Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hmmm, that makes things even more interesting. I guess we will see and I’ll also report back.

Side note: I also created a separate thread about my car’s issues here: Accept or Reject?
@YisPatHere and others, I wanted to share that today I accepted delivery of my vehicle. The big thing for me is that Tesla allowed me to delay delivery until AFTER they addressed issues, so I didn't have to reject the existing vehicle, not did I have to accept with a "due bill" to get it fixed later. I posted this in the dedicated thread:

Today I took delivery of my car. I was very surprised to see that the scratches indeed come out with some buffing. I really thought this would lead to needing a repaint, but thankfully didn't. The "rippling" wasn't what it seemed in the sunlight after the car was detailed. It has some orange peel texture in some areas. I checked about a dozen others and they all had the same effect. I did get in touch with my detailer who said every Tesla he has seen had that, but he was able to resolve it when color correcting. The light panel was realigned and glued down, the charge port adjusted to be fully flush.

What didn't get fixed are the two pits. However, they are basically unnoticeable and Tesla is otherwise making it right. Ultimately, given that the panels all aligned properly, the doors work well, the fit and finish was ok (great by Tesla standards, poor by Lexus's), and the ever increasing EDD others were getting, I decided to move forward with this. So now we are a 3 Tesla family, with this being the only one that had any issues.

97f3f3dd-3507-47d5-8b4e-f5584e19b1dd-jpeg.905197
d70675a3-d167-40fa-ad82-7e56e7335bc2-jpeg.905198

UPDATE:

MYLR Poverty Edition (White Ext/ Black Int, no upgrades)
OD: 1/13
EDD initial: Jan-March
EDD update 1/20
EDD was set for 2/14
Got messaged yesterday offering sooner EDD for today, I took it.
Fremont build, has matrix lights and cargo cover

The Tesla Raleigh Center was packed. There were 2 reps present for pickup, could tell they were working hard. Showed up 10mins early, wait time & paperwork was about 30-40mins total.
They pulled all our cars up in front of the glass windows in front of the building
I handed him my down payment check (credit union had overnight the loan check), asked if I could check inside first. He was really chill and said okay and told me to just not hit accept on the app until I was ready (BUT told me to make sure you hit accept on the app BEFORE you drive off otherwise it would lock you out completely)

I was excited so I did a fairly quick glance over. Wife was more thorough. We had 1 small piece where the plastic wrap was not fully peeled and a few rubber/dirt scuff marks, easily rubbed off with my finger so neither was an issue. There was ONE area that was difficult to determine if it was tar stain or paint issue (see pic). I was able to rub off some of it with more effort, so I thought maybe tar stain, but in either case it was in the inner pillar on the front passenger (facing the windshield wiper) and so I figured they could fix it otherwise it wouldn't bother me too much. We decided to accept.

My wife drove the car home (I drove the van w/ the kids), about 30mins drive. She said driving above 45mph she could hear outside noise on the front passenger side. Maybe not fully sealed?

I rubbed the tar stained area with alcohol and a small piece of papertowel, got about half of it off but the other half won't budge. Any suggestions?

Since it was late, we had to get the kids ready for bed. I will do a closer inspection tomorrow and also take the car for a spin to see if we can determine the outside noise on the passenger side. I will prob put in a service request for that if it doesn't resolve (and maybe the tar stain)

Sorry for being so verbose, I am still amped up on excitement. Overall, very pleased minus these 2 issues above.

1676165509597.png

Last edited:
UPDATE:

MYLR Poverty Edition (White Ext/ Black Int, no upgrades
EDD update 1/20
EDD was set for 2/14

The Tesla Raleigh Center was packed, there were few groups in front of me. 2 pickup reps present, could tell they were working hard.
They pulled all our cars up in front of the glass windows in front of the building
I handed him my down payment check (credit union had overnight the loan check), asked if I could check inside first. He was really chill and said okay and told me to just not hit accept on the app until I was ready (BUT told me to make sure you hit accept on the app BEFORE you drive off otherwise it would lock you out completely)

I was excited so I did a fairly quick glance over. Wife was more thorough. We had 1 small piece where the plastic wrap was not fully peeled and a few rubber/dirt scuff marks, easily rubbed off with my finger so neither was an issue. There was ONE area that was difficult to determine if it was tar stain or paint issue (see pic). I was able to rub off some of it with more effort, so I thought maybe tar stain, but in either case it was in the inner pillar on the front passenger (facing the windshield wiper) and so I figured they could fix it otherwise it wouldn't bother me too much. We decided to accept.

My wife drove the car home (I drove the van w/ the kids), about 30mins drive. She said driving above 45mph she could hear outside noise on the front passenger side. Maybe not fully sealed?

I rubbed the tar stained area with alcohol and a small piece of papertowel, got about half of it off but the other half won't budge. Any suggestions?

Since it was late, we had to get the kids ready for bed. I will do a closer inspection tomorrow and also take the car for a spin to see if we can determine the outside noise on the passenger side. I will prob put in a service request for that if it doesn't resolve (and maybe the tar stain)

Sorry for being so verbose, I am still amped up on excitement, and figured someone might appreciate the detailed thoughts...maybe? anyone? lol.

View attachment 906262
Looks like just a wee bit of the windshield bonding urethane managed to "migrate".
Hopefully Shouldn't take to much to remove it.
Maybe try some Meguire's G17216 ultimate compound.
Acetone works on windshield urethane , BUT with how fresh your New paint is a less aggressive approach is safer and much less risky.
Actually letting TESLA deal with it is a good option.

Congrats on the new MYLR. I hope my almost identical except for white seats is as good overall as your description

Last edited:
Exactly. That's what I was trying to imply. There aren't any that are problem free. Relative to other companies, I'd say Tesla is different but probably averages out to the same pros/cons to me, although that is fairly subjective.
I understand that you're trying to be diplomatic. But in my opinion, the traditional dealership experience is rife with deception and high pressure tactics every step of the way. The direct sales model, including Tesla's, is not without its faults. However, the dog-eat-dog mentality of the dealership experience is not even in the same universe that Tesla provides.

UPDATE:

MYLR Poverty Edition (White Ext/ Black Int, no upgrades
EDD update 1/20
EDD was set for 2/14

The Tesla Raleigh Center was packed, there were few groups in front of me. 2 pickup reps present, could tell they were working hard.

Sorry for being so verbose, I am still amped up on excitement, and figured someone might appreciate the detailed thoughts...maybe? anyone? lol.

View attachment 906262
I think I would leave this for the Tesla customer service team to sort out. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this issue.

Reactions: EpicNguyen
That's exactly what I had to think through when I got my VIN earlier this morning. This will be my wife's car so we decided to sell her car after we take the delivery. Just need to put more cash towards downpayment but once you sell your car and things go south, you won't be able to buy your old car back for the same price.
So stressful! I’ve been checking the value every week, and it’s been going down by $100 each week until this week. It went down by $600. I just wanted to sell it beforehand to use the $30k as a down payment.

Looks like just a wee bit of the windshield bonding urethane managed to "migrate".
Hopefully Shouldn't take to much to remove it.
Maybe try some Meguire's G17216 ultimate compound.
Acetone works on windshield urethane , BUT with how fresh your New paint is a less aggressive approach is safer and much less risky.
Actually letting TESLA deal with it is a good option.

Congrats on the new MYLR. I hope my almost identical except for white seats is as good overall as your description
Oh yeah, I was actually wondering this but didn't have the knowledge, so your explanation makes perfect sense. That would explain why it wasn't easy to rub off.

Damn, makes me wonder if the migration of the stuff left a "leak" that could explain the wind noise. My wife said it felt like it was in the front of the passenger window but she could not pinpoint it while driving. I'll definitely be sure to message Tesla. I don't wanna 1-up the guy who had his steering wheel fall off by having my windshield fall off haha.

Thank you, this was VERY helpful.

I understand that you're trying to be diplomatic. But in my opinion, the traditional dealership experience is rife with deception and high pressure tactics every step of the way. The direct sales model, including Tesla's, is not without its faults. However, the dog-eat-dog mentality of the dealership experience is not even in the same universe that Tesla provides.
True. Most of my issues with the purchase were actually related to strict protocols from Tesla vs the credit union. After many, many emails, phone calls, and coordinating, but eventually we made it work.

I ordered the MYLR while at work, my delivery took about 20-30mins wait, 10mins paperwork, 20-30mins inspection and readjustment before driving off the lot. This would not be possible with traditional companies. Spent like 4+ hours just picking up my Camry in 2009, and to "sign paperwork" with Honda in 2018 took half the day.

Toyota in NC is beyond ridic right now. I initially waited a RAV4, but the add-ons and upcharges were total of $2-3k for a NON-hybrid. Hybrids and PHEV were much worse, and with insane wait times. Honda had some dealers with markup, others were actually giving MSRP on the CRV 2023. I put a $1k deposit in early December with sales rep telling me 2-3 mos or earlier. Its now mid-Feb and not a single update. My wife is going to get our deposit back next week lol.

I think I would leave this for the Tesla customer service team to sort out. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this issue.
Yup, reading 455dan's comment above, I think it all makes sense. I better leave it to Tesla to fix this one. Thanks for the advice.

MYLR Poverty Edition (White Ext/ Black Int, no upgrades)
EDD update 1/20
EDD was set for 2/14
Fremont build, has matrix lights and cargo cover

The Tesla Raleigh Center was packed. There were 2 reps present for pickup, could tell they were working hard. Showed up 10mins early, wait time & paperwork was about 30-40mins total.

Sorry for being so verbose, I am still amped up on excitement. Overall, very pleased minus these 2 issues above.

View attachment 906262
Congrats. Wow, you’re brave to take delivery and do inspection near night time, based on the fact you had to put the kiddos to bed after you got home.

Last edited:
Congrats. Wow, you’re brave to take delivery and do inspection near night time, based on the fact you had to put the kiddos to bed after you got home.
Thanks!

The appt was scheduled for 4pm, it was around 430-440pm when they pulled the car to the front. It was a cloudy day, but there was still a good amount of light out for the inspection. Left the Tesla lot around 5pm.

The drive is about 30mins for us, but then we went to pick up food so it was around 6pm by the time we got home. Sun was already set by then, so dinner, bathed the kids, etc.

Do SA get to see different delivery dates than what we see in the app?

I still see 5 week windows in the app but in a random call to SA, I was provided a single date that’s in that 5 week range and I was told that’s what they see in the system. Just wanted to check if anyone else experienced this and is that date reliable?