Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owners of 40 kWh configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was delivered May 2013.My car Master charger failed Dec 2014 and was replaced. Tesla customer service line initially says they cannot simply turn on supercharging without upgrading hardware. They directed me to service center which repeated the same line. I then informed them that the Master charger was replaced. They then looked into repair history and confirmed that. They told me that because it was replaced and can handle supercharging so no new hardware is necessary. They never gave me the impression that the charger replacement/upgrade will involve extra cost. I think it is part of the supercharging upgrade cost.
Should tweet to @elonmusk you guys want a Black Friday surprise with a $2500 upgrade from 40 to 60

No need. $2500 is the current 40 -> 60 upgrade price. Now if we can just get Supercharging for less than $2500...

Basically, I got the email back from Tesla about asking about a discount to upgrade to 60 kwh. Basically, I was told that it wouldn't be fair for those who did the upgrade earlier. I see their point.
That is total BS from Tesla. I upgraded my 60D to 75D at a cost of $7000. When they lowered it to $2000 30 days later, Tesla would not do anything for my for the extra $5000 I paid because I upgraded one month early.

Well, I’m finally pulling the trigger on the battery unlock due to the lower price. Appointment made for next week. Now, I just need to decide on supercharging.
One benefit for supercharging would be at resale time. Another is that you can start using the car to do long distance traveling without needing to rely as much on destination charging.

Reactions: Longhorn92
Hi S 40 owners. I’m looking to buy a S 40 and I’ve found one. But, the ad says 2013 S 40, and the interior picture of the car shows a screen with S 60 at the top. There is no badging on the back of the car, except for the company name. How can I tell a S 60 from a S 40? Thanks.
- Anthony

Hi S 40 owners. I’m looking to buy a S 40 and I’ve found one. But, the ad says 2013 S 40, and the interior picture of the car shows a screen with S 60 at the top. There is no badging on the back of the car, except for the company name. How can I tell a S 60 from a S 40? Thanks.
- Anthony

That looks like a software limited 40 that was upgraded to a 60. I did that and asked them not to put the 60 badge on. The 40's did not come with a badge. You can tell it is a 60 because the screen will display the current configuration.

I agree with RodF and markb1. That may have been a sold as a 40, but its now a 60. Its been upgraded for you. It was only a software switch that they flipped the released access to the rest of the battery.

And the badging was a separate thing. None of the regular (I don't remember about the Signature Series,) but none of the 40's 60's or 85's came with badging until about June of '13. As a matter of fact we didn't know our cars were suppose to have or going to have badging until they told us that we could come by the SC and they would install badging. My point is, for the first year, there was no badging - but it wasn't only 40's. So rdon't depend on that being an indicator for you.

We had several 40's in Hawaii. We kept and eye on them and watched when they were sold to new people and resold again, and then upgraded. It was like watching a niece or nephew growing up.

There were only about 400 40's produced. And they were only made for about three months in 2013. And by late 2016' about half had been traded back in to Tesla for newer cars with new tech or larger batteries. Tesla flipped the switch and sold them as CPO 60s. And there were a few that were upgraded for the $11,000 price to 60's. And pretty much the last of them were upgraded to 60's when Tesla reduced the 40-to-60 upgrade price from $11,000 to $2500 or $2000 whichever it was. There's almost most none left in existence.

@ABean85. Why do you think you want a 40? We watched the 40's being resold and traded in. A 40 today would cost you almost as much as a 60 whether it was an upgraded 40 or an factory sold 60.