Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is 10 days old and has 1,200 miles. For the last couple days it was only charging to 231 miles. Yesterday I did a range charge and drove approx 181 miles with 20 miles left to go. Plugged it in and this morning it shows 242 on the standard charge. So maybe a range charge then standard charge would help?

So I should drive it again, get it down to 130 or so and then plug it in for a few days essentially?

How much do you drive per day? If you don't drive more than about 50 miles per day, get the car to around 100 miles of rated range, and charge at 120V 12A, or 240V 6A for a couple of weeks(standard charge). Try to plug it in whenever you can, and see if that makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the service techs had told me that I should be charging to 100% to keep the battery balanced once per month. How often are you guys doing this?

Once per month sounds like overkill, but if you drive it down about 10% right after a max charge so that the car doesn't sit at a high state of charge for long, you should be ok.

Maybe this will do the trick. I'll just run it down over the next couple of days and then charge at a normal 60amps on the HPWC and see what happens.

My car is 10 days old and has 1,200 miles. For the last couple days it was only charging to 231 miles. Yesterday I did a range charge and drove approx 181 miles with 20 miles left to go. Plugged it in and this morning it shows 242 on the standard charge. So maybe a range charge then standard charge would help?

Looks like my concerns were warranted. The battery management system is dead, they are replacing the entire battery for a brand spanking new one.

I'm reading this thread for the first time today. I've been on firmware version 4.5 six weeks now and over the past week or so, my rated range after a standard 90% charge suddenly dropped to about 220 miles. Before I was getting 232 rated range miles after a 90% charge. This morning I did a full range charge that yielded only 245 miles of rated range. This trend seems to mirror akula's problem. I'm gonna have the service center check my car out so I can hopefully avoid waking up to a bricked vehicle.

I'm reading this thread for the first time today. I've been on firmware version 4.5 six weeks now and over the past week or so, my rated range after a standard 90% charge suddenly dropped to about 220 miles. Before I was getting 232 rated range miles after a 90% charge. This morning I did a full range charge that yielded only 245 miles of rated range. This trend seems to mirror akula's problem. I'm gonna have the service center check my car out so I can hopefully avoid waking up to a bricked vehicle.

Do you have an HPWC?

Well, I just got the notification from the car that it wants to upgrade me to 4.5 from 4.4 I have not done so yet. Ironically, today, the day it notified me of the update, is also the day my Standard Charge range dropped from 190 to 189. I did a balance charge. I charged from 100 miles range to full standard at 5 amps 240v and it did not improve. I'm at approx 5,500 miles.

Last edited: