Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current HW2 Autopilot using 2 of 8 cameras * Testing Inside *

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did test this today, covered up the cameras again:
View attachment 217568

TACC is still available and works fine (lanes are missing of course):
View attachment 217570

The direction of the car in front is not always shown correctly (I assume the camera is used for that):
View attachment 217571

I also looked for how it acted in curves and towards cars in adjacent lanes, and it handled it fine. The car did not lock on to or follow the speed of cars in adjacent lanes in curves, which means Tesla also does some kind of calculation similar to the Audi radar only ACC approach I described in my post above.
When you think about it (as @lunitiks also says above), it is a logical and sensible approach to make the system as robust as possible so it can still work when one or more sensors does not give useful data at the moment.
This kind of testing shows the major flaw in the original assumption. If applying the same logic as the original, then this result would suggest TACC does not use the cameras. Obviously we know that is not the case.

So things are not so simple: just because the autopilot feature is allowed to activate or be used with some cameras blocked does not necessarily mean they are not used at all.

This kind of testing shows the major flaw in the original assumption. If applying the same logic as the original, then this result would suggest TACC does not use the cameras. Obviously we know that is not the case.

So things are not so simple: just because the autopilot feature is allowed to activate or be used with some cameras blocked does not necessarily mean they are not used at all.

Sure, but given the Eds history, I would actually err on the side of some insider info in this thread...

It seems someone knows what they are talking about and experiment after experiment comes to support that.

We are probably wise to listen, as with Eds.

Sure, but given the Eds history, I would actually err on the side of some insider info in this thread...

It seems someone knows what they are talking about and experiment after experiment comes to support that.

We are probably wise to listen, as with Eds.
What insider info are you talking about? And just because there was one instance that insider info was correct doesn't mean that by default all insider info should be trusted (for example during the refresh there were rumors that it would come with AP 2, which turned out to be wrong).

What insider info are you talking about? And just because there was one instance that insider info was correct doesn't mean that by default all insider info should be trusted (for example during the refresh there were rumors that it would come with AP 2, which turned out to be wrong).

I agree not all info we hear can be trusted. I also agree there were hints of "AP2" that referred to a mid-version with Mobileye that did not come to fruition. No disagreement there. I don't blindly trust anyone and even sources that do know, may fall victim to changing plans.

But in this case I think we have, by now, more reason to trust @Bladerskb as a baseline than any other speculation IMO. Call it intuition. Electrek and experiments have been confirming things he says more and more. Whether inside sources or some other data points, they seem to be the best we've got so far.

So, IMO, below is quoted quite likely where things stand regarding EAP/FSD. Plus, it all makes sense. EAP as basically an AP1 with future camera-based blind spot detection (the one major weakness of AP1), makes sense.

I been told you people from day one that they were only using 1 camera to replicate ap1. but you ppl refuse to listen.
secondly the camera they are using is the main camera not the wide.

Don't hold your breath that more cameras will be used.
The two rearward facing cameras will be used to change lanes only for example.
EAP is primarily based on one camera configuration. In the conference Elon said they use the user redundant front cameras. (Main and Narrow).

The real FSD development and EAP development are two seperate teams.
and when i say real FSD development, i don't mean the EAP dev team that will start working on partial FSD features when EAP is done.

I have said things that most people today come to take as facts.
But before I was killed for it.

EAP HW2 - my experience thus far... [DJ Harry] (only one camera active)

Enhanced Autopilot 2 may never happen before Full Self Driving is ready! (my accurate predicted timeline)

But I have been right for every one of it. whether its the delay or ap currently using only one camera, or the fact that mapping is required for meaningful self lane-change and off/on-ramp. Anything other than that would be a glorified ap1. The fact that fleet learning is a myth and the fact that shadow mode has taken a life of its own but is actually only a steering validation tool and nothing more.

Great discussion....

Like many, I suspect the next phase of AP 2.0 which will utilize the 4 cameras for Enhanced AP is still on hold until more advanced testing is performed, while the full 8 camera implementation for what Tesla calls "Self-driving" is still a year or two away.

Perhaps the most significant question is if the current AP 2.0 hardware, including the 8 cameras, single radar unit, GPS, advanced processing unit and ultrasonic sensors will be all that is required for Level 5 Autonomy by the regulator's approval for city and highway... or will additional hardware be required... additional radar, LIDAR, even more advanced processing unit, etc.

Also, has Tesla provided enough disclaimer language in the order / design sections to avoid providing a refund for those that prepaid the $3000 Self-driving upgrade if never fully approved for all public roads?

Will the ability to "auto-summons" the vehicle from the garage to the end of the driveway on private property be sufficient to claim the upgrade was delivered and refund not required if public domain self-driving is not fully approved?

Time will tell. For me, the AP 1.0 functions as well as expected, and no desire to upgrade exists for now, other than perhaps to a 100D.

Or the $8K. :p

Well, I can't imagine that the Enhanced AP will not be upgraded very soon to exceed the AP-beta functionality, but you never know.... so avoiding that for now is really a statement about not planning to use AP at all...

I'd be shocked if anyone is currently ordering a Tesla without the Enhanced AP...something we may never know other than polling a forum or Tesla employees.

Well, I can't imagine that the Enhanced AP will not be upgraded very soon to exceed the AP-beta functionality, but you never know.... so avoiding that for now is really a statement about not planning to use AP at all...

I'd be shocked if anyone is currently ordering a Tesla without the Enhanced AP...something we may never know other than polling a forum or Tesla employees.

Oh I meant it could be $8K for FSD alone when it's fully functioning and has regulatory approval.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Oh I meant it could be $8K for FSD alone when it's fully functioning and has regulatory approval.

I have a screenshot of the Design Center that states $3000 at time of order, or $4000 after delivery. (below) It is not a contract, but could they really jack around with those of us that want more proof before lay out thousands for current "vaporware"

Are you suggesting they will increase the cost for after-delivery upgrade only (software switches), or require upgrades to all 2.0 vehicles?

My fear is 2.0 will never be approved, but a later generation will be better equipped, such as an addition of LIDAR, a 2nd radar, higher res cameras, etc.

I really want to believe Elon's vision and statements, but either he made those claims prematurely, the technology is more challenging than expected, or I am just short on patience, with 2.0 being not at least as functional as my 1.0 beta version.

upload_2017-3-23_14-26-2.png

An option is only open as long as the offer stands. It can be pulled at any time. Don't expect Telsa not to increase the costs once the features are being rolled out and they feel the market will pay more just because they once offered it for cheaper.