Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the charge curve from a 100% charge. The bottom blue curve is the power in Ampere. The second curve is the state of charge in percent. The upper curve is the range in miles. Interesting to see that it reaches 100% but still charges at full 40 Amp for a while, then it goes down while the state of charge and range stays the same.

edit: just looked at the some older data from a 100% charge. At that time it had not reached 100% yet but started to reduce the current. It reached 100% shortly after it started to reduce the power and then did the same as seen in this graph, stayed at 100% and decreased power down to zero over about 50 min.
100charge.PNG

Last edited:
Tried another Range Charge yesterday. This time using the 80 amp charger at work. I am on the .140 flavor of v6.1 firmware, which had been updated at the Service Center from .116 the day before. Once again, I cannot seem to get it to "finish". This is after several hours of "1 minute remaining". I even stayed an extra hour at work to see if it would complete, but it didn't so I just unplugged and left. As soon as I pulled out, the range started to drop. Nothing had changed for me once again over a firmware update.

I did ask Service to check and advise on my battery status and they reported back that all is "normal" and the degradation I am seeing is also normal and expected for a two year old car with 42,000 miles.

View attachment 72739
This is what I get on a full charge as well. Mine is 2 years old, but I have 1/4 the miles. If I had your mileage, I'd be OK with it.

Seems that after 6.1 I'm stuck at 379km, was 389km just before. Am at 30800km so ~20k mile mark and slightly worried ig I have really lost 5% of capacity or not... 2.5% that was just before was kind of ok at this distance, but 5% seems odd. And I have done multiple range charges followed by >50% straight consumption immediately after. It's always 379.x km...

I did a range charge today for the first time in months. when I went to the car in the morning it showed 99% charge (I think they have tweaked how low the car can get while still plugged in before the charging kicks on again), 258 rated miles with range mode off.

December 2013 delivery, D pack, 18k miles.

Not fair! My August 2013 car w/ 21,000 miles charges to 228 miles at 90%, with range mode on it goes to 232 at 90%.

I have a B pack.

Well, we are finally about even. My March 2013 car with 22.5K miles gets 229 rated miles at 90% (range mode off). This has improved from ~218 very gradually over the last ~2-3 months with nightly 90% charges. It is still climbing, so I think I will still go higher yet.

How are you charging your car now? Still doing your old 50% routine?

I'm still at 10600 miles so that may be helping my range.. Still convinced my range increase occurred with a manual firmware update and service. OTA updates affect range but not dramatically like what occurred after my last 12 V replacement and manual update.

Also still charging to 90% daily but at a 40 amps now.

Well, we are finally about even. My March 2013 car with 22.5K miles gets 229 rated miles at 90% (range mode off). This has improved from ~218 very gradually over the last ~2-3 months with nightly 90% charges. It is still climbing, so I think I will still go higher yet.

How are you charging your car now? Still doing your old 50% routine?

No, I've been charging it to 90% now for months. I've run it down to as low as 8 miles and back up to 90%. I see the same 90% charge every time. The only thing I haven't done in a couple of months is a 100% charge, but only because I haven't needed it.