Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many qualities a person must have to keep a highly visible and responsible position in government for 40 years. One of them is being a skilled diplomat. It would be out of character for Dr. Fauci to enumerate, for publication, the number of times he has disagreed with his big boss. If you were paying attention, you would know there has been more than one public disagreement. Think: how long it takes for a vaccine to approved, manufactured and widely dispensed.
I thought Fauci was remarkably candid:

Trump "listens" and then ignores the advice
Fauci then goes on the talk circuit to correct the most egregious of the lies, BS and ignorance

Actually it's not. It's a really piss-poor analogy you picked.

These are people that arguably have a chronic medical condition, that is non-infectious (i.e. R0 = 0), and have been dying at a slow, predictable rate that does NOT tax the medical system.

SARS-CoV-2 is an acute shock to the system.

Pick your poison - you let up to 2 million Americans die because you don't do anything, or you deal with the economic fall-out.

Arguably, the latter you can control better than the former.

Who here is advocating we do “nothing”?

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
I didn't know that the coronary infarctions, strokes, acute limb ischemias and infections related to smoking were not acute and routinely seen in the ER. Well, live and learn.

They are acute complications of a chronic disease. The POINT is they are modeled for in number of hospital and ICU beds.

Plain and simply - NO COUNTRY in the world models and prepares for a once-in-100 year pandemic.

They are acute complications of a chronic disease. The POINT is they are modeled for in number of hospital and ICU beds.

Plain and simply - NO COUNTRY in the world models and prepares for a once-in-100 year pandemic.

And when it hits, we must tackle it at any cost. Regardless of it's relative significance to other diseases or human pollution. And regardless of the fallout. There's no middle ground where we decide that a certain body count is sensible relative to the actions we take. Gotcha.

Closing the economy increase crime, child abandonment, abortions, poverty, hunger, domestic violence, suicide and drug abuse. Everything here increase death rate as well and can go down hill as fast as this virus can spread.

As have others you are ignoring the lives saved from the lock down, as well as injuries avoided and all their financial consequences. Reduced auto accidents, reduced work accidents, reduction in pollution and associated illness and death.

Someone had a break-down of covid-19 deaths in NY that directly refutes this. 29 of the 63 deaths were 45-75, while the rest were over 75+. Generally poor health is a risk factor, but doesn't mean that the US is predominantly of poor health.
50% of adult Americans are estimated to be diabetic/pre-diabetic. We don't even test for insulin resistance - so we only find out someone is a risk factor after their pancreas is damaged.

And when it hits, we must tackle it at any cost. Regardless of it's relative significance to other diseases or human pollution. And regardless of the fallout. There's no middle ground where we decide that a certain body count is sensible relative to the actions we take. Gotcha.
The body count you seem to find acceptable would cause economic catastrophe.

50% of adult Americans are estimated to be diabetic/pre-diabetic. We don't even test for insulin resistance - so we only find out someone is a risk factor after their pancreas is damaged.
We do test. My friend said he was told he was pre-diabetic. I don't know what percentage of doctors test for that.

It's my understanding that the US has reported 400 total coronovirus deaths to this point. Who are these 1200+ people you speak of?

I misread a chart. :confused:
Apologies for the bad data but the point is that younger people have and will continue to die from this directly as well as have long lasting negative effects which could lead to early death later in life.

Frankly, I am not impressed by his leadership in this covid19 event. He claimed only focused on research part. I applauded his effort to donate 100s millions of vaccine to Africa for other pandemic. But how many tests, PPEs and masks he tried to secure, prepare and donated to hospital this time?

Well, as a floor, >=$100,000,000*? The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is exploring at-home COVID-19 tests in Seattle

That said, I'm not impressed by his leadership on...Teslas

*...google 'gates foundation seattle testing', About 8,250,000 results (0.46 seconds)

Those morons chose to put their lives at risk. I have zero empathy or sympathy for them.

With SARS-CoV-2 no one is given a choice.
Moreover, smoking kills over time. It’s not like half a million dying smokers end up in the ER and need vents at the same time. That is chronic illness, and places different stress on the medical system than COVID-19.

So with government check for two months, it is ok to shut down 2 months?

Only has been a month with the promise of checks coming. Give it some more months and people will be on the streets.

86% of Americans are 3 blank checks away from being homeless. It's a massive effing problem because of how people live. So the government has to throw the biggest social UBI just to keep people from going hungry. People in China wouldn't even care since the majority of those people have months worth of emergency funds.

This is why a total shutdown really needs to be weighed with it's pros and cons. I mean some of these businesses laying off people in masses(including Disney right now) just tells you how leveraged everything else.

Manageable how. If this was China when people has a savings rate of over 18%, then year sure. But 86% of this country lives paycheck to paycheck. Hey did you see any checks written to any Chinese by the government because they were forced to sit at home for a month? You have to here or else people will be looting on the street.

Easy. Our GDP this year is $20T. Let's say we shut down the economy for 6 weeks. The cost of that would be $2.5T. That looks like about what we're spending, and it's less because many sectors are only mildly affected.

We then pay it back over 30 years at our 1.5% interest rate. It costs us $60b per year which becomes a 3rd digit in a GDP growth rate.

We can easily weather this, but we just need to ACTUALLY do this. Spending that money without a shutdown would be a waste.

We do test. My friend said he was told he was pre-diabetic. I don't know what percentage of doctors test for that.
Don't want to get off-track but that pre-diabetic diagnosis (usually morning blood sugar over 90) is different from insulin resistance test I mentioned. Ofcourse even when someone is pre-diabetic or diabetic we don't ask them to strictly control their carb intake.

BTW, getting back on topic. Since some 90M of Americans or uninsured or underinsured, they simply do not get checked regularly. So they probably don't know if they have risk factors.

ps :

Low-carb Lab Testing — Part 7 — The Kraft Test (Hyperinsulinemia) - Heads Up Health

Joseph Kraft: Why hyperinsulinemia matters

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33