Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked because someone from Colorado got the same done in $600.

The material may retail at $500, but the shops getting uncut rolls would probably get better rates.

5 hr labor at $50 per hr would be $250, and I think $50 per hr isn't unreasonable, the shop workers aren't paid more than 100K per annum.

I don't need paint correction for a brand new car.

So my calculations for reasonable was:

Material $ 400
Labor. $ 250
Profit. $ 250
------------------------
Total. $900
Good luck with that.

Reactions: YisPatHere
Thanks. I actually called the 3 installers that were listed on the xpel website as certified installers and their prices are as I listed. I think the large price difference is because of the huge cost of living differences between regions. The labor costs here in CA are crazy.
what is the quoted amount from those 3 installers? I live in the bay area as well and will look into them.

I've never installed any type of "paint protection" on any of the nearly three-dozen automobiles I've ever owned and I would never pay thousands of dollars for such. $6,000 will repaint the entire front end of an automobile with a better-than-factory paint job. ;)

It's actually quite remarkable to see how much PFF is promoted by influencers on youtube. It would seem that if you don't spend a grand or five on it the car will fall apart from the weight of the bugs and rock chips it will accumulate over its life :)

I've never installed any type of "paint protection" on any of the nearly three-dozen automobiles I've ever owned and I would never pay thousands of dollars for such. $6,000 will repaint the entire front end of an automobile with a better-than-factory paint job. ;)
That's exactly where I don't get it. A repaint could be so much better than spending five, six thousand dollars for a film. I only heard this PPF thing after looking for a Tesla.

That's exactly where I don't get it. A repaint could be so much better than spending five, six thousand dollars for a film. I only heard this PPF thing after looking for a Tesla.
Tesla paint is notoriously soft. Maybe that's the reason for the PPF craze

I have an 8 year old Mazda, and not a single rock chip on it's bumper or hood in it's 90K mile life.

However I have seen videos and pics of 20K miles old Tesla hoods with 10-20 rock chips that are noticable from 1-2 ft away.

It's just the inferior quality of Tesla's paint job '(

Reactions: NJ08809
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, right?

Well, I got a gash down the hood of my HR-V that bothers me to no end. I had forgotten what caused it, but now I remember. A rather thin tree branch fell on it.

$6k for front end repaint? Or $6k for full coverage PPF?

Well, for me, since a decent PPF (STEK?) has some properties of a wax job, it means it’s easier to clean with just a hose down and not needing to reapply wax. Seems like that would save me some time and money keeping it clean. Ceramic coating on top would be even better?

Light scratches and swirls should visually disappear on PPF after a bit in the sun… as opposed to needing a buff/polish/wax job. If a panel or something gets hit by something, then the PPF can lessen (slightly) the impact, maybe the scratch that would require a repaint and color matching might only need to have the PPF stripped and new one applied (DIY cheaper?). Quire frankly, I’m lazy, so PPF seems better.

I‘m sure there are plenty of pros/cons… but going back to $6k for front vs $6k for full coverage seems like a goofy comparison to me.

But like I said at the start… it’s a matter of opinions.

Last edited:
PPF became popular for Tesla’s because you could use it to change the color of your vehicle without an expensive or permanent paint job.

We’ve chosen to get PPF on the front of our last two new vehicles because we live in an area that gets snow from November to April with a lot of gravel used on the road. We find that investing in PPF has saved our vehicles from rock chips and subsequent rust spots. You may not see the value for your area but some of us do. We take pride in our vehicles and we want them to look good for many years to come. Saying a repaint would be better would mean it would have to get damaged enough to warrant a repaint and that’s not something we want to let happen at all. With PPF a repaint isn’t needed as it’s already protected.

The majority of cars I saw while picking up my car yesterday had minor or no issues. Within the hour I was there, saw 10 or so drive off.
I can't attest to the full condition of other vehicles as I did not spend much time checking them out like mine, but at initial glance (as I had compared to two MYs parked next to mine) they seem to be in good shape. I picked up mine at Fremont factory/pickup center, and there were well over several hundreds Tesla's being picked up that day.

PPF became popular for Tesla’s because you could use it to change the color of your vehicle without an expensive or permanent paint job.

We’ve chosen to get PPF on the front of our last two new vehicles because we live in an area that gets snow from November to April with a lot of gravel used on the road. We find that investing in PPF has saved our vehicles from rock chips and subsequent rust spots. You may not see the value for your area but some of us do. We take pride in our vehicles and we want them to look good for many years to come. Saying a repaint would be better would mean it would have to get damaged enough to warrant a repaint and that’s not something we want to let happen at all. With PPF a repaint isn’t needed as it’s already protected.
Here in Phoenix, Arizona we don't have contend with snow. However, our freeways although very well maintained seem to be a magnet for rocks which get kicked up by traffic. I've never had it done before, but then again I've never spent this much on a car. Maybe if it was a Mazda with bullet proof paint, I wouldn't have to worry. LOL.

Yes these are matrix headlights. Congrats :)

Good luck with that.
In most labor intensive industries, labor is almost always equal or more than the material. Or that his how I am quoted here in MA. So your numbers are way off. People have been buying cars for over hundred years and have had chips and what not. This whole PPF business (selling plastic for 100s of $$) is getting out of hand in my opinion.

It's actually quite remarkable to see how much PFF is promoted by influencers on youtube. It would seem that if you don't spend a grand or five on it the car will fall apart from the weight of the bugs and rock chips it will accumulate over its life :)
In my opinion it's worth it. Certainly depends where you live or how you intent to use the car. But I've found living in Phoenix, AZ unless you put PPF on, you're going to be finding chips on the front end every time you wash it.

I didn't put paint protection when we bought our truck, it looks like hell from all the paint chips. When we got our 4runner, I spent the $1600 to get the full front end done, it's seen far more usage off-road where I'm passing cars driving on the dirt road, it still looks like it came off the show room floor, the vanity plate I have up front that doesn't have any sort of protection looks like the surface of the moon.