Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you get EAP? Why or why not? (Poll)

Did you get EAP? Why?

• Yes, got it before delivery, it’s worth it

Votes: 112 69.1%
  • Yes, got it before delivery, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it after the free trial

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it was worth it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, got it some other time, it wasn’t worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I’m not interested in EAP’s features

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • No, I’m waiting for full self driving

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No, I can’t afford it yet, hoping to get it eventually

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • No, I can’t afford it, and probably will never get it

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No, some other reason (post a comment)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC is on many cars nowadays, but it's not very good on many cars. The one on Tesla is useful. Yes, it's expensive as a package. Tesla premium. BMW charges $300 for Apple CarPlay. Something that's free on non-economy cars. BMW premium.

It goes back to whether or not Autopilot is good. And yes, it's excellent. Getting better too. Even the lane keeping is pretty good now with the latest update, and is sure to get better. Like with anything, your pocketbook pretty much affects how one looks at things. Value is totally subjective.

If you commute, Autopilot can be life changing. Especially if you have traffic on your commute. The nagging is far less frequent in stop and go traffic vs if you're going 70. Very easy to adjust too, now that the scroll wheels on the steering wheel work with it. If you never commute and just toddle around town, well, Autopilot probably isn't worth it then.

It's the same argument with performance. No one needs a 0-60 of 3 seconds. So, whether it's worth a $10,000 premium (or whatever it is) is totally subjective. If you'll use it and it brings a smile to your face, then it'll be worth it more than someone who just uses their car purely as an appliance to move them around.

As I said elsewhere. Unlike the Prius or Subaru or anything else where what you buy is what you'll have for as long as you own the car. The Tesla's software will add features over time and mature (get better). You are future-proofing your investment. Just something to consider.

This is one of the weaknesses of traditional automakers. For example, take my experience with Eyesight on my Outback. When I bought it, ACC would use up a good amount of the following distance between a slower car ahead of me before applying the brakes. About a year later, there was a recall for the engine control unit firmware for a non-Eyesight related reason, which to my pleasant surprise also updated the Eyesight firmware. After the update, Eyesight would apply the brakes much earlier when the car ahead slowed down. How wonderful, I thought... I'll simply ask my Subaru dealership to update the Eyesight firmware whenever I bring it in for maintenance. It's been 2 years since the ECU update, and I haven't gotten a single Eyesight firmware update. Either Subaru hasn't improved Eyesight for 2 years or they they have and don't want to pay the dealership to install improved firmware; I suspect the latter.

This is one of the weaknesses of traditional automakers. For example, take my experience with Eyesight on my Outback. When I bought it, ACC would use up a good amount of the following distance between a slower car ahead of me before applying the brakes. About a year later, there was a recall for the engine control unit firmware for a non-Eyesight related reason, which to my pleasant surprise also updated the Eyesight firmware. After the update, Eyesight would apply the brakes much earlier when the car ahead slowed down. How wonderful, I thought... I'll simply ask my Subaru dealership to update the Eyesight firmware whenever I bring it in for maintenance. It's been 2 years since the ECU update, and I haven't gotten a single Eyesight firmware update. Either Subaru hasn't improved Eyesight for 2 years or they they have and don't want to pay the dealership to install improved firmware; I suspect the latter.
I'm an amateur radio operator. New in the technology is SDR, software defined radio. The Tesla's are a SDA, software defined automobile.I bought a 2018 auto. That very same car will become, during my ownership, a fully autonomous car. Who else offers that?

Reactions: APotatoGod
It's still a hardware upgrade, i.e. not exactly the "software defined auto" that you mentioned above. Also, I suspect the recent price hike is how new purchasers will pay for the hardware.
Deb, do you actually understand what that hardware upgrade Is? A V3 chip, which is plug compatible with the v2 chip. Free for those preordering fsd.This is an upgrade, not a, "won't work without"!
Deb, if you don't want it, by all means, don't get it!!!

Last edited:
No - because the $49k base price already factored in EAP hardware BOM and amortized software development cost (for EAP in its current 4 years old state). Unless there’s data to prove otherwise, I refuse to give Tesla another $6k for software I already paid for that’s simply license locked.

Once and IF fsd launches, then obviously that’s R&D cost made after I took delivery, so yes then I can justify and will buy in.

Last edited:
Deb, do you actually understand what that hardware upgrade Is? A V3 chip, which is plug compatible with the v2 chip. Free for those preordering fsd.This is an upgrade, not a, "won't work without"!
You are mistaken. The current hardware is good enough for the EAP functionality, but full autonomy will require the V3 hardware. Musk explained on the recent earnings call that the current hardware is unable to process the video from the 8 cameras at a sufficient frame rate. They simply underestimated the problem. And if you need hardware upgrades for new functionality, it's not really a "software defined auto" as you wrote earlier.

FYI: purchasing EAP after delivery just dropped in price by $500 (so it's $5,500 instead of $6000 now). Maybe someone is tempted to take the upgrade at this price (not me though ;)).
I read this and logged in to cancel my EAP, I was going to add the PUP instead. But then I read "by sept 24th" I don't even know if I will have my car by then. I assume it will increase back to 6k after sept 24th.

Of course adding PUP later will probably be ridiculously expensive.

You are mistaken. The current hardware is good enough for the EAP functionality, but full autonomy will require the V3 hardware. Musk explained on the recent earnings call that the current hardware is unable to process the video from the 8 cameras at a sufficient frame rate. They simply underestimated the problem. And if you need hardware upgrades for new functionality, it's not really a "software defined auto" as you wrote earlier.
No, it really still is Deb. The V3 is plug compatible and, my understanding is, those who bought FSD at purchase it's a free upgrade and with their mobile service, more than likely, an upgrade done in your driveway. However, as for the software defined radio analogy, they still require base hardware. The specific analogy is the heart of the SDR radio, aside from other electronic components is an FPGA, (Field Programmable Gate Array). It's basically a parallel processor and software is written for it and, release to release updated to fix bugs and add new features so an OTA software update updates the code running the FPGA. My point was right this second there is no (or little) functionality in the Teslas that constitutes what? likely even level 3 autonomous driving yet, I suspect, before Tesla will declare they've satisfied the FSD commitment to those who purchased it they'll be at level 5, maybe even level 6. So, yeah Deb, I think my analogy still holds and...who else is offering that?

The other thing, ergo, another post, is I took much of what Musk said to be he wanted to bring what is currently a requirement on NVidia inhouse and have proprietary chips where the IP is owned by Telsa not NVidia. IP is part of the valuation of the company and they can sub-license it to others for additional revenue stream. Deb, did you see that You Tube vid from a year or two ago where the Tesla exec is driving around town without touching the steering wheel? Stopping at red lights, and stop signs, taking turns letting him out at a strip mall and then continuing to park itself. That would have been on the V2, if not V1, chip. So, it's not that it doesn't work. Musk is many things, shrewd is one of them!

yeah, my current Subaru does almost everything EAP does for $2k. The only thing it won't do is auto-lane change, which is a non-issue for me. I find I almost never use these features on the Subaru, so paying $5k for it is laughable for me. If it cost $2k or less, I'd have bought it in a second. But not at this price point...
All due respect JGard...you are comparing what it IS today with what it will be while you still own that very same car. Your Subaru is today, precisely what it will be in 5 yrs, 10 yrs. The same holds true for my 2012 Prius. This time next year, the 2018 M3 will be running 2019 EAP, doing freeway to freeway navigation and more FSD functionality which is being released starting this fall.