Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_2020-05-01-23-56-55-1.png

Points to make
2 fatalities in the 50-59 out of just over 1,000 cases, hmmm 0.2%cfr
40-49 had 1 fatality, but it was a foreigner who caught it offshore australian, but treated in australia and died. I accept that it should report to australia compared to any other country, but i dont feel it is relevant to australians otherwise. So no australian fatality in 40-49 bracketor any younger bracket. So for ages less than 60, it is a barely fatal disease. (So whats the difference if its not human or viral genetics?)

they stole my idea. oh well.

Airport’s bizarre robot to fight coronavirus

I was thinking: perhaps it would make sense to have some robot 'cart' ride around at work (typical office environment, grid of desks) and slowly go thru all the paths, at night, with uvc lights. the building would be ensured to be person, animal and plant-free (hard to make some offices plant-free, but maybe we need to, now) but I think it could be done.

automated navigation by a little buggy inside the office, on a trained simple path, with no one around and perhaps a security guy looking at it while it does its thing (remotely) - would not be hard to make and it could do its round each nite and probably finish enough coverage by start of day next day.

I bet this is going to happen. it sounds like there is already some thought about this, via the article.

comments on the idea? should we do more of that?

There are some hopeful things like the UK/Oxford?
Adrian Hill, Director, Jenner Institute at Oxford University, says their vacine may be available in 6 mths because it has been in development for decades (an effort to stop other corona viruses).

They adjusted their vacine for Covid-19 and tested it on 6 monkeys at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Montana. The monkeys did not get sick after exposure to the virus.

Manufacturers are scaling for production. If futher trials are successful, the first batches for humans may be available in Europe by September.

Director Hill told NBC News on Tue, Apr 28: "We are aiming to make 100s of millions of doses of the vacine."

"A UPMC doctor on Thursday made a case the death rate for people infected with the new coronavirus may be as low as 0.25%"
Yealy went on to offer a hypothetical scenario of 3% of Allegheny County residents being exposed — a conservative number compared to the findings of the New York and California studies.

That would mean about 36,000 people in Allegheny have been exposed to the coronavirus. With 94 COVID-19 deaths in the county as of Thursday, it would mean 0.25 percent of people exposed to the coronavirus had died, he said.
WTF? o_O
Hell, why not apply New York state's 14% to the entire country?
Do you even read articles before you post them?
It seems like a better methodology would be to find a region of New York with similar number of deaths and demographics and use the data from there. They broke up the New York serology survey by region. You could probably do the math yourself instead of relying on innumerate media reporting.

Last edited:
View attachment 537713

Points to make
2 fatalities in the 50-59 out of just over 1,000 cases, hmmm 0.2%cfr
40-49 had 1 fatality, but it was a foreigner who caught it offshore australian, but treated in australia and died. I accept that it should report to australia compared to any other country, but i dont feel it is relevant to australians otherwise. So no australian fatality in 40-49 bracketor any younger bracket. So for ages less than 60, it is a barely fatal disease. (So whats the difference if its not human or viral genetics?)
Another thing to keep in mind is that majority of Australia's cases were in people who contracted the virus while traveling overseas. I would guess that this group is healthier than the general population.
Maybe 0.2% is barely fatal to Australians. :p Keep in mind that there are still 28 people in ICU and I wouldn't be surprised if younger people are overrepresented in that group (because they survive longer on a ventilator). I'm not sure if anyone understands yet why the severity is so much more extreme for older age groups.

they stole my idea. oh well.

Airport’s bizarre robot to fight coronavirus

I was thinking: perhaps it would make sense to have some robot 'cart' ride around at work (typical office environment, grid of desks) and slowly go thru all the paths, at night, with uvc lights. the building would be ensured to be person, animal and plant-free (hard to make some offices plant-free, but maybe we need to, now) but I think it could be done.

automated navigation by a little buggy inside the office, on a trained simple path, with no one around and perhaps a security guy looking at it while it does its thing (remotely) - would not be hard to make and it could do its round each nite and probably finish enough coverage by start of day next day.

I bet this is going to happen. it sounds like there is already some thought about this, via the article.

comments on the idea? should we do more of that?
You could start by robotizing the GermFalcon.

MzU4NDk0MA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Sweden shows 501 deaths over the past 7 days, vs. 752 the prior 7 days. That's an impressive decline. I use 7 day windows for Sweden because their day-to-day numbers are so noisy. The excess death charts don't seem to show massive undercounting in Sweden, either. Their overall COVID death rate is still much higher than neighbors Finland and Norway, and much worse than Germany, but not as bad as Italy/Spain/Belgium.

I mostly ignore confirmed case count, but FWIW theirs was flattish around 4k/week throughout April. More support for the idea that their relaxed countermeasures were enough to push R down to ~1.0.

Do you think its just teh relaxed countermeasures that pushed R down to ~1 or is it a combination of relaxed countermeasure and herd immunity pushing R down?

MzU4NDk0MA.jpeg
Hmm, I wonder if air planes could have built-in UV lights. It could zap those boogers while in flight, not just between flights.

Once I had a whole vacation ruined by catching a virus on the plane. Many others have had that experience. It is an experience that makes you want to avoid flying as much as possible. Controlling the spread of a virus in flight could enhance the value of a flight.

The lockdown in Almeda county is no joke. Fines and jail time.
http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov/shelter-in-place.aspx

http://www.acphd.org/media/572718/health-officer-order-20-10-shelter-in-place-20200429.pdf

"Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.; Cal. Penal Code §§ 69, 148(a)(1))"
I had a lovely mountain bike ride yesterday which appears to also be allowed under the Alameda county orders. I think characterizing the order as a "lockdown" isn't quite accurate.
CONTINUING TO EXEMPT HOMELESS INDIVIDUALS FROM THE ORDER
This must be what Elon read when he decided to sell his houses. It would be nice to know specifically what he would like to do that he cannot legally do right now.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J

MzU4NDk0MA.jpeg

wow. interesting. so that IS a 'thing'.

there's a set of people who work in this field and understand it, have experience in it, know the products and competitors.

99% of us have never had to know about this stuff before, but we sure are getting a fast education.

(btw, shouldn't that guy be wearing better ppe, himself? if that really is uvc, a lot can be reflected back to him while he' walking with that).

the problem with office parks in the US is that most that I've worked at all have sealed in windows that you can't open; and you have to ventillate the room after you uv zap it (lots of ozone left). I question how well current industrial buildings for office workers would be able to vent this well enough each nite, if they did have a nite long uv robot visit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld

http://www.acphd.org/media/572718/health-officer-order-20-10-shelter-in-place-20200429.pdf

"Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.; Cal. Penal Code §§ 69, 148(a)(1))"

Yeah, the way I read that it does not seem restrictive at all! Can pretty much do anything I would want to do. The only annoyance is if people are irresponsible and they close beaches or parks or trails - but seem to be going the right way on that - many of those are open now!

I too wonder what exactly Elon thinks he cannot do. Other than open his factory of course - seems like he should be focused on doing that, rather than trying to sell all his worldly possessions. He does not appear to be attempting to reopen the factory in any reasonable way, which I find to be odd.

Hmm, I wonder if air planes could have built-in UV lights. It could zap those boogers while in flight, not just between flights.

Once I had a whole vacation ruined by catching a virus on the plane. Many others have had that experience. It is an experience that makes you want to avoid flying as much as possible. Controlling the spread of a virus in flight could enhance the value of a flight.

uvc will kill lots of things.

you want to avoid killing the passengers, though. it affects sales (in the future).

Go out and look. Drive around. Do you see day laborers wearing PPE? Do you see the PD telling them to disperse? Such laws will have little effect on the majority of those who get infected.
The off-the-books workers never skipped a beat. I'm as guilty as anyone since our common area maintenance and our office cleaning probably uses illegals for labor. We do not interface with their staff at all though, we are not within 30' of their staff at any time, and we required them to be masked to be on our property.

This is feel good law will mostly be used to arrest protesters. Thank God they suspended the BoR for 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger