Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to Coast Superchargers to be online 4-6 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, this is a "dream" route for us westerners. Takes us through the very best of the beautiful Southwest/ 4 corners. Should you ever travel out this way, your camera would be clicking away and you'd remember this section fondly. One of my concerns was that the Superchargers would only follow the most direct, overcrowded with 18 wheeler's routes. I am very pleased to take the path less traveled.

This is not the end of the Supercharger construction. All good things will come to all. I know you are very happy with your Model S, in another year things will be really great!

I am very happy with the supercharger rollout in Arizona. We currently have one in Quartzsite facilitating travel to Southern California and should be adding six more in the next couple of months. That is amazing progress, in my opinion. The new SC in Flagstaff will allow me to go skiing and travel to the Grand Canyon without worries!

No good deed goes unpunished around here.

Quoted for truth. Not so quixotic when Musk is driving it and visiting all those destinations.

Whether we like it or not, the coast to coast route, and especially the scenic coast to coast route that brings together things like Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, etc. is a very important public relations battle in the overall effort for electric vehicles. There are no other long distance electric only cars that can charge at this rate, and therefore no other vehicles that can travel from coast to coast and visit all those tourist destinations within a "reasonable" time period without paying anything extra for energy. This move is about the future of Tesla and electric cars. The importance of making this splash cannot be overstated.

Of course, it's easier to say this if you have superchargers nearby or along routes you will likely utilize. I feel for those that do not. There are plenty of superchargers will eventually go in - I personally was hoping for the full southeast I-95 east coast route to be finished by the holidays, but I understand that Tesla's survival comes first. Those superchargers will likely have to be built (or roughly equivalent) at some point. Doing the scenic coast to coast route earlier rather than later is will pay dividends that include making it possible to deliver more "practical" routes through 2017.

Hoping for Indio this week! My wish for Santa

+1!

- - - Updated - - -

The California to Las Vegas, Flagstaff, and Phoenix Supercharger deployment is totally reasonable.

Flagstaff to Denver is ridiculous, and manages to get you neither to Albuquerque nor to Salt Lake City. It's not *practical*, it's just Elon's personal road trip.

Chicago to South Dakota is reasonable for what it is, but it doesn't really get you Chicago to Denver or anything likely to be used by most people.

Cheyenne is OK for people heading north from Denver to anywhere...

But Wyoming is the lowest-population state in the country, and the chances of anyone in their right mind driving through Wyoming from Denver to South Dakota... well, you'd only do it if you were *specifically* going to Mt. Rushmore.

So, basically, the "coast to coast" deployment is based on one man's quixotic road trip, and to hell with anyone trying to make any other trips. It is what it is -- being CEO has its privileges.

And I wouldn't complain, except that they advertised an entirely different deployment schedule which they've now abandoned.
Why would TM even consider trying to install SC's on coast to coast route that utilizes only I-80? No one I know of is planning on using the route for transportation over 5,000 miles. IMHO that's what airplanes are for. But for touring, the projected route makes perfect sense.That is why the National Parks are prominent along the route.

The rollout of "Elon Musk's personal roadtrip route", which nobody in their right mind would take, is a big "to hell with you" to people such as myself hoping to use (for example) the Jackson, MI charger which appears to have been cancelled entirely. As I said.

We can only go by your words.

To quote you directly:
...Tesla isn't even trying any more, by abandoning most of the planned Superchargers on them...
1) Tesla is introducing new locations and adding to the map, so your claim "Tesla isn't even trying any more" is incorrect.

2) Whilst I haven't counted, your claim that "most" Superchargars are abandoned is incorrect based on the numbers.

Some of these are gone *permanently*
With new locations appearing, it's another claim that you don't know categorically.

If they include Erie, PA, or London, Ontario and something in eastern Michigan, all is forgiven :)

Ah, that's the crux of it. You had said:
It appears that the company is going to do their best to make Elon's road trip possible, and to hell with everyone else

So in all actuality, it's not everyone else. It appears your (incorrect) blanket condemnation is based on if they are meeting your desires.

+1!

- - - Updated - - -

Why would TM even consider trying to install SC's on coast to coast route that utilizes only I-80? No one I know of is planning on using the route for transportation over 5,000 miles. IMHO that's what airplanes are for. But for touring, the projected route makes perfect sense.That is why the National Parks are prominent along the route.
Speak for yourself. I hate flying. Not the being in the airplane part, but having to deal with all the other people, delays, crabby kids (hey, I have my own crabby kids to deal with, don't need more headaches from other peoples), getting to a destination and having no end mode of transportation.
I love driving. I routinely do 1000 mile trips non stop with only bathroom and food breaks. While a route going through Nebraska would have been better, especially during the winter.

Free fuel, plus the comfort of having your own vehicle (I consider my vehicle to be my mobile base station). Plus the current route will really help with Wisconsin Tourism from Minnesota and illinois.

So, basically, the "coast to coast" deployment is based on one man's quixotic road trip, and to hell with anyone trying to make any other trips. It is what it is -- being CEO has its privileges.

Ummmm Seriously dude? Without Elon you'd be driving a Volt so chill out OK? This route has ALWAYS been the planned route, you knew it when you got your car. Either way, relax man.

- - - Updated - - -

No good deed goes unpunished around here.

Amen

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't like it, then sell your car?

+ 1.

I agree with Elon that the coast to coast trip will be a publicity win for Tesla. These Superchargers should be prioritized. I wounded if his children will really make it all the way without driving him crazy. Can any of you imagine the conversations: "Stop pulling on your sister's hair or I will leave you at the next Supercharger." "Don't put your finger in that!!!!" "That Supercharger is NOT a monkey bar." "Don't skip rope using that."

I agree with Elon that the coast to coast trip will be a publicity win for Tesla. These Superchargers should be prioritized. I wounded if his children will really make it all the way without driving him crazy. Can any of you imagine the conversations: "Stop pulling on your sister's hair or I will leave you at the next Supercharger." "Don't put your finger in that!!!!" "That Supercharger is NOT a monkey bar." "Don't skip rope using that."

This. With the additional sales that are likely to be made once a coast to coast route is available and promoted by Tesla and the press covering the Elon trip, then I suspect that Tesla will have more than enough extra cash to cover the rollout of the two most coveted Supercharger locations, the locations for which no rollout could ever be considered complete without them: Erie, PA and London, Ontario.

This. With the additional sales that are likely to be made once a coast to coast route is available and promoted by Tesla and the press covering the Elon trip, then I suspect that Tesla will have more than enough extra cash to cover the rollout of the two most coveted Supercharger locations, the locations for which no rollout could ever be considered complete without them: Erie, PA and London, Ontario.

Considering the market for Teslas is supply constrained, it's unlikely that sales will be affected.

Considering the market for Teslas is supply constrained, it's unlikely that sales will be affected.

I believe it will have a positive impact on reservations/sales. Even if it does not immediately impact reservations/sales it will have a positive impact on the Tesla brand and hopefully the acceleration of EVs. The trip will generate lots of free press along the route and nationally. Many Tesla owners will probably coordinate being at the various SCs as he travels cross country.

For those who might care (which I'm sure isn't very many)...

1) I think markb1 is correct - I don't see this having an real effect in the short term (1 - 2 years) as Tesla is getting plenty of accolades and free press due to having a spectacular car.
2) I don't remember Elon talking about a cross country trip when I bought my S, so I wouldn't assume that it was announced when neroden bought his.
3) As an active duty military member and military brat - I have either driven or riden in long trips across large parts of the US (either due to PCS or heading back to visit family) with little real interest in visiting anything more than a bathroom along the way - last one being from Kirtland AFB, NM to Fort Meade, MD. So, I for one see a lot of utililty in direct routes being the prime goal.

Hehe. That gave me a good chuckle.