Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it as car play and android provide things at a far lower cost than the manufacturers were charging. thousands of dollars for a nav and "premium" sound systems became absurd when you could run an app like waze via car play for next to nothing.
An annoying issue with AA and CP are the stability problems during normal use when using bluetooth or even a direct connection. And it varies from phone to phone and even car to car. They do provide a great alternative otherwise (I particularly like Waze), however IMO, a car in this price range should have a built-in Nav system that's dependable and up-to-date.

Your key words are "should have" which can be applied to NAV and many other issues such as HUD. (Wife has that in her BMW. Nice.)

I ordered the only factory GPS/NAV unit that was available for my 2015 MB 2500 Sprinter van and the best "deluxe" sound system. The NAV made by Becker was total garbage. And no free updates. They wanted crazy money for that. Same with the high end stereo. I ended up using a $200 Garmin GPS with Lifetime updates instead of the factory junk. I finally replaced the stereo with a nice modest Alpine unit with radio and CarPlay. A huge improvement. Now its a keeper.

I also added CarPlay to my 2016 Ford Edge as soon as it was available. (late 2016) It has been very reliable for the past 4 years. Both my Ford and the MB are direct connect for CarPlay.

CP and HUD were things I was hoping to see added to Tesla Model S but I understand that EM runs Tesla much like Steve Jobs did Apple so probably never happen.

Reactions: Rocky_H
hm seems so, they use google traffic data , and google maps as a base.. ah my memory is like a telsa 8gb eMMC
Again, nope. Tesla uses their own maps, based on Open Street Map. I'm not sure where traffic data comes from, but I think it is a combination of data from their own vehicles and TomTom.

The only thing they use from Google is the satellite and display maps.

Reactions: Big Earl
Drove a car with a HUD. It's a nice to have but can easily live without it. Give me a reliable Nav App where I can just punch in my destination and go without worrying about the data integrity. Tesla's Nav does just that. Tested it on a long trip this past weekend and it did exactly what I needed it to.

Reactions: Electroman and SO16

Tesla currently uses Google Maps as the base. Then, the Silicon Valley automaker will "pinpoint" specific locations of interests. The navigation data and routing engine are provided by another software company, MapBox, which has been working on these projects for about a decade now.

Actually use mapbox in my own projects..

Drove a car with a HUD. It's a nice to have but can easily live without it. Give me a reliable Nav App where I can just punch in my destination and go without worrying about the data integrity. Tesla's Nav does just that. Tested it on a long trip this past weekend and it did exactly what I needed it to.
Yup. Have done several thousand mile plus trips using solely Tesla NAV. Works great.

An annoying issue with AA and CP are the stability problems during normal use when using bluetooth or even a direct connection. And it varies from phone to phone and even car to car. They do provide a great alternative otherwise (I particularly like Waze), however IMO, a car in this price range should have a built-in Nav system that's dependable and up-to-date.
I have used car play in many different cars and have never had any sort of stability issues, maybe your phone isn't working properly

I have used car play in many different cars and have never had any sort of stability issues, maybe your phone isn't working properly
Never used CarPlay, only Android Auto. But CarPlay users complained about the same issues I've had with AA. I lump them in the same boat Check on any car forum where CarPlay / AA are supported. Like I said, it varies from phone to phone, car to car. Some people claim no issues, others, lots of problems. Typical issues you'll see posted about CarPlay:

This has been my experience with AA on 2 different cars. Works well sometimes, others it would randomly shut down or won't connect.

I used AA with 2017 civic, 2017 GTI, and a lot rentals, on Google's own phones Pixel 3 and Pixel 4a 5G.
AA has quite some issues with varieties of messaging/VoIP software. Teams meeting may or may not work on BT when you are on AA but always works just on BT without AA.
Sometimes AA just won't start.
A lot times AA lags on voice input.

The only value in AA is Google map to me. I'd rather use BT for meetings, phone calls and music.

Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
Since the Mach-E came out I have only seen 3 in my neighborhood.
I see 3 Tesla's every day
Heck, I see a Leaf and i3 more frequently than Mach-E

BTW, the Model Y is the *LOW END* Tesla SUV (granted the price range is about the same)
C&D setting a low bar to compare the Mach-E to?

Last edited:
Since the Mach-E came out I have only seen 3 in my neighborhood.
I see 3 Tesla's every day
Heck, I see a Leaf and i3 more frequently than Mach-E

BTW, the Model Y is the *LOW END* Tesla SUV (granted the price range is about the same)
C&D setting a low bar to compare the Mach-E to?
I live in MI (home of Ford) and have only seen a few Mach E’s since they launched. But if it means one less gas car on the road, great!