Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Rejection - At least 18 issues found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. First post. Wish it was a more positive one.

Looking for advice / suggestions on what to do....

I had to reject collecting my Performance Model 3 yesterday because I found 18 issues with the car and they couldn't confirm they would fix them before I drove away.

After asking around it sounds like a couple of them are "normal" (like no paint behind the front doors) but most of them are not.

Tesla do not make it easy to contact them outside of the generic web forms, and I have been talking to the generic UK delivery email address also.

Are there other communication channels people would suggest? Any lessons learnt or reassurance from owners?

I want to be fair to Tesla and wont upload all of the evidence publicly just yet, but I have a PDF with images of all the issues and where they are on the car.

They include paint chips, lots of missing paint (not just the usual), a large alloy chip, interior roof lining coming away / poorly assembled in multiple places, seals coming away, interior plastic loose in multiple places, a light cluster issue, a door seal assembly issue and door interior damage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andy

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
...wont upload all of the evidence publicly just yet...

Fit and Finish is a well-known problem for Tesla unless they have changed with a robust Quality Improvement Department so there's no need to withhold the pictures.

That's how Tesla works: owner pays up first, bring the problems home, get an appointment with Service Center, and have them fix the problems. That's a commitment of ownership because it's doubtful that all problems are fixed and finished by the time the refundable period expires.

If you don't like that idea, you have an option to reject it however there are some restrictions if you want another car:

.may not order the same trim for a period of 12 months but may order another vehicle in a different trim at any time.
. abusers will be prohibited from purchasing any vehicle for a period of 12 months.

Good luck!

. may not order the same trim for a period of 12 months but may order another vehicle in a different trim at any time.
. abusers will be prohibited from purchasing any vehicle for a period of 12 months.

This applies to vehicle returns after delivery, not for delivery rejections.

The OP will have no issue with getting another car.

Reactions: Solor and TLLMRRJ
Thanks all.

Sounding like there's a couple of potential inventory VINs to re-match me to, subject to more thorough inspection this time their end.
Fingers crossed at least one of them work out, otherwise it may mean waiting until manufacture starts again, along with shipping to UK, and getting a refund while I wait.

Will update the thread with what happens.

Agree that some fit and finish issues are common but from what I've seen and heard in the years I've followed the Tesla ecosystem, including from owner friends and colleagues, most of the ones I came across are not.

Thanks again

Reactions: VT_EE
At the end of the day, it's a car designed by humans, and partially built by humans. Its also a car, you'll buy another one in 5 years on average....

It will never be perfect, no car is. If you go to the delivery expecting to find problems, you will.

Agreed. It's the way it is but nothing is ever perfect, but having a good idea of what to expect really helps set the expectation (duh) of what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm glad the Internet exists or I'd think I was totally alone in experiencing some of the issues with these cars.

Sure, see attached for the issues. This is what I sent them on the evening of the rejected collection, 23rd April. (Although their version has reg and VIN visible, as well as reservation number)

There was also another paint chip which isn't captured on this, making it actually 19 total by the time I stopped looking.

Outside of obvious damage which I am confident they would fix (paint and alloy chips etc), some of the issues I was most concerned about, I've since seen pictures / videos of friends model 3's that do not have them. e.g:

• Issues 3 & 4 - Plastic was not raised on their cars, although loose when pressed
  • Issues 6 & 7 - The seams on their roof lining looked fine front and back, left and right
  • Issues 10 to 13 - Theirs looked fully painted, although I've heard from others 11 & 13 are normal?
  • Issue 14 - Their seal at bottom of driver side door (and all doors) were fine
  • Issue 16 - This seal sat more flat against their cars
(Note: when I am referring to drivers side, this is a right hand drive vehicle as I am in the UK)

Interested to get some more feedback from you all on these?

I am going to potentially collect a different VIN tomorrow. They have all this info and are aware I've seen cars without these issues and that I wont accept one with them, and they are standing by the fact this new VIN is "within Tesla specification".
They said if I reject this VIN, it will be an automatic refund.

Will keep you updated.

Attachments

• Tesla Issues blank comp.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 288
Good luck. Don't blame you for rejecting even though most of those issues could have been corrected at a later date. Good job you were able to see the car outdoors in bright sunlight. When I collected mine from Solihull I had to check it over in a dark car park, reversed into a spot between two other Model 3s.

Ok thanks for checking. And good to know about the ones that yours also has.
I've also heard from others the seal on issue 16 has some play, so is one of the lesser issues for me, was just a shame it didn't sit more flat on that VIN.

Shame if issue 17 is normal as that is visible without any doors being opened.

I think things might have been different if they gave assurances on what would be corrected later on. Instead it was take it or leave it and try your luck with Service, you have 7 days to return it, you have a limit of only 5 issues you can submit to service on the app. So much risk for something with so many issues, and wasn't cheap.

OP was correct, and certainly justified, to refuse delivery of this car. Frankly, I have seen a lot of complaints that I would consider nit-picking, but not in this case. The panel fitment issues and the damage are what bother me most. These things should have been caught and corrected before ever presenting the car to a customer. Primer bleed-through at the hinges and inner panel recesses are due to insufficient base coat coverage during manufacture. A process change would be sufficient to prevent this going forward, and should have been done before now.

Having said that, and out of fairness to Tesla, I am happy to relate a different delivery experience. My car was delivered by truck, in a badly lighted parking area, near midnight (and at the end of a long day for both the delivery driver and me) and in a driving, soaking, cold December rain. My excitement overrode my anxiety, not to mention having to be on the road with the new car early the next morning (three days before Christmas). I was finally able to inspect the car two days later in my daughter's driveway. Issues? One - a missing door sill kick panel molding on the driver's side. I had no fitment issues, no damage, no thin paint or chips. So, Tesla can and does get it right, and hopefully most of the time.

I hope your second delivery is to your expectation, and that you enjoy your ownership experience as much as I have. Cheers.

Reactions: andymac
1: I have a chip on the passenger side door that's a little smaller.
2: No marking found.
3/4. No problem with fitment.
5. No nicks on both doors.
6. No roof lining issues
7. No fitment issues on both left/right seams.
8/9: No scratches
10/11/12/13: Same. I have missing paint in the same areas.
14: No fitment issue
15: No chipped or rubbed away paint issue with this.
16: Mine is the same. The rubber / plastic just sits there, it's not glued in.
17: Same. I have missing paint there as well.

18: No issues on the wheels.

Just a few pics:
20200507_182202.jpg
20200507_182321.jpg
20200507_182823.jpg
20200507_182809.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thanks for checking. And good to know about the ones that yours also has.
I've also heard from others the seal on issue 16 has some play, so is one of the lesser issues for me, was just a shame it didn't sit more flat on that VIN.

Shame if issue 17 is normal as that is visible without any doors being opened.

As mentioned already, the unpainted areas are common. You'll see a similar issue on the trunk hinge area as well. None of it is a bother as they're not easily visible without seeking them out. Still, you could bring it up with service to get their take. For the chip, I bought some touch up paint. The unacceptable ones (to me) are those you posted of the inside.