Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how smart charging and automation interact. If I set the charge limit via automation at a certain time, and I also enable smart charging, how are conflicts resolved?

I ask this because I'd like to set up a two-level charging scheme at home: Charge to 50% immediately when the charger is connected, then smart-charge to 90% by 7 AM. It would be nice to have a more general scheme for charging rules (and geo-fencing as an automation condition), but maybe I can approximate what I want by automatically setting the charge limit to 50% at 7:01 AM while also smart-charging to 90% by 7.

Adding a minimum charge level for smart charging (that would enable immediate charging) would also accomplish this.

Charge to 50% immediately when the charger is connected, then smart-charge to 90% by 7 AM
Mind if I ask why?

I haven't tried this but maybe two schedules in DforT:

1. Charge to 50%, only from 16:00 to 23:59 only for schedule #1.
2. Charge to 90% from 00:00 to 07:00 only for schedule #2.

The weak point I have here is what if your car cannot charge to 90% without beginning before midnight? I'd guess it would charge as much of it as it could in that case, but you might be short - especially if the first charge didn't happen at all, or didn't happen to completion.

Obviously I've not tried this but there is a little bit of logic here. So take it for what it's worth - I will offer a double money back guarantee with my advice too!

Have you been able to set two (or more) active schedules for same location?
Yes. This seems to work. Notice the one day overlap too - DBfT is sometimes confused on which day it is when 1) the charge is scheduled to complete in the AM, but 2] it has to start before midnight to complete. That's rare, but if so it needs to be scheduled the day before.

Although I will admit I'm not sure if Sunday it completes at 7:15 or 10;00, as I have both scheduled. Buy my point is, without a time conflict I think you can have multiple schedules for the same days/location. No?

Screenshot_20180509-041535.png

I'm wondering how smart charging and automation interact. If I set the charge limit via automation at a certain time, and I also enable smart charging, how are conflicts resolved?

I ask this because I'd like to set up a two-level charging scheme at home: Charge to 50% immediately when the charger is connected, then smart-charge to 90% by 7 AM. It would be nice to have a more general scheme for charging rules (and geo-fencing as an automation condition), but maybe I can approximate what I want by automatically setting the charge limit to 50% at 7:01 AM while also smart-charging to 90% by 7.

Adding a minimum charge level for smart charging (that would enable immediate charging) would also accomplish this.

I managed to accomplish this with automatic behaviors.

1: Set charge state to 65% at 12:00pm daily
2: Set charge state to 80% at 4:30am M-F, start charging.

These two behaviors ensure that the car immediately begins charging to 65% as soon as i plug it in. Then, at 4:30 it begins charging to 80% and is ready to go at 6:00am when I leave for work.

@scottf200 , the starting and stopping is it throttling the charging. This can happen when the charge rate setting (20.9 in your case) is too much lower than the actual charge rate it experiences. This charge rate setting is a rolling average over time as more and more actual charge rates are experienced, but you can adjust it immediately by changing the setting yourself leaning towards a higher charge rate (say 22.0).
Can you add a feature that does NOT do this stop start as my does this constantly so the 'rolling average' logic is not working. Once it figures it out after 10 or 20 times it should just stop this silliness. I use TeslaFI and hate seeing 3-4 stop start charging sessions. So please add an option that I can disable this (after I feel it figure out the average or I manually set it) *or* fix the feature so it stops after a while (10 or 20 times).

79Hfsoo.jpg

bAObrtT.jpg

Can you add a feature that does NOT do this stop start as my does this constantly so the 'rolling average' logic is not working. Once it figures it out after 10 or 20 times it should just stop this silliness. I use TeslaFI and hate seeing 3-4 stop start charging sessions. So please add an option that I can disable this (after I feel it figure out the average or I manually set it) *or* fix the feature so it stops after a while (10 or 20 times).
What would be great is if I could turn this ON or OFF for *independently* for each of my Smart Charging setups.
For example, I would turn it OFF for my vacation (50% SOC) and regular nightly home smart charging (using the calculated average)
And I would leave it ON for my roadtrip one as I want that to be more accurate.
VAKJeg1.jpg

Hello, I'm having trouble with the speed clocking feature of the app. It worked in the past on the vehicle in question (Model 3), but when I tried it yesterday and today, I don't get any stats. Clicking on the Start button leaves the section in the state "Waiting for start" but it never starts. The meter at the top of the screen shows no speed or kW.

Hey everyone,

An update is now available for Dashboard for Tesla that brings important bug fixes and a long-awaited feature.

Release Post

-
rUGDisO.png

Wear Summon & HomeLink Support

You can now remotely summon your Tesla and trigger HomeLink right from your Android Wear smart watch.

This feature was promised months ago, but priorities shifted this into the backlog often due to focus on bug fixes, quick-wins, and real-life events.

Summon style is respected on the Wear device, meaning if your summon style is "continuous" (AKA dead-man switch style), then you must press-and-hold the movement buttons the same as you do in the mobile app.

Due to the nature of this feature and to establish your trust in it, it's important you know just what is going on and the safety mechanisms in place. Implementing summon support for the Wear app was no small feat, but safety was the utmost goal to this implementation.

Here are important technical details of the implementation.
  • While the vehicle is stationary, the Summon connection will disconnect if the mobile device is unreachable for at most 5 seconds.

• While the vehicle is moving, the Summon connection will disconnect and the Summon movement will abort if the mobile device is unreachable for at most 2 seconds. This is the slowest possible time for a Summon movement command to abort automatically.

• Minimizing, closing, sleeping, hiding, or otherwise leaving the Summon screen, the Summon connection will disconnect and any Summon movement will abort.

• When deselecting the current Summon movement command, the Summon movement will abort immediately. This is the preferred, intended way to stop a Summon movement command as it is the fastest taking less than 1 second. The above conditions are safeguards, redundant safety measures should this fail or experience connectivity errors.

• All other means of stopping Summon movement are possible, this includes touching a door handle, pressing any button on the keyfob, or blocking the path of the car with a large enough object.

-

Feel free to use this access code for full access to all features the app has to offer, including the new Wear Summon support, usable on your actual Tesla vehicle valid Tuesday-only:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds when signing in like normal.

-

Thanks everyone for your support, sorry for the lull in communication lately it will improve starting today.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm having trouble with the speed clocking feature of the app. It worked in the past on the vehicle in question (Model 3), but when I tried it yesterday and today, I don't get any stats. Clicking on the Start button leaves the section in the state "Waiting for start" but it never starts. The meter at the top of the screen shows no speed or kW.
If it says waiting for start and it's a blue status indicator then you're good to go. That means just punch it / start going. Basically the "waiting to start" status means the starting condition has been met (ie a 0-60 mph scenario has a 0 mph starting condition), and now all you need to do is go.

If it says waiting for start and it's a blue status indicator then you're good to go. That means just punch it / start going. Basically the "waiting to start" status means the starting condition has been met (ie a 0-60 mph scenario has a 0 mph starting condition), and now all you need to do is go.

I am having the same issue on my Model X. Speed clocking no longer works. Speed and instantaneous power no longer show up in the map either. This has happened since version 2018.18.

Can anyone verify that these features still work? Is there a known fix to get speed clocking to work again? I tried reinstalling the app but that did not solve the issue. Thanks.

Reactions: SG57
I am having the same issue on my Model X. Speed clocking no longer works. Speed and instantaneous power no longer show up in the map either. This has happened since version 2018.18.

Can anyone verify that these features still work? Is there a known fix to get speed clocking to work again? I tried reinstalling the app but that did not solve the issue. Thanks.
Interesting, if the telemetry data is not being received (speed and instantaneous power on the map), then that would explain why the speed clocking is stuck on blue as you are effectively stuck at 0. I have a hunch what might be going on, likely an API update. I'll look into it right now.

Reactions: User01
Interesting, if the telemetry data is not being received (speed and instantaneous power on the map), then that would explain why the speed clocking is stuck on blue as you are effectively stuck at 0. I have a hunch what might be going on, likely an API update. I'll look into it right now.

Saw an app update this morning and updated it, but speed clocking is still not working.

@Skidmark , I was able to observe the speed clocking issue for myself a few days ago but have not been able to reproduce it ever since.

Part of me suspects a streaming API failure on Tesla's end due to maintenance or load server outages, but this isn't helpful for us.

If you are able to, can you try to get speed clocking to work again and when it fails immediately go back to the dashboard and to the Settings screen and submit your Logcat and Network log? Maybe do it few times for good measure. All sensitive information is redacted from these logs, passwords, tokens, keys, etc. I welcome everyone to verify for yourself what the logs contain before sending the email.

-

As for the recent update, it was a hotpatch to address a crash around automatic behaviors as well as add a new Protected Account setting for extra security.

When the Protected Account setting is enabled, you are required to successfully sign in to actually enter the dashboard. What this means is entering the dashboard from a notification or from tapping the Controls widget header will not let you in instead will bring you to the sign in screen and require you to sign in. This does not mean simply pausing and resuming the app will require a sign in (such as going to a different app or otherwise minimizing the app)

What this setting allows you to do is prevent unauthorized users from entering the dashboard and having access to everything by simply tapping the Controls widget header or tapping your Camper Mode notification. Do note however that they can still send whatever commands the Controls widget or notification actions offer as those aren't gated by accessing the dashboard once setup.

And honestly, developing that thought a little more this setup can allow your friends and family access to basic information and control over your car from the home-screen widgets without you having to give them access to your account or full access to the dashboard. This isn't too exciting right now as the controls widget offers a lot of functionality with its fixed amount of commands, such as lock, unlock, start car, start HVAC, etc. But once I finish the ability to customize what and how many commands the Controls widget offers then you can imagine. Another perk is you can revoke access at any time from your device by simply signing in to your own account on your device and revoking the authorization token from the settings. This will immediately prevent all communication between your vehicle and your friend's device you setup with the protected account.

Honestly this is nice for me to have right now, I don't want to give my girlfriend keys to my car, but I do want her to be able to get in and out of the car without asking me to open it constantly. I will test it this weekend, I will sign into the app on her Android, enable the protected account setting, then put the Controls widget on her home-screen and close the app. Done, she will only have access to the commands and information the Controls widget offers and nothing more. Attempts to enter the app thru the dashboard would require her to sign in to my account with my credentials she doesn't have. Once the Controls widget is fully customizable I will be able to remove the commands I don't want to give her access to, such as the remote start command.