Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of a recall over the power issues my bet is that Ford is going to issue the owners bumper stickers that read "Mach E GT owners do it for 5 seconds (or less)" and rename it the Gelding Mach E GT.
No, just rename it to the "Mach 5"

(I mean, Gelding is fine, but if the car is that badly castrated, might as well castrate the name too)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: thesmokingman
So - Ford say theres no OTA update for the MachE until Q1 2022, which we can take to mean end of at the earliest.

No bluecruise for those buyers without it (most of them), and that will be a whole year for some without a major feature pushed out OTA.

Also they are starting to see how their winter range craters because no heatpump etc,,

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Just to reiterate:
Mach-E is not even close to Model Y.
Yes, some stats are similar, but most of others clearly favor Y.

And this misses the big point: The Model Y is an econo SUV, while Mach-E is touted as a performance car, IOW the comparison should have been with Model X

Just to reiterate:
Mach-E is not even close to Model Y.
Yes, some stats are similar, but most of others clearly favor Y.

And this misses the big point: The Model Y is an econo SUV, while Mach-E is touted as a performance car, IOW the comparison should have been with Model X
I don’t agree that Ford was trying to target a high end market similar to the X

MachE is an econo SUV. Have you seen the interior? It’s a lot more similar to new RAV4 or CRV than it is to a Q5

the mach is fulgy and modey y does look nicer...the supercharger network helps. 0-60 is over rated in any ev.
It’s growing on me.
7DC18C7A-11A7-4CC6-A477-7B26B3278562.jpeg

MachE is an econo SUV. Have you seen the interior? It’s a lot more similar to new RAV4 or CRV than it is to a Q5
I don't get why people are calling this thing an SUV? Ford calls it that for marketing purposes, But if they called it an airplane it wouldn't make it so. It's a station wagon, not an SUV. The stupid window sticker even says it's a station wagon. Google a Mach-e window sticker, or go in to a Ford Dealership. Look at the upper right corner. It's a station wagon. I get that Ford is terrified of that. It's bad enough having a Mustang SUV; can you imagine the reaction of the Mustang crowd when they finally realize that Ford built a Mustang station wagon? LOL. Need more proof? Google last year's Mach-e Christmas commercial. Ford actually made the Mach-e Clark Griswald's new "family truckster!" (From the movie "Vacation.") At least Ford was being honest and subtly warning potential customer's about the quality of the car. "If you think you hate it now, just wait until you drive it!"

Before I bought a tesla MY I did a test drive in the Mach E. Before I did the test drive I was thinking about buying it if I liked the drive instead of waiting additional months it would take to get the MY - plus the EV credit $. Hated the test drive. Nothing to do with stats or acceleration. DIdn't feel comfortable in the seat, couldn't adjust it enough to get what I thought was a great view of the road. After the test drive, I ruled it out. Love my MY.

Reactions: SO16 and alexgr
Machi's biggest benefit is qualifying for the Federal Tax Credit. For those ineligible for the credit the Tesla is the better value.

Tesla's biggest benefit is the superior Supercharger network that enables quick and efficient long distance travel.

Latest Model Y with single piece front and rear castings plus integrated structural battery, dual pane side windows and vastly better tech will lead more people to buy the Tesla.

The Machi is also going to be a popular choice for those with fond feelings for Ford products, or even those wanting to once again own a Mustang.

I don't get why people are calling this thing an SUV? Ford calls it that for marketing purposes, But if they called it an airplane it wouldn't make it so. It's a station wagon, not an SUV. The stupid window sticker even says it's a station wagon. Google a Mach-e window sticker, or go in to a Ford Dealership. Look at the upper right corner. It's a station wagon. I get that Ford is terrified of that. It's bad enough having a Mustang SUV; can you imagine the reaction of the Mustang crowd when they finally realize that Ford built a Mustang station wagon? LOL. Need more proof? Google last year's Mach-e Christmas commercial. Ford actually made the Mach-e Clark Griswald's new "family truckster!" (From the movie "Vacation.") At least Ford was being honest and subtly warning potential customer's about the quality of the car. "If you think you hate it now, just wait until you drive it!"
Have you driven a Mach-E? Behind the wheel it feels like a crossover to me. You definitely sit up higher than any wagon, hatch, or sedan I've ever owned.

Whether that's good or bad is personal preference of course!

Quality-wise I thought the Mach-E was perfectly fine. Not luxurious at all, but it was far quieter and smoother than the Model Y I tested, especially the magneride version was really in another league for suspension. The mid-level AWD I drove was smooth but just too soft, became floaty on the highway. The magneride suspension rode and handled great, no compromises.

The two cars feel very different. I feel like if anyone tested both, they'd have a clear preference, and yes it could go either way depending on what you want from the car. Also Mach-E has way more variation across its trim levels, whereas Tesla LR vs P feel almost the same besides the extra acceleration and stock wheel/tire difference. Need to pick your Mach-E trim level carefully, or test a couple of them.

To the C&D review, I agree with many of their points, but to me it's difficult to conclude either car is "simply better" - their strengths are very different. If the Y had a suspension as good as the Mach-E's optional magneride, and quieter noise levels, *that* would be a clear winner...

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Have you driven a Mach-E? Behind the wheel it feels like a crossover to me. You definitely sit up higher than any wagon, hatch, or sedan I've ever owned.

Whether that's good or bad is personal preference of course!

Quality-wise I thought the Mach-E was perfectly fine. Not luxurious at all, but it was far quieter and smoother than the Model Y I tested, especially the magneride version was really in another league for suspension. The mid-level AWD I drove was smooth but just too soft, became floaty on the highway. The magneride suspension rode and handled great, no compromises.

The two cars feel very different. I feel like if anyone tested both, they'd have a clear preference, and yes it could go either way depending on what you want from the car. Also Mach-E has way more variation across its trim levels, whereas Tesla LR vs P feel almost the same besides the extra acceleration and stock wheel/tire difference. Need to pick your Mach-E trim level carefully, or test a couple of them.

To the C&D review, I agree with many of their points, but to me it's difficult to conclude either car is "simply better" - their strengths are very different. If the Y had a suspension as good as the Mach-E's optional magneride, and quieter noise levels, *that* would be a clear winner...
This would be nice…Tesla Model 3/Y air suspension resurfaces in latest firmware update

Yes, I've test driven several. I've driven station wagon's with higher seating positions. The Mach-e has lower ground clearance than any SUV or CUV. The window sticker says it's a station wagon. I think that makes it a station wagon. I'm not saying that's bad, but it is what it is. A Suburu wagon is a great rig, but then again it doesn't sit near as low as the Mach-e

If the Y had a suspension as good as the Mach-E's optional magneride, and quieter noise levels, *that* would be a clear winner...
Quality wise the Mach-e has some good points, but overall it's rolling junk. Please check Sandy Munro's video on the Mach-e thermal system. 35 hoses, all with sub par connections--most of them extremely difficult to reach. That alone will make the Mach-e a nightmare to own once the warranty expires. Junk. The car can't put out full power for more than 5 seconds. Junk. The car is prone to break down if driven down long downgrades. Junk. The car already has a recall for windshields and roofs prone to separating. Junk. The car is so loud recharging at home it wakes the neighbors. Junk. The glass roof is designed poorly and sits almost a quarter inch higher than the windshield making it prone to cracks caused by rock strikes. Junk. There are so many other problems I don't have time to list them all. Junk.

I have measured two Mach-Es with a sound meter, and then immediately measured my own MYP on the same road at the same speed with the same people in the same seat. No one was able to detect a difference in sound level from one car to the other using a sound meter. The Mach-e is not quieter than the Y.

The Mach-e handles significantly worse than the Y. The Y has slaughtered the E in every race between the two that I have seen. The E failed the "Moose" test miserably. The magneride suspension is nice, however it is also inferior to a quality set of aftermarket struts. The Mach-e suspension is objectively worse than the Y. You aren't seriously trying to state that MacPherson Strut is superior to a multi link suspension, are you?

Yes, the taller skinnier tires of the E will give some people the feeling of a better ride. However, this is due simply to the tires compliance, and not due to the inferior MacPherson Strut suspension of the E. Put good tires on a Y and the ride is equal to or better than the E.

The E is slower, has less cargo space, can't tow, handles worse, charges slower, has lower ground clearance, has no 4WD mode, still can't do many OTAs, has lower build quality. Etc, etc, etc.

I was a fan of the Mach-e and even planned on buying one--until it came out and it became apparent it's a committee designed POS.

Theres some poor guy who has had his mach-e stolen, the thieves have the key fob probably.

Nothing bad there - but they were able to deregister the phone as a key which removes access to the car from the app (unlike tesla) and he has no way of tracking the car and no contact at ford willing to help.

Its likely the car is stripped for parts or has its gps/data disabled now but it would have been good..

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
The E is slower, has less cargo space, can't tow, handles worse, charges slower, has lower ground clearance, has no 4WD mode, still can't do many OTAs, has lower build quality. Etc, etc, etc.
Yes, I was banned from macheforum for telling this kind of truth ... 😏
You aren't seriously trying to state that MacPherson Strut is superior to a multi link suspension, are you?
I had this thought too before, but someone told me that Porsche is using MacPherson struts on 911. So, it is not necessarily that bad.