Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owners of 40 kWh configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Tesla dropped the 40->60 upgrade price from $11,000 to $2,500. The upgrade doesn't included Supercharger access which remains an additional $2,500,
What?!! That would be huge news. People have been talking about this for a year or two. Where did you get this update? I haven't seen anything from Tesla. Was it from a service center or on the phone from Tesla headquarters, or what?

Any S40 owner haven't upgraded their MS by this time, they will never do it. $2500 is better than nothing.
Well, yes and no. You're right in the paradigm of people keeping the car forever. What Tesla is still hoping for is that they will get this back at some point on a trade-in, and then they can make it a 60kwh and get much more than $2,500 in increased value when they resell it.

Reactions: Akikiki
I’m having a hard time with this. I don’t know if spending $2,500 now will increase the eventual resale value by a like amount . From a practical standpoint I have never driven more than 100 miles in a day, and an average workday is about 20 miles of driving tops. I have enough range for now and can only hope the price will be the same or lower if and when I ever need it. I plan to hold onto this car for at least 4 more years.

I’m having a hard time with this. I don’t know if spending $2,500 now will increase the eventual resale value by a like amount . From a practical standpoint I have never driven more than 100 miles in a day, and an average workday is about 20 miles of driving tops. I have enough range for now and can only hope the price will be the same or lower if and when I ever need it. I plan to hold onto this car for at least 4 more years.

I can't see the price ever being lower than this. And I certainly see it increasing the resale value by that much. I can see that a lot of people wouldn't even consider a 40. If I had a 40, and I planned on keeping it, I wouldn't hesitate.

Just curious. If Tesla says the $2500 upgrade is for a limited time. After that, it goes back to $10k, will you do it?

Well, yes and no. You're right in the paradigm of people keeping the car forever. What Tesla is still hoping for is that they will get this back at some point on a trade-in, and then they can make it a 60kwh and get much more than $2,500 in increased value when they resell it.

Tesla sold a CPO S40 for $20k this summer, they aren't doing that (in every case at least). Somebody got a steal.

There was more than one S40 sold CPO this year, the 20k one was simply the best screwup possible for that buyer. It would make sense for TEsla to upgrade them, but it appears that is not an actual verified policy.

What?!! That would be huge news. People have been talking about this for a year or two. Where did you get this update? I haven't seen anything from Tesla. Was it from a service center or on the phone from Tesla headquarters, or what?

Sorry for the delayed response. I don't read these often.

The 40->60 upgrade was completed at my home via an OTA update. Payment of $2500 was coordinated through the local Service Center. My understanding is that the upgrade was then triggered by the Tesla Engineering Department at HQ in California. For me there was no coordination with the team that triggered the update. I parked the car, then a few hours later I returned to the car and it was a 60. I suspect it was a very simple "bit switch" within the software.

Also, the total cost was $2500 because there's currently no Sales Tax for EVs in WA.

I'm relatively confident the policy is permanent, so gently advise your local Service Center if they are not yet aware of the option. Many(!) Tesla employees are not even aware that the 40s exist, so some persistence may be required.

Sorry for the delayed response. I don't read these often.

The 40->60 upgrade was completed at my home via an OTA update. Payment of $2500 was coordinated through the local Service Center. My understanding is that the upgrade was then triggered by the Tesla Engineering Department at HQ in California. For me there was no coordination with the team that triggered the update. I parked the car, then a few hours later I returned to the car and it was a 60. I suspect it was a very simple "bit switch" within the software.

Also, the total cost was $2500 because there's currently no Sales Tax for EVs in WA.

I'm relatively confident the policy is permanent, so gently advise your local Service Center if they are not yet aware of the option. Many(!) Tesla employees are not even aware that the 40s exist, so some persistence may be required.

Thanks so much for this post! When I first called they said that whoever they did was a mistake and that it costs $11K to upgrade a 40 to 60. I called armed with the information above, and I have an appointment scheduled to do it for $2500!! :D

The battery unlock involves only software. If supercharging is added and the S40 has the original charger, service center may need to upgrade the Master charger as well. My car charger stopped working and was upgraded when the car was 18 months old, so they did not have to change it now.

The battery unlock involves only software. If supercharging is added and the S40 has the original charger, service center may need to upgrade the Master charger as well. My car charger stopped working and was upgraded when the car was 18 months old, so they did not have to change it now.

The S40 has the same charger as every other May/June 2013 model. No new charger should be necessary unless there are unusual circumstances.

When was your car made?

It was delivered May 2013.My car Master charger failed Dec 2014 and was replaced. Tesla customer service line initially says they cannot simply turn on supercharging without upgrading hardware. They directed me to service center which repeated the same line. I then informed them that the Master charger was replaced. They then looked into repair history and confirmed that. They told me that because it was replaced and can handle supercharging so no new hardware is necessary. They never gave me the impression that the charger replacement/upgrade will involve extra cost. I think it is part of the supercharging upgrade cost.