Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can. I do it all the time and there is nothing unsafe about it.

I've taken off on cops to the speed limit and none have ever pulled me over.

0 to the speed limit is legal everyday fun.

Funny story, the cop clearly is a d*ck!

Yup. I do the same thing.....................in my Prius. If I'd done that next to a cop in my P85D, they'd pretty much have to pull you over.

Sorry so snarky, but I hope OP realizes there is no sympathy here. I can't help thinking what I would do if I were in an ending lane with my three kids in my "slow" Tesla and some testosterone junkie pulls this move just to feel good about himself. (I realize the P85D would be long gone freeing me to merge, I suppose.)

I'd also be pretty pissed to be the innocent bystander with a false ticket in my name. Though no permanent repercussions if OP does as he says, still, who wants to deal with that bureaucratif bullsh**?

You can somewhat legitimately criticize the OPs actions, and the possible ramifications for the other car, and even what could have happened if the other car had hypothetically contained a family with kids. But dragging the "innocent bystander" who wound up with the ticket into this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There is no way the OP could have foreseen someone else, with a similar name, getting a ticket as a result of his actions. Criticizing him for that, by writing, "I'd also be pretty pissed to be the innocent bystander with a false ticket in my name" is just silly.

You can somewhat legitimately criticize the OPs actions, and the possible ramifications for the other car, and even what could have happened if the other car had hypothetically contained a family with kids. But dragging the "innocent bystander" who wound up with the ticket into this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There is no way the OP could have foreseen someone else, with a similar name, getting a ticket as a result of his actions. Criticizing him for that, by writing, "I'd also be pretty pissed to be the innocent bystander with a false ticket in my name" is just silly.

youre right. not op's fault. I'd be pretty pissed at THE COP.

But for OP to seem pleased that he "didn't get the ticket" and some poor unknowing stranger did (could be me, could be you) - funny for him. Wouldn't have been funny for said stranger. Good OP can redeem himself by correcting the error.

youre right. not op's fault. I'd be pretty pissed at THE COP.

But for OP to seem pleased that he "didn't get the ticket" and some poor unknowing stranger did (could be me, could be you) - funny for him. Wouldn't have been funny for said stranger. Good OP can redeem himself by correcting the error.

OK, I see.

As for the OP being pleased that he didn't get the ticket, I could be wrong, but I didn't read it that way. I read it as him poking more fun at the cop, who he was annoyed at, for getting it wrong. Below is what he wrote. He even refers to the guy as "some poor guy."

But, here's the kicker. He wrote the ticket for another person that lives up in St. Pete! Some poor guy also named Robert (I go by my middle name Chris) up in St. Pete now has this on his record! Different name, different address, different date of birth than what I spelled out for the cop! I'll head downtown on Tuesday and hopefully get it straightened out.

It's a shame that such a beautiful car is going to be wasted on the dummy OP.

Worse, he's clearly learned nothing, and only seems to revel in the attention he's getting in this thread (which I am now contributing to, I realize).

Enjoy your new car, OP. Sigh...

You obviously got lucky. You can be cited under 23109(c) for "exhibition of speed". Exhibition of speed refers to acceleration at a rate that is dangerous or unsafe (regardless of speed limit).

More details posted by others:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...del-S!/page6?p=1018559&viewfull=1#post1018559
Yep, and as I posted at Cops don't like losing to a Model S! - Page 8 I've been pulled over in CA for "accelerating too quickly" from a stop sign in a 142 hp V6 totally stock inside and out 1993 Dodge Caravan.

With the exhibition of speed definition: "VC 23109(c) is commonly referred to as “Exhibition of Speed.” To prove this charge, the prosecutor must prove that you drove a motor vehicle, and while you were driving you accelerated or drove at a rate of speed that was dangerous and unsafe, in order to show off or make an impression on someone else", I would think the threshhold for getting a ticket in a Model S shuld be fairly high.

When is acceleration dangerous? It's certainly not dangerous when coming out of a light, in a straight line, with no tire spin and no drama. Which is what happens *every* time with a Model S, even in insane mode. Now if you yank the traction control fuse or something, sure, ticket away. I'm sure many people have gotten tickets they should have challenged in court.

Personally, I use every horsepower available to me when accelerating. Currently that's not extremely much (90 hp I think), yet I still pull away from pretty much all other cars at the lights. When I get my Tesla, they will be *gone*.

Sounds like the OP violated Florida 316.191, a misdemeanor. The penalty includes a fine of $500-1000 and revoking the person's drivers license for 1 year.

That's a good find on the FL statute that covers racing on highways-- (2) a person may not: Drive any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, or exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot;

And if you do it again they will take your toy away:
Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. This subsection shall only be applicable if the owner of the motor vehicle is the person charged with violating subsection (2).

Plus the law is pretty rough on spectators or passengers in a vehicle that is racing too--beware selfy-video-posters...

I do hope that the self righteous commenters here have never exceeded the speed limit on public roads or accelerated faster than necessary, since that would be rather hypocritical. I can fairly certainly say that we've all broken laws on public streets, this guy just happened to get caught, and posted about it. And quite frankly quickly accelerating up to the speed limit is probably less dangerous to others than exceeding the speed limit, which people do all the time.

I do hope that the self righteous commenters here have never exceeded the speed limit on public roads or accelerated faster than necessary, since that would be rather hypocritical. I can fairly certainly say that we've all broken laws on public streets, this guy just happened to get caught, and posted about it. And quite frankly quickly accelerating up to the speed limit is probably less dangerous to others than exceeding the speed limit, which people do all the time.

I think, for the most part, that posters are just a bit gobsmacked that the OP would choose to bait a cop in the way he did. And then, of course, as this forum does ... it has devolved into what exactly he could be cited for, specific laws and interpretation. Because that's what we *do*.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

... and JRP3, you know you're on my list of 'forum members I like' :) ... but surely you can see the humor of people (not just you) self-righteously calling others self-righteous.

-drops mic-

You couldn't walk away from it without a guilty conscience. If you have one. Looks like you might, since you repeated twice you would not let the poor innocent victim suffer for your stupidity. I pulled in front of a truck the other night, and once we were both off the highway I saw it was a sheriff. So, not saying I don't do stupid things also, but its sure easier to see them when other people do them. But the people on this forum are a little self-righteous for my taste, by and large. You definitely picked the wrong forum to share a "I pissed off a cop" story. Although I guess you know that now! LOL!

I think its going to be harder than you think to straighten out the mess you made (oh, I get from your comments that you blame the cop who ticketed the wrong guy, but its your mess, like it or not). I hope you stick with it and make sure the innocent guy is cleared.

Hmmm. I guess I find myself on the side of the self-righteous on this one.

Yeah. All good. I'll head downtown tomorrow to try to straighten this out. Why else would I be holding a ticket TO someone else and WANT to pay it if I wasn't telling the truth - I hope the courthouse people understand that.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you 18? You deserved to have to book thrown at you. You got off light, count your blessings and grow up a bit.

I'm 43 but act 18 sometimes I suppose. Life is too short. WAY too short - that's also why I ordered my MS Saturday!

- - - Updated - - -

I just put this on my list of why we need improvements in the 'valet mode'.

the loaners aren't in valet mode, so I'm not sure what your question/concern is. Acceleration is clearly not governed for the loaners although the max speed is limited to 80.

- - - Updated - - -

AMEN!

Sounds like the OP violated Florida 316.191, a misdemeanor. The penalty includes a fine of $500-1000 and revoking the person's drivers license for 1 year.

Either you or the cop was incorrect, because he cited a $160 ticket for the "unsafe start".

- - - Updated - - -

Mod note: few posts moved to snippiness

And I'm sorry if I created a thread that didn't belong. I had just ordered my MS, got a loaner for the first time, enjoyed the heck out of it (maybe too much), and thought the story was worth sharing. Sorry to create a mess of a thread if so. cs

- - - Updated - - -

Take it to a racetrack, auto cross, or drag strip.
There is no other responsible way to get your money's worth.

I don't understand anyone who buys a powerful sports car and doesn't do that.

Dude, even the cop told me to take it somewhere off the beaten path if i wanted to test the car out. Get off the soapbox.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I see.

As for the OP being pleased that he didn't get the ticket, I could be wrong, but I didn't read it that way. I read it as him poking more fun at the cop, who he was annoyed at, for getting it wrong. Below is what he wrote. He even refers to the guy as "some poor guy."

Right. The fact that the cop got it wrong after I spelled out my name, address, date of birth, and everything is just unfathomable! I am heading down to the courthouse tomorrow to take care of the ticket - no doubt. Just amazing that the cop was that ignorant or incompetent that he couldn't find my record. I suppose this is why we're supposed to carry our licenses at all times.

As far as the lane ending for the cop - it's about a mile away. Us locals know that lane ends down the road. There was plenty of road for him to merge. As a matter of fact, he put his lights on and pulled me over before we were even to that merge area of the roadway. So, I was absolutely not being a jerk about not "letting him in" - again, I was going the speed limit of 45 and he could have easily passed me and merged over. He just wanted to flex his muscles because his doors were completely blown off by a car that doesn't use a drop of gas. That's all.

He just wanted to flex his muscles because his doors were completely blown off by a car that doesn't use a drop of gas. That's all.
That is definitely not "all". The officer had no intention of racing you or making any attempt to see which which car was quicker off the line. Police don't do that. You are imagining that scenario. You were cited for violating a traffic law. Which based on your own description you clearly did.

OP, this reminds me of my days as a fresh wetback in MA. A friend would give me his car to drive
as long as I took him to work and back. He was in a senior position and always behind schedule so
he told me that the for the BMW 7-series the law said yellow is equal to green. Cop pulled me over
on red and gave me a ticket using my Bulgarian DL while he tried to roughly latinize the
cyrillic characters. After he left we laughed until we saw double, then tore it up.

Needless to say I always stop if I see the yellow light come since then, although I may need surgery
on my right foot, it gets heavier all the time:)