Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current HW2 Autopilot using 2 of 8 cameras * Testing Inside *

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this mean? What do you get if you do not get EAP or add FSD? I assume only the emergency/safety features (as stated). How would you get AP1? I thought that implied HW1?

Or am I missing something here?

Well, this may be irrelevant, but there is sort of a middle version between AP1 and EAP - which is the Autopilot those got who ordered AP1 but got AP2 hardware and did not pay the extra fee. This subset of cars will get a limited EAP that mimicks AP1... (one active camera).

Currently there probably is not any difference as the current EAP beta seems to be very limited as is...

Well, this may be irrelevant, but there is sort of a middle version between AP1 and EAP - which is the Autopilot those got who ordered AP1 but got AP2 hardware and did not pay the extra fee. This subset of cars will get a limited EAP that mimicks AP1... (one active camera).

Currently there probably is not any difference as the current EAP beta seems to be very limited as is...
Huh... I would have thought they would have been 'grandfathered' into EAP. But, yeah.

And 'one active camera'? What you think EAP/AP2/HW2 has? :) We're right here in that thread... Yeah, it will diverge soon... Maybe Tuesday... :)

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
Huh... I would have thought they would have been 'grandfathered' into EAP. But, yeah.

And 'one active camera'? What you think EAP/AP2/HW2 has? :) We're right here in that thread... Yeah, it will diverge soon... Maybe Tuesday... :)
For those of us who purchased and were awaiting delivery before EAP was announced, we were given the option of paying the difference in price to upgrade to EAP (either $2000 or $2500, depending on what we paid for AP1 functionality) or sticking with AP1 functionality.

I was contacted by phone and email multiple times and decided to upgrade to EAP but held off on FSD.

Yep, I think EAP at the moment uses only one active camera. :) But that is a different point...

My point is that Tesla actually said it would ship one active camera only (even when EAP is finalized for four cameras) for that subset of cars I mentioned, unless those owners who paid of AP1 but got AP2 hardware, pay the difference in AP1 vs. EAP price to upgrade.

Are you suggesting they will increase the cost for after-delivery upgrade only (software switches), or require upgrades to all 2.0 vehicles?

They could raise the price of the after-delivery option once everything is completed and working well. We saw that with AP1, they raised the price by $500 at one point, even for people that bought their car before the price increase. i.e. You don't have a contract to buy EAP, or FSD, in the future at a set price.

Reactions: croman
They could raise the price of the after-delivery option once everything is completed and working well. We saw that with AP1, they raised the price by $500 at one point, even for people that bought their car before the price increase. i.e. You don't have a contract to buy EAP, or FSD, in the future at a set price.

Don't forget the very similar practice with maintenance plans and services. When I bought the car, service appointments cost roughly half of what they do right now, which affected my decision to not get a service plan.

Had I known how Tesla would change service plans a few months after my purchase, I would've made a different decision.

They have already done that. I got my car in December, before AP2/EAP did anything at all. If I didn't buy it at delivery, upgrading to EAP was $3,000 instead of $2,000. Yep, 50% more to wait until it's working. I guess they could go even higher....

I suppose anything is possible, but I seriously doubt Tesla would stoop that low.
I brought this up back when for something else, and I was told it had already happened... someone had wanted to upgrade something (I don't recall if it was a battery pack or something else that was on the original webpage as 'available after purchase for $X,000, meaning extra $1000', etc.), and they were told the current price was $Y,000. You are not guaranteed the price on 'your' webpage at time of purchase. I would hope that would be the case, but looks not so.

I brought this up back when for something else, and I was told it had already happened... someone had wanted to upgrade something (I don't recall if it was a battery pack or something else that was on the original webpage as 'available after purchase for $X,000, meaning extra $1000', etc.), and they were told the current price was $Y,000. You are not guaranteed the price on 'your' webpage at time of purchase. I would hope that would be the case, but looks not so.
Anecdotes are nice, but the configure page has no qualifiers on the upgrade price.

Egads... I get the message, but it's really hard right now to plop down $3K for the self-driving upgrade when it seems so far away, potentially impossible to achieve given the existing hardware.

If you were to order a new Tesla now, would you go for it, or wait until it's an actuality?

Yep, I think EAP at the moment uses only one active camera. :) But that is a different point...

My point is that Tesla actually said it would ship one active camera only (even when EAP is finalized for four cameras) for that subset of cars I mentioned, unless those owners who paid of AP1 but got AP2 hardware, pay the difference in AP1 vs. EAP price to upgrade.
I paid for AP1 but have AP2 hardware. My car has all of the messages for EAP (It says something like, "this car is equipped with EAP"), shows stop signs occasionally, and when I inquired with Tesla (before delivery and at delivery), was informed my car has EAP software. Oddly, I was never asked to upgrade via phone or email. Perhaps I lucked out, or perhaps I'll find out next week that I have a crappier version of AP1 on an AP2 car!

I paid for AP1 but have AP2 hardware. My car has all of the messages for EAP (It says something like, "this car is equipped with EAP"), shows stop signs occasionally, and when I inquired with Tesla (before delivery and at delivery), was informed my car has EAP software. Oddly, I was never asked to upgrade via phone or email. Perhaps I lucked out, or perhaps I'll find out next week that I have a crappier version of AP1 on an AP2 car!

I bet you ordered before the AP announcement (October-ish), but your build was after the change, so like my also "lucky" friend, got a free upgrade to AP 2.0 hardware. However, you may should have been contacted to upgraded to EAP for $2000 or $2500.

The downside is you are still hampered by the 2.0 evolving release of advancements, but you may eventually have the capability of the smarter AP (better radar and front-cameras, faster processor), and for an additional $4000 (at least currently), you can upgrade to self-driving capabilities.

Best to check with your Service Center if you will have 2.0 EAP, or just limited to 1.0, and have to spend bigger bucks to get to EAP.

Or just be quiet and see what happens.

Last edited:
I bet you ordered before the AP announcement (October-ish), but your build was after the change, so like my also "lucky" friend, got a free upgrade to AP 2.0 hardware. However, you may should have been contacted to upgraded to EAP for $2000 or $2500.

The downside is you are still hampered by the 2.0 evolving release of advancements, but you may eventually have the capability of the smarter AP (better radar and front-cameras, faster processor), and for an additional $4000 (at least currently), you can upgrade to self-driving capabilities.

Best to check with your Service Center if you will have 2.0 EAP, or just limited to 1.0, and have to spend bigger bucks to get to EAP.

Or just be quiet and see what happens.
Service center said I had EAP but I'll quietly wait for full confirmation. Ordered Jan '16 and car was built Feb '17. I received quite a few free "upgrades" and 1/2 price air suspension for my wait - made it all worth it.

Does it mean nothing to you that this already has happened with AP1.0 when the package price increased? When it did, the wording simply changed and the after-the-fact upgrade price went up for EVERYONE.
This fascinates me. Is there a thread on it with screenshots and such? Thanks. I see how they can change a feature and thus change the price (although this is still rather distasteful - and perhaps bait-and-swtich), but there really isn't "fuller" self-driving.

This fascinates me. Is there a thread on it with screenshots and such? Thanks. I see how they can change a feature and thus change the price (although this is still rather distasteful - and perhaps bait-and-swtich), but there really isn't "fuller" self-driving.
Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

I don't have screenshots, but that is the Electrek article of it happening. The price increase was for AP 1.0 once it was extremely solid, and applied to even to those who purchased the car before the price increase.

All of the "enable after delivery" pricing appears volatile. As do maintenance/service appointment costs.

Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

I don't have screenshots, but that is the Electrek article of it happening. The price increase was for AP 1.0 once it was extremely solid, and applied to even to those who purchased the car before the price increase.

All of the "enable after delivery" pricing appears volatile. As do maintenance/service appointment costs.
Thanks for that link. I can't tell from it whether the price increase applied retroactively to previous orders. The service costs aren't part of the order contract. The post-delivery software updates, though, are part of the configuration of The Vehicle.