Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my in laws, then my parents, then my brother's family in town and have done range charges to pick them up at the airport and drive them to snowy sites around here etc. The rated range display for my 100% charge has increased from 251 to 257 over the last couple of weeks. Of course I didn't range charge every day and I didn't run it to zero ever, so I may still have some pack imbalance left, but not to a disconcerting degree.

I have like 12,500 miles on my original battery.

That's about the same as mine. I'm assuming you haven't made any attempts to balance the pack yet?

Nope... the previous couple of range charges (spread several weeks apart) I didn't even let finish...

I assume there may be some "imbalance" there... but I'm not inclined to needlessly range charge (much less let it sit at 100% SoC) and then attempt to deplete down to zero miles just for the sake of seeing what amounts to a few miles on the dash.

I have a new theory on this subject. As of Sunday, I was getting 220/219 for a 90% charge. On Monday, boom, 213. I thought "meh, one time thing." On Tuesday, same... 213. I had only seen 213 after a "90% charge" once before. It was sometime last week, maybe Thursday. We had barely driven the car the previous day. Then we had it plugged in at about 213, and in the morning, even though it was set to 90%, which had been 220, it was still at 213. So I thought "either the car thought 'well, close enough, why bother charging?', or the minimal time it took to charge had meant vampire loss had kicked in and brought it right back down". I had seen similar "Since I'm pretty much at that charge state already, I don't feel I need to charge" behavior from the car in the past, so it didn't surprise me to see something similar again.

now, after I've seen it randomly drop off those 6 miles overnight, I'm thinking that when we plug it in and it doesn't have much to charge, it starts to learn that as the "new 90% (or whatever % you charge to)". This would affect people who barely drive their cars more than it would those who drive more.

or maybe, but less likely, when you hop in and vampire drain has been reducing it since it stopped charging, it is learning that as the new "set percentage".

While I highly doubt what we are seeing as degradation (which is why I'm not worried in the long run), especially as some of the heaviest drivers are seeing the least "loss", this is a serious issue that tesla does need to address. Since I am not going to take the chance and drive it below zero, even if the car is just miscalculating the amount of energy it had, this turns into real loss of range (even if it isn't real loss of battery capacity). Losing 30 miles of range is over a 10% loss. That isn't minimal. I can justify that most drives it's fine and it really is similar to other factors (like wind), but at some point this needs to be addressed and fixed. I'm not as stressed about it as it probably isn't actual battery degradation, but it does require acknowledgement and addressing from Tesla.

a month ago, I was getting home from my daily commute with 25-30 miles of range to spare. Now I get home with 16-19. Soon it will be 0. While I could slow down below the speed of traffic to help alleviate the getting home with 0 range initially, that shouldn't be necessary if it wasn't necessary when I started doing this commute.

Last edited:
This is an update to my previous post where I reported range charging to 248 but getting 10 miles of "free" range after driving. I've since done two more range charges, and was expecting to get 258 or so ( thinking I had successfully "balanced" the pack ), however I am now only getting 247 miles on both charges, with no "free" miles afterwards at all. :(

Balancing attempts have failed, and I'm pack to being disappointed with my maximum rated range.

After reading this thread I ran the battery down to 11mi rated and range charged at 12 amps. The range charge went up from 240 to 245 but I noticed that my wh/mile went up from 320 to 360. The ideal mi went up from 277 to 288. The car has 25k mi on it. I used to get 242 rated on a standard charge before they changed to the slider. 12 ideal mile loss on a 15 month old A type battery seems ok but the algorithm changes are driving me crazy.

After reading this thread I ran the battery down to 11mi rated and range charged at 12 amps. The range charge went up from 240 to 245 but I noticed that my wh/mile went up from 320 to 360. The ideal mi went up from 277 to 288. The car has 25k mi on it. I used to get 242 rated on a standard charge before they changed to the slider. 12 ideal mile loss on a 15 month old A type battery seems ok but the algorithm changes are driving me crazy.

Amen re algorithm. But shouldn't get hung up comparing "standard" charges before and after slider because prior "standard" would be nigh impossible to duplicate on slider without REST.

I think recent posts reinforce that we've had too much obsession with balancing and it is not a cure all.

Thanks for posting this, but where does it come from?

It doesn't come from anywhere because it's always been there the whole time. The algorithm has been underreporting range, especially to those who don't use the full range of the battery's charge on a regular basis. The number on the screen is the result of a calculation that has now been changed to better show the true state of charge. So the estimate shows more miles now than it did before. They've always been there.

I've always considered these battery balancing theories and protocols to be essentially nonsense. It's always been the algorithm and now we have confirmation. I do feel bad for those who have been range charging, running their batteries down close to zero, then range charging again hoping to recover range that was never lost to begin with. What those owners have done is put their battery through unnecessarily stressful deep cycles and possibly lowered the pack's long term life. Of course that won't be apparent for a few years, so time will tell.

It doesn't come from anywhere because it's always been there the whole time. The algorithm has been underreporting range, especially to those who don't use the full range of the battery's charge on a regular basis. The number on the screen is the result of a calculation that has now been changed to better show the true state of charge. So the estimate shows more miles now than it did before. They've always been there.

I've always considered these battery balancing theories and protocols to be essentially nonsense. It's always been the algorithm and now we have confirmation. I do feel bad for those who have been range charging, running their batteries down close to zero, then range charging again hoping to recover range that was never lost to begin with. What those owners have done is put their battery through unnecessarily stressful deep cycles and possibly lowered the pack's long term life. Of course that won't be apparent for a few years, so time will tell.

Tomas understood my question, you didn't. I didn't expect him to know where the extra range comes from; nor do I expect you to know where the extra range comes from. You may have your theories, but unless you work on Tesla's software, you don't and you can't know. I am not sure what "confirmation" you are referring to, unless you are referring to release notes, which as far as I am concerned, don't provide a confirmation of the underlying cause of anything.