Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the current $7,500 tax credit be suspended (rather than extended) from March 1 to the date that the final rules are put into effect?
I guess they could do anything. However, the law spells out what the tax credits are as of 1/1/2023, the issue was the definition of critical materials, how to measure the %, and definition of free trade partners. At least 1 law maker is pushing to have the credit stopped until the rules are clearly established.

Agreed. To clarify, I'm not trying to convince anyone that the tax credit definitely won't change in March, my only point is that many are assuming that it is guaranteed to change by March 31st and speaking of it as a matter of fact (including some journalists). At this point, it is more likely that the credit will be around past March, but nobody can say for sure. When the NPRM is released by the IRS, then we'll have a better idea of what to expect, and then the real consternation/panic/outrage/victimhood can begin 🙃.
The only reason we are getting the full credit, is because they couldn't figure it out by Jan 1. they could have just as easily said only the $3,750 is available if you qualify until they figure it out or there is none until they figure it out. It's causing a ton of stress for people.

Thankfully, no change to my EDD yet.

MYLR red/black nothing else
OD 1/19
EDD Mar 4-31

my charger was installed today and I have the mobile charging kit and tire kit sitting in boxes here, so I’m all in no matter what.

Then you should have tried buying a car 50 years ago. In most cases the orders were custom unless there was something on the lot you wanted. You waited until it came in with no info available. Six weeks if you were lucky.

And you were lucky if it was perfect. My first one died as I pulled off the dealer's lot. Timing was set to 10 degrees ATDC instead of BTDC. Then there were the leaks in the driver's window and the trunk (seal was unglued in many areas). It at least had an engine that would not destroy the valves when the timing belt snapped. It seemed to work best after it had been in an accident and repaired by a competent body shop.

Next one (Car of the year) was a bit better. Only a noisy throwout bearing they never seemed to be able to fix. Car of the year turned out to be the biggest POS. Many other problems came later.

At least I didn't have my friend's problem: a disgusting smell caused by a half eaten liverwurst sandwich that had been stuffed under the headliner before it was closed up.
It's great to have a big laughter the first thing in the morning :)

For the ones who worries about battery requirement impact on tax credit, I would say no worries for MY.
Besides the possibility of IRS to delay the guidance, the MY BATTERY will fully qualify for IRA's requirement based on my study of it.
First half is major battery component made in north America, as Panasonic 2170 are made in Gifa factory 1 and battery pack also assembled there, so it's safe for it to bypass the 50% value increased in NA.
ANOTHER half is battery major material sourced from free trade countris of US. Most people believe this is unsure for MY battery. However, if you read the IRS white paper last Dec, you will know how the GOV is trying to lower the std for more car dealers to qualify! It treat major material source by 50% increase value happens either in mining country OR processing country! Just consider Li in the battery, MY battery Li is mined from Australia which is US free trade partner, then it can safety pass 40% threshold!

Credit go to
(It however a Chinese video but it contains all support doc for my summary)

I agree - however this is an expensive purchase for most people and there should be a better effort in managing customer expectations.

Many years ago I bought a then just released Porsche Boxster. There was a huge demand and long waiting times. When I put my order in I got regular updates as to where my car was in the process of being made. While there was still a long wait it made things a bit more bearable. Not saying Tesla should do this exact thing but keeping customers properly updated especially when there are fairly significant changes would go a ways to making a better experience.

I do not feel disrespected either and like you say have been following Tesla for a while and placed my order with full understanding about the "dark side" of this process. I just don't have to like it.. ;)
Porsche Boxter? You talking around 2,000 vehicles sold in the US per year?

Can’t compare this to Tesla’s ~12,000 vehicles per WEEK in US.

No other OEM deals with this level of information broadcasting at this production level. Also, for other OEM, you communicate with a middleman (dealer) who has more time on hands and info is not always useful.

😬 - that's playing it a little fast and loose but it does look like others with your order date have gotten theirs in a decent amount of time. Sooo envious, wish we had pulled the trigger earlier.. OD: 1/28, (revised) EDD: 4/19 - 5/31.
The EDD bounces around alot so i wouldn't get too discouraged. my order date was 1/25 so youre right behind that. i got my vin this morning and should be here first week of march so hopefully you will get your vin real real soon

Porsche Boxter? You talking around 2,000 vehicles sold in the US per year?

Can’t compare this to Tesla’s ~12,000 vehicles per WEEK in US.

No other OEM deals with this level of information broadcasting at this production level. Also, for other OEM, you communicate with a middleman (dealer) who has more time on hands and info is not always useful.

Sure the volume was/is lower but the point about managing expectations by being provided with updates is very applicable I think. Also it was 1999 and this was done even with a more primitive internet/communications tech.

I'm not expecting Tesla to track the build process of my vehicle, rather give me a heads up when there are dramatic changes to my "custom" order + maybe an explanation and keep me up to date as to progress. Even just better info on their website (which is always seems terribly slow for some reason) like an order status timeline of events or something. Ford has their "vehicle order tracking" page for example.

A key difference is legacy manufactures appear to assign a VIN rather early in the order process and vehicles are thus tracked accordingly. Tesla seems to keep things fluid until near delivery. This does allow for a lot of flexibility in distribution at the expense of an eager customer's angst level.

minor correction to your post: Back when I bought the car in 1999 the sales for the boxster in the US was 12,681, still dramatically lower of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: msinfo
So I talked to a SA and got things mostly straightened out. She told me to cancel the first order and they'd work on getting the order fee credited. She said I'd have to pay th $500 transport fee to reschedule the delivery location. I asked why I had to pay a transport fee for a car that isn't even out of the factory yet. She said it's because it was originally scheduled for local delivery only at the other SC. Seems like a pretty lame reason to me. We're not getting
MYLR5 White/Black 20”wheel
OD 1/20
EDD 3/4-3/31
Received Vin 2/14
EDD 2/14-2/21
Same config and order date. In NoVA (mid Atlantic) updated EDD 2/23-3/9. No vin yet.

Does anyone know what happens if I move to another state? Can I change my delivery location or do I just have to come back for pickup?
IF they are willing to change the delivery location at all, you'll end up paying a delivery fee, even if the car hasn't rolled off the assembly line. I had to change delivery location for an in-inventory MYSR that wasn't even built yet, and they're still charging me a delivery fee to have it shipped to Cincinnati instead of Cleveland.

I agree - however this is an expensive purchase for most people and there should be a better effort in managing customer expectations.

Many years ago I bought a then just released Porsche Boxster. There was a huge demand and long waiting times. When I put my order in I got regular updates as to where my car was in the process of being made. While there was still a long wait it made things a bit more bearable. Not saying Tesla should do this exact thing but keeping customers properly updated especially when there are fairly significant changes would go a ways to making a better experience.

I do not feel disrespected either and like you say have been following Tesla for a while and placed my order with full understanding about the "dark side" of this process. I just don't have to like it.. ;)
I ordered on 1/14 and still waiting for a VIN.
My OD -1/14, still waiting for VIN assignment, sold my car thinking I will get Tesla in reasonable time. EDD - 2/20 to 3/30.I am okay as long as I get by 3/30.
That's the unfortunate aspect of Tesla since there are way too many factors that determine availability/delivery - order time, delivery location, build configuration, factory making your build, how to car assignment algos work, and probably so much more.

Honestly the experience the common Tesla buyer goes through is probably placing a "Custom Order" by paying order free and waiting months/years to potentially get the car. If there are cars in inventory at a location, you can just purchase that specific one.

But due to the huge discount that happened overnight in addition to tax incentives, the hype and FOMO caused people to place an order right away. Not being able to get from existing inventory anymore was probably the biggest thing that caused people to be SOL when it comes to EDDs. People who grabbed or were assigned cars from inventory got their cars within 2 weeks.

Reactions: erktrek
Biden strikes deal with Tesla to make portion of supercharger network available to all vehicles.

Interesting. Announced the day after mass EDD changes. “You help me, I help you” lol one can only hope..

Reactions: NJ08809 and erktrek