-free driving on pre-mapped highways by end of 2021 ($600 for those who already bought their cars - baked into an increased price for everyone else). Ain't no hand's free driving for Tesla - not even in "Full Self Driving." Advantage Ford.

Overall, I'd say the driver assistance features offered by Ford are superior to Tesla's AP. And I can confirm that the Ford stuff works really well. And again, this is an evaluation based upon driver comfort and convenience. So if you want to chime in with something along the lines of "well, I'm glad my Autopilot imposes more limitation because it makes me safer", m-kay, go with that.
There is only one question: How much does Ford pay you?

There is only one question: How much does Ford pay you?

Did you know that ____ must be getting paid by [Ford / Toyota / Etc] is THE most common retort around these parts to anything perceived as negative against Tesla? It’s pretty funny, really.

I wish Ford paid me. Sadly it is the other way around. I’m paying Ford almost $60k (but Uncle Sam is good for 7500 of that). If you have anything to dispute about my comparison of CP360 and AP, let’s hear it. I enjoy the discussion. But “you’re just getting paid” is so lazy!

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari
Did you know that ____ must be getting paid by [Ford / Toyota / Etc] is THE most common retort around these parts to anything perceived as negative against Tesla? It’s pretty funny, really.

I wish Ford paid me. Sadly it is the other way around. I’m paying Ford almost $60k (but Uncle Sam is good for 7500 of that). If you have anything to dispute about my comparison of CP360 and AP, let’s hear it. I enjoy the discussion. But “you’re just getting paid” is so lazy!
Sorry, you are not discussing anything, and you didn't answer my question: how much are you paid by Ford?

CP360 not slowing down when it approaches corners at high speed seems like a serious safety issue to me. I know Tesla is already testing the internal cam for driver monitoring. There is video of it in action. If it works well enough, it may actually allow for hands free driving as an option. We'll have to wait and see.

CP360 re-engaging after a lane is nice. However, I do not like the fact that there is no visualization that shows what the car is seeing. That's putting too much trust is the system which can be risky.

If what I've read from others and what I'm seeing in this is video is commonplace, I can't say this is superior to autopilot.