Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes coming, but what does this all mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say in general I agree that Add-ons don't really help preserve value of the car, but in this case it's not an add-on, but rather a significant tangible design change across the lineup. This is like Model S' Oct 2016 refresh with the 8 camera setup that made the car relevant for the next 6+ years, while a Model S made in early 2016 immediately became obsolete.

So I can get a Model S made in early 2016 for free? I'd assume that an obsolete car would be free. Give me an example of the used price difference between a July model and a December one. I just looked on kbb.com and they don't even delineate between the two.

So I can get a Model S made in early 2016 for free? I'd assume that an obsolete car would be free. Give me an example of the used price difference between a July model and a December one. I just looked on kbb.com and they don't even delineate between the two.

I'd have to agree - old Teslas with all kinds of previous-generation features and build details have better-than-allmost-anyone resale value.

There is almost no sign of anyone in the used market caring about anything except remaining battery-range.

Example: AMD/Ryzen chip update. Used market does not care one cent if it's there or not.

Umm, this? https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/business/tesla-fsd-recall/index.html Remember, people TODAY and prior have bought their non-working FSD. How will it work with HW3?

Try at least reading what you link to.
The FSD that is available in the car is a FSD beta it is not, nor has it been purported to be feature complete or have no issues.

The recall impacts FSD in a specific situation and no injuries or deaths have been reported.

And a little reading between the lines and experience. This is only occurring with the current line of software and probably was introduced last year. It will be fixed when V11 rolls out soon. It will be fixed on HW3.

I've got the software that needs to be recalled. With this same version of "faulty" software, I was able to let the car drive for 40 miles, unassisted through a medium size city and over Interstate. ALL of this with non-functional software.

How can it work so well when it is non-functional?

Try at least reading what you link to.
The FSD that is available in the car is a FSD beta it is not, nor has it been purported to be feature complete or have no issues.

The recall impacts FSD in a specific situation and no injuries or deaths have been reported.

And a little reading between the lines and experience. This is only occurring with the current line of software and probably was introduced last year. It will be fixed when V11 rolls out soon. It will be fixed on HW3.

I've got the software that needs to be recalled. With this same version of "faulty" software, I was able to let the car drive for 40 miles, unassisted through a medium size city and over Interstate. ALL of this with non-functional software.

How can it work so well when it is non-functional?
You're telling me, a Tesla owner, that FSD is not complete yet? I could reference a certain Captain but I'll just politely say.... the whole world knows that, friend.

You said "Think of it this way, what pressure does Tesla have to put HW4 in any of their cars today? None, absolutely ZERO."

Tesla has gone from Radar, USS and cameras to cameras alone. Now they're moving to high def radar and high resolution cameras. Do you think once they finally get it right, that the the level of functionality, reliability and safety that current and older hardware has, will be up to snuff with HW4? Will HW4 even be up to snuff when it finally comes online? Those who paid for FSD will expect the same level of functionality when it finally launches in complete form. If not, I can see legal trouble for Tesla or refunds at least. Do I expect that they will upgrade hardware on the older cars? Hell no, it's not even feasible. But the incentive to do SOMETHING will be there when the lawsuits start rolling in. Remember, there is a class action already just on the delay. "Musk has repeatedly predicted that the company would soon build a truly self-driving car. But it has also repeatedly pushed back its own self-imposed deadlines. Tesla owners have filed a class-action lawsuit over the predictions and missed deadlines, which is still pending"

To be clear, I'm not wishing problems on Tesla. As a person who just bought one of their cars, I want them to succeed as much as anyone here. This is just my opinion of the future.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You're telling me, a Tesla owner, that FSD is not complete yet? I could reference a certain Captain but I'll just politely say.... the whole world knows that, friend.

To be clear, I'm not wishing problems on Tesla. As a person who just bought one of their cars, I want them to succeed as much as anyone here. This is just my opinion of the future.

"
Now they're moving to high def radar and high resolution cameras

That's just conjecture right now. Nothing in concrete yet.

Do you think once they finally get it right, that the the level of functionality, reliability and safety that current and older hardware has, will be up to snuff with HW4?

That's pretty easy, since it is mostly here with HW3, I expect to be up to snuff with HW3, let alone HW4

Remember, there is a class action already just on the delay. "Musk has repeatedly predicted that the company would soon build a truly self-driving car. But it has also repeatedly pushed back its own self-imposed deadlines. Tesla owners have filed a class-action lawsuit over the predictions and missed deadlines, which is still pending"

How far has the lawsuit gotten?
self-imposed deadlines
or is it estimates?

Tesla owners have filed

As always, a huge exaggeration. it's actually a few I'll guess less than 0.01% have done so. And it's a shame, because as in every class-action suit, the plaintiffs end up with pennies on the dollar and the lawyers make a lot.

Just remember, you got into this with
Remember, people TODAY and prior have bought their non-working FSD. How will it work with HW3?

And that's just blatantly wrong. I'm quite pleased with my FSD. It can offload probably 99% of my driving. Even on HW3.

Yup, don’t worry about depreciation or resale value when you buy a new car. If you buy and hold, depreciation is nominal between options, and resale levels out (unless it’s an investment asset, which Tesla is not). Some financial folks smarter than myself say if you buy a new car, try to hold for awhile. The longer you do, the cost of acquisition (title, tax, delivery fees) and the “cost” of depreciation, get spread out and the adverse financial impact is lessened. They also say don’t pay for options you don’t need. I think buying now (at today’s prices, with today’s options) and holding 10 years should satisfy both those recommendations. I hope so.

Reactions: toron2nashvile
Yeah it will probably be more expensive. However, I ordered the MYLR before the price cuts but luckily the price was updated before the car was delivered. So essentially I was OK with paying the $13k even without HW4/more cameras announced.

I feel like it's different with HW4 announced though, I might regret buying the car now if the new HW4 is right around the corner.
I don't think we are gonna find out when MY will get HW4 so I don't know if I think it's worth waiting for e.g 1 year. So a part of me wants to just take the car while it's still very affordable.

At the same time I'm not even interested in FSD so should I even care about all of this?
Well, I think it's more to it than just FSD. I believe that the new set of cameras will benefit park assist with the blind spots etc, even improved AP. I also believe that as soon as HW4 launches for MY, the current MY will drastically lose value.
I feel like taking delivery of a MY 2023 gets you the worst possible version of the MY there's been.

I might overthink all of this but... yeah.
there is better suspension on the 2023 which is great! And there is also.. nothing. lol

Do you think once they finally get it right, that the the level of functionality, reliability and safety that current and older hardware has, will be up to snuff with HW4?

That's pretty easy, since it is mostly here with HW3, I expect to be up to snuff with HW3, let alone HW4
Well I totally screwed up that question, typing in a rush. I meant the opposite, but if I have to go back and explain myself, the point is lost. We'll see how things play out soon enough. Have a good nite.

For those took delivery recently or about to take delivery will you regret down the road not waiting for HW4.0 when it’s so close to production? I’m taking delivery of my MYP next Monday, I don’t have FSD nor EAP, and most likely won’t even use the regular AP that much.

If HW 3.0 to 4.0 is anything like the HW 1.0 to 2.0 transition, it will take many months for the software to catch up to the same capabilities as the previous HW version. I don’t expect 4.0 to be that bad, since 2.0 involved ditching Mobileye HW and SW, but I would not be suprised if takes time to get FSD working well with new camera positions and/or angles.

GSP

Not after the recent price drops. I’m lucky (and grateful) I cancelled my March 2022 MYLR order in December 2022 just before delivery. Something didn’t feel right about it. Doing so, it saved me $15,000+ once prices dropped and I ordered again right away in January. I’ll be taking delivery Tuesday Feb 28th and also shore up the $7,500 tax credit before they change guidelines in March. By the time H4 is out, prices will be up significantly again so my thoughts are….I get an amazing car now and worst case, if I really want H4 and/or more range when it improves, I’ll likely sell my Tesla for more than I bought it for (assuming new ones are really high again and I was lucky to get one at a low price + with a rebate).

Hello Everyone,
I'm hoping to join the Tesla fam soon but I do have some questions about the timing of delivery and hope you guys can help me make an informed decision.

My MYP delivery is scheduled for this weekend, just a few days shy of the HW4 announcement. Given USS sensors are missing in this build, I'm really concerned about the missing parking assist feature and the viability of the vision-only solution. As per the rumor mill, there are no new camera placements coming this year but HW4 does come with a new HD radar. So I was wondering if Tesla might be able to use that for the parking assist feature and if it is worth waiting and potentially losing the partial tax credit.

I really don't care about FSD but do consider the parking assist as one of the must-have features. So what do you guys suggest should I try to postpone or reject this build or just take my changes and go with MYP now?

Thank you!

Well again that is something you have to ask yourself whether the full $7500 federal tax credit matters to you. Off the bat if you cancel your reservation you are out $250 but now the Model Y P is at least $2K more than it was back on Jan 12th and potentially the federal credit could be cut in half starting in April.

I would love to hear at Investor Day on March 1st that all vehicles Model 3, Y, S, and X will come made with HW4 but I just don't think that will happen. It seems like Model S and X are ahead of the game.

I have been wanting to know the definition of follow distance as well. Nobody seems to know. I can say one thing for sure, it is definitely not measured in car lengths. It seems to be some function of speed. When set to 2 the distance is so far back people jump in front of me. No way 1 would ever be tailgating even if it were half this.
And those of us in Vision Only cars are restricted to 2 as the lowest setting... maddening isn't it?

Keith

See if you can delay your delivery, and see what happens after "Investor Day" on March 1st. But be sure to ask your Sales Advisor when the deadline is to pick up and qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit. Many people say it's March 31st (end of 1st quarter), but there is no concrete proof of that date. Like the other post said, if you cancel your delivery, the new price is 2K more.