Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable traction control and all nannies with dyno mode [no longer works]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hold my beer, I need to go try dyno mode now!

That did look way more hairy than I would expect. I wonder if regen kicked in on the front wheels when he lifted?
Probably.
We at least have an idea what an ICE AWD car with locking center diff and open axle diffs would do with TC/stability disabled (and it's not good either). How would software tuned to run with TC/stability program on react with nannies/eLSD off is anyone's guess right now. Some one should go on a large wet/snowy parking lot and do lots logging and tell us.

I may try to, if there's enough snow next week. I presume I'd have to log wheel speed, F/R torque, F/R regen, steering angle, throttle position. Anything else?

I'm trying to get @AlanSubie4Life to get a set of wheels and RE-71Rs for his Performance that I can borrow. It sounds like dyno mode uses the default torque split which starts as RWD and goes to AWD at high throttle inputs. Seems like a recipe for understeer but I'm no expert.

With TSLA at $650, cost is no longer a concern, but my motivation is lacking. However, I really should get another set of wheels; really can't have too many wheels. After this I should get my range wheels. Would be nice to get a sale of some form at Discount Tire but missed the last one. Since Model 3 has been placed into an unwinnable class now, should I just go with 9.5" wheels? Remember I probably need to go with 35 offset so you're going to have some poke.

This is what always happens when I think about this. Decision paralysis. I also need to put more PPF on my fenders and rocker panels before I run sticky tires like that.

Totally off-topic - but can't help my efficiency obsession - for range wheels:
I guess the Model Y 19" Gemini wheels are aerodynamic (are those aero covers? Have not been following along...EDIT: Sounds like no, but it does look like it has good aero...)? The issue is getting a good LRR tire in the 235/40R19 size - though perhaps the aero properties are just as important. Maybe that crappy 19" P7 Plus is the way to go - @mswlogo said it was very efficient, but it also sounded like total crap in the grip department. Also I wonder what the offset specs and width are going to be on that Model Y wheel - EDIT: NM - found this: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide - guess the only question is just how aero they are and whether they were used for the good EPA test result (seems likely). Just thinking that's going to be the cheap way to go to get good range wheels on the 3P+ in future since people will be dumping them. May be the promised land, but will have to run a spacer for the hub lip.

So sounds like maybe the optimal range solution for the 3P+ is:
Appropriate 5mm spacer + 19" Gemini wheel + 235/40R19 Pirelli P7+

Anyway, can just slap the RE-71Rs on a set of Dekagram 18x8.5 ET35 wheels. I assume the right size is available.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: and :D

Just wait for the backlash Tesla will face from these dummies. "I didn't know it would do that, and Tesla won't cover it under warranty. I'm suing!!"

I remember back when cars did not come with any sort of traction or stability control. It was just normal to be able to slip and slid them around. I had a couple V8 RWD muscle cars and when it would rain it was like a slip and slide. :D

Nowadays, there is so much software tuning combined with the mechanical systems I am not sure what it really going on. I love how GM implemented traction and stability control in the corvettes and Camaros I owned. They let you get some slip angle without having to fully disengage the stability control, so you don’t completely spin out if you mess up.

Track Mode is nice, but we could use a couple drive modes as well. I would like to see a Sport Mode that relaxes the traction and stability control but does not completely disable them.

I love Tesla but I am excited to see what some of the traditional manufacturers wind up doing with their performance EVs.

Damn...i was hoping this was my solution for better snow driving with the awd. From what I read here it's not. What do we have to do to get a "sportier" snow driving mode without disabling everything?
I'm hoping Tesla sees everyone doing this and understands we just want more control on the level of traction control and stability

You probably just want "SlipStart" turned on. That's plenty of fun in the snow, but not crazily out of control. It's just a normal setting in the menu, but I forget which category it's in.

It would be fun to be able to just disable the front motors so it would drift like an older RWD sports car.

Hopefully we don't get a bunch of people crashing their Teslas trying to do doughnuts in dynomode… Otherwise Tesla will probably need to change the code to access the feature. o_O

Most performance cars allow you to disable the nannies. Tesla would be wise to create a sport mode that sits between Track and Standard Mode that relaxes the nannies. They should also allow the driver to disable traction control but leave stability control enabled so folks don't go spinning out.

This sounds more dangerous than track mode, I wish Tesla will allow track mode as a paid upgrade on none performance cars, even the SR+.

Track Mode is not dangerous but Dino Mode is. Track Mode relaxes the Stability Control, increases regen, cools the battery, etc. as it is all about getting around the track quicker and for longer sessions. Dyno Mode is not designed for anything but dyno testing. Instant torque without traction and stability control on a car that is very much software controlled vs using mechanical systems is quite dangerous. The car will not behave predictable at the limit and those limits may be reached much sooner than anticipated.

• Disagree
Reactions: cOoTeR
Tesla has the finest stability control in the marketplace. Why would owners choose to turn it off.

EV is not like an ICE car. Foolish to compare what you did with an old musclecar to the instant torque available on a Tesla.

Keep them on when driving on public streets. Don't be THAT GUY!

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Complete detachment from reality. I am cool with it though. Party like it is 1999. I hear there is this great website “pets.com.”
Yup. As exciting as it is, it really doesn't affect me, as the shares I own are in the self-directed portion of my 401(k) account, and I won't be selling any shares until I hit age 65 (12 years). Lot's of stuff can (will) happen in 12 years. And before guys go all nutty on me about owning growth stocks as you get closer to retirement... I didn't go crazy and invest more into TSLA shares than I could afford to lose.

Back on topic...

Yeah, I'll be playing around with this at 3:00 a.m. in the biggest vacant parking lot I can find. :)

As a datapoint, I could not get this to work on our Model 3. It's on that new 2020 firmware, which may be the reason. It's also Canadian, which I suspect is the actual reason I cannot get it to work.
That could be, but a couple of things...

1. Foot must be on brake the entire time

2. Car must be in Park

3. Left turn signal stalk must be held down the entire time (all the way until you press the Enter button)

Can't believe with your screen name nobody pointed out this typo yet!

dinodlcsurvival.png