Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is simply how does one transition from loving the growl of an engine and the experience that provides to a silent EV?

I still use an ICE, but have a reservation for a Model 3.
Can't understand anyone who "loves" the "growl" of an engine. I have hated every kind of noise, but especially engine noise, all my life. Up to now, when it came to my own car(s), I accepted the noise as a necessary evil. After having test driven my first BEV I know that once I have my Model 3 I will never ever go back to an ICE.
A BEV might not be something for you, but for everyone who loves powerful acceleration coupled with Rolls Royce like comfort and noise levels, a BEV is the best choice out there.

Can't understand anyone who "loves" the "growl" of an engine. I have hated every kind of noise, but especially engine noise, all my life. Up to now, when it came to my own car(s), I accepted the noise as a necessary evil. After having test driven my first BEV I know that once I have my Model 3 I will never ever go back to an ICE.
A BEV might not be something for you, but for everyone who loves powerful acceleration coupled with Rolls Royce like comfort and noise levels, a BEV is the best choice out there.

I like some engine sounds but not others. I tend to like the sound of a modern V8 like the Mustang 5.0 engine. Sweet sounds. But I don't like LOUDness. So while I like the sound of a Mustang V8, I would never do anything that makes it louder, like installing glass packs or high flow mufflers that increase the sound level. So a mostly quiet EV still appeals to me, even though I do also like some engine sounds.

I grew up lusting after WW II aircraft, not cars. I love the sound of a Merlin or a P&W 2800. My father was into trains and we once went to the Tehachapi Loop to catch the old steam engine 4449 going through. I was level with the cab and only a few feet from the engine as it went by and understood why people went to gaga for steam engines. There is something primal about the way they shake the ground with each pump of the cylinder, especially under load like it was climbing the hill.

The sounds are cool because you can feel them as well as hear them. But to be subjected to that kind of noise all the time would get very annoying. It's nice once in a while, but having a car that is quiet is soooo nice.

Hard acceleration is also more fun in an electric car than an ICE. There is something that is cool all of its own to being in a car that's accelerating like being on a carrier catapult, yet all you hear is tire and wind noise. I don't do it much because my inner ears can't take it. Unfortunately I get motion sick very easily. It probably did prevent me from picking up a multi-million dollar airplane habit.

I grew up lusting after WW II aircraft...

Coming from a family where one half has its roots in and near Würzburg and the other half in and near Dresden, and now live near Frankfurt/Main, the sounds of WW II aircraft are not something we would associate with "lust", or anything even remotely positive. You might know why...

I can understand the steam engine analogy though. But as you said, it might be a fun experience once in a while. But when you live near a railway line, an Autobahn or an airport, the noises from those sources are even bad for your health, just like exhaust fumes.
BEVs are the way to go. Quiet, sophisticated, yet so much fun. And if one lusts for a blubbery V8, he/she can always go the BMW i8 way of pumping artificial engine noise into the cabin.

Incidentally, back in 1989 we lived near a Ferrari dealership. One day we went by and they had just gotten an F40 for a customer. The mechanic backed it out of the garage and into the parking lot. I remember the blubber of the engine to this day, plus the fact that small puffs of smoke kept billowing from the exhaust pipes, minutes after the car had been parked. It impressed the hell out of the little car geek that I was back then. Still, when I was in England later that same year and the Queen and her entourage went past almost silently in their Rolls Royces while we were hiking in the middle of nowhere (no kidding*), I was impressed even more. :)

Unfortunately I get motion sick very easily. It probably did prevent me from picking up a multi-million dollar airplane habit.

In my case, my wallet prevents me from picking up a multi-million dollar airplane habit. ;)

(*I have still got the pictures of both the Queen going by and me with the F40 that day to prove it :p)

Coming from a family where one half has its roots in and near Würzburg and the other half in and near Dresden, and now live near Frankfurt/Main, the sounds of WW II aircraft are not something we would associate with "lust", or anything even remotely positive. You might know why...

There is that. I'm pretty aware of the horrors of history to know North Americans live a charmed existence, but the rate at which unexploded bombs are still uncovered in Germany almost 75 years after the war still amazes me. In the last couple years of the war the RAF and USAAF hit Germany pretty hard.

Though there is an active interest in warbirds in Germany today.

I can understand the steam engine analogy though. But as you said, it might be a fun experience once in a while. But when you live near a railway line, an Autobahn or an airport, the noises from those sources are even bad for your health, just like exhaust fumes.
BEVs are the way to go. Quiet, sophisticated, yet so much fun. And if one lusts for a blubbery V8, he/she can always go the BMW i8 way of pumping artificial engine noise into the cabin.

Incidentally, back in 1989 we lived near a Ferrari dealership. One day we went by and they had just gotten an F40 for a customer. The mechanic backed it out of the garage and into the parking lot. I remember the blubber of the engine to this day, plus the fact that small puffs of smoke kept billowing from the exhaust pipes, minutes after the car had been parked. It impressed the hell out of the little car geek that I was back then. Still, when I was in England later that same year and the Queen and her entourage went past almost silently in their Rolls Royces while we were hiking in the middle of nowhere (no kidding*), I was impressed even more. :)

A couple of months ago my SO and I were going to Trader Joe's which is a specialty market here in the US. As I was getting out of the car I noticed a signature red S parked the next row over and there was a couple walking our way who might have come from the Model S. I was debating whether to say anything when I heard a very loud sportscar engine right behind me. It was someone in a Lamborghini trying to get my attention. It's the first one I've ever actually seen in real life. My SO also noted there was a very expensive Mercedes parked nearby too. She commented that the economy must be going well in our area.

In my case, my wallet prevents me from picking up a multi-million dollar airplane habit. ;)

(*I have still got the pictures of both the Queen going by and me with the F40 that day to prove it :p)

I have never had the money for that kind of thing either, but I could have gone the route of one of my sister's friends. He had a degree in Electrical Engineering and went to work for Schlumberger (the oil service company) which paid a staggering salary (over $100K a year in the mid-1980s). Oil professionals tend to be very well paid.

He chose to live in a room at the back of a hanger so he could keep his airplane collection. He had a T-28, AT-6, and AT-7 (twin engine Beech transport plane used as a navigation trainer) in flying condition and a number of other aircraft that needed restoration. He said there was a Corsair in his mother's backyard and he had a Skyraider stashed someplace.

I did get an Electronic Engineering degree, but I chose to go into R&D rather than the route he took. I haven't made the huge salaries I may have made in the oil business, but I think my quality of life has been better and I've been doing work that I enjoy. I think running well logging equipment would have driven me crazy after a while.

I do love the sound of my V12 Vantage - not so much a growl but a musical, multi-tonal howl, rising in pitch with speed. My compromise is that still it have for the weekends. But to the original question, I find myself missing the sound and feel less than I had thought I would. For me the Tesla experience is still a novelty, though. Let's see how I feel in a few months. Will still hanker for the lusty weekend drive in the V12 after spending all week in the silently efficient Model S?

Last edited:
Join the future and concentrate on your sound system rather than distracting engine noise. I believe there will be a tipping point within 10 years where ICE cars as daily drivers will become "uncool" (although these cars will always be appreciated for historical and nostalgic reasons). Just as horses were banned from the streets of New York (for safety reasons and a different type of "pollution" of 1,200 metric tons of horse manure per day in 1900), ICE cars will eventually be banned as well. I think even before any bans take place, ICE cars will be just too expensive to operate (as gas stations start to go out of business, mechanics & spare parts become more scarce, and insurance companies increase premiums for lack of safety features).

Reactions: Xenius
I've always loved sounds in cars. From Turbo spool, growl of a good exhaust system, blow off vale swooshing, etc.

Although you may miss that, the same things you miss, you learn to love on an EV. In a car that makes all those noises, at a light, just trying to quickly accelerate to get over a lane, turns it into this big 'show' where people are like 'ok, nice going show off, you just floored it, made all that noise, just to get over'. Where as in an EV, no one would even know you just accelerated faster than most cars on the road aside from the fact that you disappeared from accelerating so fast. :)

But seriously, there are pros/cons to each and although I miss the ICE cars I've owned, my MS has made up for it in just as many ways.

Hard acceleration is also more fun in an electric car than an ICE. There is something that is cool all of its own to being in a car that's accelerating like being on a carrier catapult, yet all you hear is tire and wind noise.
Picture two weightlifters, lifting equivalent loads. While lifting, one is grunting and farting while the other is silent. Which is more impressive?

Join the future and concentrate on your sound system rather than distracting engine noise. I believe there will be a tipping point within 10 years where ICE cars as daily drivers will become "uncool" (although these cars will always be appreciated for historical and nostalgic reasons). Just as horses were banned from the streets of New York (for safety reasons and a different type of "pollution" of 1,200 metric tons of horse manure per day in 1900), ICE cars will eventually be banned as well. I think even before any bans take place, ICE cars will be just too expensive to operate (as gas stations start to go out of business, mechanics & spare parts become more scarce, and insurance companies increase premiums for lack of safety features).

Yes, my father (born in 1920) remembers people talking about how cars were pollution free. I've heard at least one person claim that the terms "tailpipe" and "tailpipe emissions" predate the time when cars were common.

Predicting the future of cars is difficult right now. A number of people are predicting car ownership is going to end when autonomous EVs make services like Uber very cheap. I think the real answer is going to be messy and more complex.

Right now the average age of cars on American roads is 11+ years old. That means 1/2 of the cars out there were built before 2006. A significant number of those car owners are driving older cars because they can't afford anything newer. It's going to be quite a while before the used EV market has enough cars with long enough range to be able to replace those old ICE.

In more urbanized areas, there will be a growing fleet of autonomous cars for hire and when the services get reliable enough, a lot of the poorer people will abandon their cars in favor of ride sharing because it will be more affordable. However, I think those who can afford a newer car will opt to own their own. It will be both a status thing as well as a cleanliness thing. You won't have to get in a car which has been occupied last by someone and their feral children or someone who had too much to drink and lost control of their stomach contents.

Outside of urban areas, car ownership will still be necessary and ICE will predominate in these areas long after cities have gone mostly electric if not completely electric. In part rural people are more conservative and less willing to adopt new technology, especially new tech that has been touted by the more liberal. Plus the rural poor will need transportation, won't have access to ride sharing services, and will have lots of fairly new ICE to choose from at cheap prices.

ICE will also be kept by enthusiasts with the money to store them, but they will be hobby cars. Just like you see old cars restored to pristine condition on the roads today, there will be old classics kept running by people who care. These will usually be occasional use cars and you'll see them more in summer than year round.

Over time more and more roads will become autonomous only, but there will need to be secondary roads where non-autonomous cars can be driven. Taking your non-autonomous car out on one of these roads will become a hobby.

Horseback riding is a common hobby today. It's estimated the current horse population in the US is about 1/2 what it was in 1915. Most of those kept in 1915 were for necessary transportation use and while there are working horses on ranches and among communities like the Amish, the majority of American horses are ridden for recreation.

I suspect ICE will go the same route. There will be some uses where ICE are more useful, but EVs will dominate and eventually most of those EVs will be part-time or full-time autonomous.

Many European cities are passing laws now to ban ICE from city cores by next decade. The US is more resistant to those sorts of laws, but ICE will become rarer in city centers as EVs become more common and especially once autonomous ride sharing services start taking private cars off the road.

Once consumers start wanting EVs, that will start the first disruption of the car business. Followed close in its heels will be autonomous cars which require changes to the laws, but there is a lot of pressure on law makers to make these changes. In a decade driving a 2017 Infiniti might be about as prestigious as driving a Kia Spectra is today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvZSyzs3wg
I could be completely wrong. Maybe there will be some kind of big cash for clunkers program that sends a huge number of ICE to car heaven and puts way more autonomous EVs on the road at a much faster pace? Maybe legislators will realize that autonomous vehicles will cause massive unemployment and require a driver to "monitor" the system and be ready to take over?

People can be fickle too. Millennials are tending to have less interest in cars than any generation born in the 20th century or even the late 19th, but who knows? People do things that are not economically wise for vanity or peer pressure all the time. Even among the poor car ownership might become even more of a thing if used ICE get cheaper and the price of gasoline goes down and stays down. It may become a thing of pride for poorer people to drive an older ICE. Among Mexican Americans restoring and driving older Chevys from the 1960s and 70s is a great source of pride. (I grew up in East LA and some of those cars are amazing works of art.)

The sounds a performance ICE makes have been long tuned to provide an excitment to the ears of it's driver. People have been conditioned to believe that a car that thunders is really faster than another car, making the same speed, but with less drama.

It is that drama that makes drivers believe they are getting great performance.

It was the same way when the horse began to give way to the car. Many horse owners did not want to part with the very emotional attachment to their horse, and give over to a ill sounding and vibrating motor vehicle.

Some drivers forget that while the performance sounds appeal to the one operating the vehicle, those same sounds can be pretty annoying to others just wanting to travel in quiet and comfort, without being exposed to the blatting sound of the car driving next to them.

Some auto makers have even resorted to piping engine noises into the passenger compartment via tuned tubes or radio generation, to give the driver a dose of artificial motoring sounds.

You will quickly get used to the magic of electric propulsion. Puts the old, noise and vibration motors on the trailer.

I

I grew up in Hawthorne CA during the 60's. I get the whole hot rod culture. But it's time to move on. I'm really amazed when automakers continue to announce 500+ HP cars. Who are these for? Midlife crisis buyers? I guess I'm drawn more to technology now than spinning tires & smoke. The culture shift and attitudes regarding personal transportation will be amazing to watch.

The sounds a performance ICE makes have been long tuned to provide an excitement to the ears of it's driver. People have been conditioned to believe that a car that thunders is really faster than another car, making the same speed, but with less drama. It is that drama that makes drivers believe they are getting great performance.
I

Makes ya wonder how Hollywood will deal with the obligatory screaming engine car chase scene in future action films.

So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

Lol @ thinking that people drive with no music playing

I rarely ever drive silently, but when I do it is very relaxing. Always have amazing music playing. And can hear it hundreds of times better since there is no annoying struggle engine making noise.

I have a Volt. So when the gas generator turns on it is loud and annoying. I feel embarrassed when my car is making sound. And I use to love the sound of exhaust notes. But dont really care for them anymore

Silence is the new loud.

I'm going to write this even though it probably has been covered in some of the last 115 posts. I to was, am a car guy, grew up working in my dads and uncles garage in the 50's and 60's. Cars are in my DNA and loved driving them and working on them, had many makes and models over the many years that I have been driving. Got into Jaguars in the 70's and as you know those car are one you drive for 1 hour and work on for 2. Still loved them and had it not been for Tesla would still have one. My career was working for dealerships running operations, Volvo, Mercedes and Nissan. When I read my automobile magazine issue back in 2012 when the Model S was on the cover as automobile car of the year I was intrigued. I had installed solar in 2010 and thought that charging my car from the sun would be cool. Put down a deposit and talked my wife into going for a test drive. Keep in mind at this point had never seen one or driven one. You know the out come, I was blown away by the design and performance, also keep in mind that I'm not an IT guy and knew very little about tech. 4 years later and a two Tesla owner I will never go back to an ICE.

Oh I fully understand that a model S would be faster than my Camaro - I have no issue with the performance of these cars. My question is simply how does one transition from loving the growl of an engine and the experience that provides to a silent EV?

Drive an EV for awhile and then go back and drive your Camaro. It will make the transition so much easier. You will wonder how you ever put up with the noise and vibration and the oil changes and filter changes and brake changes of the Camaro.

I grew up in Hawthorne CA during the 60's. I get the whole hot rod culture. But it's time to move on. I'm really amazed when automakers continue to announce 500+ HP cars. Who are these for? Midlife crisis buyers? I guess I'm drawn more to technology now than spinning tires & smoke. The culture shift and attitudes regarding personal transportation will be amazing to watch.

Chrysler's business model the last few years has essentially been to produce the last muscle cars before they become impossible due to CAFE requirements. Ford and GM are working on doing something to at least convert their fleet to hybrids. Fiat-Chrysler seems to only be interested in milking the last days of the high power ICE.

Though a lot of companies have high power ICE in their line ups I think in part because they will become impossible due to increasingly strong mileage requirements. Though car makers have been figuring out how to get a lot more power out of smaller and smaller engines in recent years too.

Ultimately it's wasted effort compared to EVs. Getting tremendous power out of an electric motor is so much easier than getting it out of an ICE. Tesla has proven that beyond any doubt. You can take an SUV to the drag strip and beat super cars. That's really insane when you think about it.

Makes ya wonder how Hollywood will deal with the obligatory screaming engine car chase scene in future action films.

The diving noise aircraft have made in movies for 70 years is the noise biplanes make when diving as the air vibrates the rigging wires on the wings. I think the last aircraft design with rigging wires came out in the 1930s. They still use the noise.

For TV or movie shoots where people are having a discussion in a moving car, electric cars have an advantage. That is in situations where they are actually driving. There is much less need for any kind of noise canceling on the microphones.