Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep ON or OFF?

Creep ON or OFF?

• Creep ON

Votes: 152 34.8%
  • Creep OFF

Votes: 277 63.4%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about! What is this Creep Stuff all about?

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to put it OFF on one small trip and didn't like the experience or was not focusing on the pros/cons and turned it back ON.

This discussion and poll results have encouraged me to give OFF another but proper try this time.

The car says "STOP"? Are you making a joke and I'm not understanding or is there something about the Model S I am not aware of? I have not seen my rear camera display any text.

Heh, sorry. You would think with how long I've been following this company and the Model S specifically, I'd remember that the sensor suite wasn't always default. Heck, I was even planning on not getting parking sensors when they were an option because I didn't like the little circles on the bumper.

This is probably not great from a variety of angles, but sometimes when I'm bored at lights where the grade will make me roll back I play around with the throttle and let the car rock back and forth. Roll back a couple inches, move forward a couple inches, roll back, etc etc. Helps pass the time at the light and I'm already on the accelerator when the green comes.

In a P85D, if you have Insane Mode on and Creep on, does that make you an "Insane Creep?"
Odd that you would mention that. exactly those sentiments were expressed about me quite recently, although nobody making the comment seemed to know anything about tesla's little pseudo-ICE option.

I used to leave creep on and thought having it off was a horrible decision. Changed it to off and the car feels so different and finally complete. Creep off is the real way to go and how the car was designed to be driven.

As weird as it sounds, because it seems to be such a minor thing, I'd stop enjoying driving the car if I couldn't turn creep off.
I bet it would make no difference in your overall driving experience. Try it: turn it on for a few days. Then turn it back off. As you say, it is a minor thing. Everyone has their own preference, and the beauty is everyone can have it the way they want. Except for those who want it to only creep in reverse.

I NEVER use creep on. Hate it.

Every once in a while, someone changes the mode to creep on (I allow total strangers to play with the console) and it freaks me for a second or two before I realize what happened.
---
I hated driving automatics that crept forward, for that matter. Until my Tesla I preferred driving a stick.

I bet it would make no difference in your overall driving experience. Try it: turn it on for a few days. Then turn it back off. As you say, it is a minor thing. Everyone has their own preference, and the beauty is everyone can have it the way they want. Except for those who want it to only creep in reverse. 

Yeah, I tried it enough, every time I rented an automatic (I've only owned standard.) I can't get used to the whole concept of the car moving when I'm not pressing any of the pedals. To each their own though, as long as it's an option, I'm good. Not wrong to have creep on, just wrong for me :)

As I'm not an owner yet, I THINK you can save each setting to your driver profile and have it on for her and off for you.

I really wish creep was a driver profile setting. My wife wants it on, I hate it... So, it's typically on.

It's not part of the driver profile.
My guess is that it will never be part of the profile (in its current form) for safety reasons.
It means that the car could start to roll after a profile switch, which could creep out (yay!) some folks that are not expecting it.

Energy efficiency?
Does anyone know if having creep "on" leads to lower energy efficiency?
I might imagine that if you have creep on and are sitting at a traffic light at a full stop with your foot on the brake that the creep might be using energy to try to move the car forward... OTOH, it might be smart enough to automatically shut off the creep when you have your foot on the brake.
Anybody know?

Energy efficiency?
I might imagine that if you have creep on and are sitting at a traffic light at a full stop with your foot on the brake that the creep might be using energy to try to move the car forward... OTOH, it might be smart enough to automatically shut off the creep when you have your foot on the brake.
Anybody know?

My wife sits in stop and go traffic to/from work. Her DS told her creep mode was more efficient for this type of travel.
(I wasn't allowed at her car delivery!)

Energy efficiency?
Anybody know?

As far as I know, creep mode doesn't try to accelerate if your foot is on the brake while stopped (reasonably firmly). So the only time it would use additional energy is if you press so lightly that it doesn't switch off. That said, I've never used creep mode.

As far as I know, creep mode doesn't try to accelerate if your foot is on the brake while stopped (reasonably firmly). So the only time it would use additional energy is if you press so lightly that it doesn't switch off. That said, I've never used creep mode.

When I had it on for the week or so after I took delivery, it seemed to me that power was cut as soon as you pressed the brake enough to activate the brake lights. That is to say with a very light touch and not enough to even pinch the calipers against the rotors. I doubt it would contribute to higher energy consumption.