Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a few MYLR in inventory popping up in NY/NJ. All have 20” inductions if anyone in the area is looking for a more speedy delivery. Almost bit the bullet but I’m sticking with my Geminis and end of March EDD.
Btw, In NJ we are receiving additional 2k rebate for EV under 55k, so picking up a car that costs +3k to my original price (53k) I'm converting it into +5k in my head. Nah, better to stick with 3750 tax credit and 2k instant rebate :)

Reactions: erktrek and imgcs
Actually @James2023y it's naive or perhaps misguided to adamantly defend some unsubstantiated theory based upon a few scattered occurances. I would rather believe in the fact that there have been thousands of MYs delivered in all types of configurations this year across the US and Canada.
Not defending or arguing either way, but I know a woman who ordered a MYLR Blue/black/20 who ordered on 1/30, received her VIN on 2/20 and took delivery 2/25. I went back and forth with her and it was NOT an available inventory order. Have seen several others posting similar. She's in the Telsa owners & enthusiasts Arizona group and I believe she's in Gilbert. I'm taking delivery in Tucson (when it eventually comes) and the only other difference is I ordered a tow hitch and 19's. Some of these just don't make sense and it's easy to see why people get pissy when they see stuff like this. I ordered 3 days before her (technically 1/26 but pm so they registered it as 1/27) and still don't even have a VIN. It does appear the 19's are in short supply. There's no way I'm sacrificing the ride with 20's to speed it up though, not to mention the expense of more money for a worse ride. My EDD has not changed since Feb 1, so taking that as a positive that they think they'll have some 19's for me by then.

Last edited:
@greenearth2129 was fortunate to have their original pricing honored. I was told by a SA that if I swapped for an 'in inventory vehicle' I would have to pay the current price. On the other hand, if I edited my order and was subsequently matched by Tesla, then my current pricing would be honored. Perhaps the friendly SA, with a little slight of hand, did this on greenearth2129's behalf.
Hi, you mentioned something very important 'in inventory vehicle'. I am not sure how it is defined. In my case, the car was not in the Cleveland Tesla office lot - it was not yet shipped to Cleveland. It may be due to some internal Tesla algorithm that the car showed up under Cleveland search when the VIN was assigned. Please note, a VIN is assigned when all parts are in place as various parts need to have the VIN etched/put in - not when the car has completed manufacturing process ("born"). It is probably true that if the car was on Cleveland lot, I may have to pay the increased base price. And, honestly, if I had to, I wouldn't go for it. I can also mention that someone else from Indiana was able to locate (I believe the exact same car he/she originally ordered) bound for Cleveland Tesla office and the car was matched to the original order by the SA without increase in the base price. He (let's assume) travelled to Cleveland and picked up the car earlier this week. For his case, the car was already en route to Cleveland and he couldn't have it re-routed to Indiana. For my case, I was lucky and since the car was not shipped to Cleveland, my SA was able to directly ship it to Indiana. My sincere sympathy for those who found something they like at a nearby/local Tesla office, but is not able to acquire it (either due to base price change or SA ignorance). Good luck to all.

OD 1/15
MSM/B/20/EAP/7 seater
2/24 got message saying Vin will be assigned in a week or 2 EDD changed to Mar 2 - Mar 30
Just now 2/27- 11:17 EST got message that VIN is assigned PF69XXXX New EDD March 10- Mar 19
Usually when we get a message to schedule delivery do they provide any dates to select or they provide one? I provided my current active insurance on which I do not have Tesla added yet but I uploaded the active policy is that OK?
Any information or education is highly appreciated.
It took me 3 or 4 days to get the text. Once I did, it gave me options for a 3 or 4 days and a couple of times each day.
The insurance rules vary I believe from state to state. I just provided the vin to my insurance company once I had a delivery date and set that as the start of coverage. Other people set it up for the first day in the EDD and adjust as necessary. Once I had the insurance confirmation, I just uploaded that. I've heard other people have done what you did and then took in the actual proof that the tesla was covered on delivery day. Text the 510 number to see for sure.

Every other car I have bought in the state of VA, I just called the insurance company on the day I bought it to add it.

• Love
Reactions: Chey and msinfo
OD 1/15

MSM/B/20/EAP/7 seater

2/24 got message saying Vin will be assigned in a week or 2 EDD changed to Mar 2 - Mar 30

Just now 2/27- 11:17 EST got message that VIN is assigned PF69XXXX New EDD March 10- Mar 19

Usually when we get a message to schedule delivery do they provide any dates to select or they provide one? I provided my current active insurance on which I do not have Tesla added yet but I uploaded the active policy is that OK?

Any information or education is highlyed.

I updated my insurance to be active from first day of edd updated when vin assigned.

And I received 3 day within edd for selection at 1 week after vin assigned.

Reactions: Chey
Here's one plausible explanation. When the IRA limit on MYs was $55k many of the orders were for 19s, opting to chose an upgraded color or towing instead in order to stay below the threshold. This macro behavior resulted in a glut of 20s that Tesla perhaps did not anticipate. I discussed this with an SA and he agreed that is what happened. Maybe he was privy to inside information that we do not have, maybe not. But it is plausible.

When I changed my order from white interior to black, resulting in a price reduction, I was assigned an earlier EDD. Others who did the same had similar results. I believe it's because white interior MYs are produced in far fewer numbers and in only one of the factories.

This is the last I'm going to respond on this topic. I think its POINTLESS and a waste of time to try to change each others minds.
You have valid points - I also believe that a lot of orders were initially placed for MYLR 5 seaters with white interior and 19" wheels and delivery got pushed out as a result of not having production match the demand. On the other hand, a different combination - or less sought after model, such as MYP, color choices (both exterior / interior) and 20' or 21" wheels are probably easier to get hands on and get them bit earlier. Not to say they are not good options - just an observation - everyone has their likes and dislikes and that is what makes us great. I 'highly' doubt that Tesla is prioritizing the more profitable / expensive cars to the consumers. I do not work for Tesla, neither anyone I know. But who knows anything these days - maybe it is true that Tesla is prioritizing higher profit cars and making them available earlier and this is giving impression and making folks change their options! Like I said - we are just making assumptions - both about Tesla and about IRS tax credits....it has been a crazy journey for many of us...I would agree - not a good one though - with all the uncertainties. Good luck to all.

Reactions: ev4robert
Just canceled my delivery appointment and released my VIN. If you are in NJ and want this configuration, contact Paramus today.
MYLR5, blue, black, 19, tow, Paramus NJ, OD 1/15, VIN PF683xxx
In NJ and OD: 1/18. Still waiting for VIN and same configuration without Tow. Will contact them. Any suggestion to quickly reach SA? Have been waiting on call for long time.

Hi, you mentioned something very important 'in inventory vehicle'. I am not sure how it is defined. In my case, the car was not in the Cleveland Tesla office lot - it was not yet shipped to Cleveland. It may be due to some internal Tesla algorithm that the car showed up under Cleveland search when the VIN was assigned. Please note, a VIN is assigned when all parts are in place as various parts need to have the VIN etched/put in - not when the car has completed manufacturing process ("born"). It is probably true that if the car was on Cleveland lot, I may have to pay the increased base price. And, honestly, if I had to, I wouldn't go for it. I can also mention that someone else from Indiana was able to locate (I believe the exact same car he/she originally ordered) bound for Cleveland Tesla office and the car was matched to the original order by the SA without increase in the base price. He (let's assume) travelled to Cleveland and picked up the car earlier this week. For his case, the car was already en route to Cleveland and he couldn't have it re-routed to Indiana. For my case, I was lucky and since the car was not shipped to Cleveland, my SA was able to directly ship it to Indiana. My sincere sympathy for those who found something they like at a nearby/local Tesla office, but is not able to acquire it (either due to base price change or SA ignorance). Good luck to all.
I think 'in inventory' in Tesla terminology is planned production units that are earmarked for a particular delivery location and are NOT produced to satisfy a customer's custom order.

Each person's experience is different regarding preserving their original pricing. The SA may behave differently based upon their own judgement, Tesla's internal policy, and how much latitude they are given by their management. Just speculating based upon my experience in golf service industry and dealing with issues that come up.

In NJ and OD: 1/18. Still waiting for VIN and same configuration without Tow. Will contact them. Any suggestion to quickly reach SA? Have been waiting on call for long time.
I have had shorter wait times when calling in the late evening. When I did reach them, the SA sent me a follow up text and said that I could text that number with any followup questions. I don't think they have any insight on when your actual VIN will be assigned. At least, that was what I was told.

MYLR - Midnight Silver Metallic / Black Interior - 5 Seater - 19in

OD: 1/16
EDD1: 2/17-2/26
EDD2: Apr-Jun
EDD3: 2/24-3/5
EDD4: 2/25-3/6
EDD5: 2/26-3/7
EDD6 (Today): 2/27-3/8

I live 10 minutes from Fremont. I'm tired of Tesla keep pushing back my order by 1 day. I'm seriously considering upgrading to 20 inch wheels as there are plenty of those in the existing inventory stock.
How much rougher is the 20inch wheels when compared to the 19inch ones in terms of ride quality? Is 20inch upgrade worth it?

Really wanted to take delivery before March 1st so that I can qualify for the EV tax credit.

MYLR, white/black/19"
OD: 1/20
EDD: Jan - Mar 2023 (original)
EDD: March 3 - March 31 (updated 1/25)
EDD: February 23 - March 23 (updated 2/14)
EDD: February 25 - March 11 (updated 2/23)
EDD: February 26 - March 11 (updated 2/26)
EDD: February 27 - March 11 (updated 2/27)

At least the later date isn't changing...yet. ;)

My brother-in-law's dates keep increasing by one day every day on both ends.
I just received the "we expect your VIN to be assigned in 1-2 weeks..." text. That seems like an automatic, canned response based on the EDD narrowing to a two-week window. It does appear to be triggered by a human, though, as my window narrowed to two weeks on 2/23, but my advisor was out sick from 2/23-2/26. This morning, he responded to a text I sent last week, then just under two hours later I get this VIN-expected message which suggests that he was catching up and triggered that message to be sent based on something - maybe it's just the EDD window or maybe he sees something that I don't.

7cn943.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody noticed that after 2/18 there have only been 5 entries on the TesLike spreadsheet? Has demand really dropped that much and potential new buyers are waiting for what happens with the IRS this month? I know not everyone even knows about it, but it seems a much smaller level of input after Feb 14th or so.

For those reading this and wondering what the heck I'm referring to here's the link.

Anybody noticed that after 2/18 there have only been 5 entries on the TesLike spreadsheet? Has demand really dropped that much and potential new buyers are waiting for what happens with the IRS this month? I know not everyone even knows about it, but it seems a much smaller level of input after Feb 14th or so.

For those reading this and wondering what the heck I'm referring to here's the link.
It could very well be true and I did mention this a couple of times in the forum. When my dates got pushed out initially on 02/14, I had a conversation with my SA and she expected the demand to drop from Feb 15 onwards (when they changed the EDD in the site for new orders to Apr-Jun), until the new guidelines come out at least. Needless to say, that's been happening as I hear and see from different sources. With the drop in demand, the pushed out dates will start improving slowly, as we've seen on 02/22 where there was a small improvement for many.

Reactions: ev4robert
MYLR - Midnight Silver Metallic / Black Interior - 5 Seater - 19in

OD: 1/16
EDD1: 2/17-2/26
EDD2: Apr-Jun
EDD3: 2/24-3/5
EDD4: 2/25-3/6
EDD5: 2/26-3/7
EDD6 (Today): 2/27-3/8

I live 10 minutes from Fremont. I'm tired of Tesla keep pushing back my order by 1 day. I'm seriously considering upgrading to 20 inch wheels as there are plenty of those in the existing inventory stock.
How much rougher is the 20inch wheels when compared to the 19inch ones in terms of ride quality? Is 20inch upgrade worth it?

Really wanted to take delivery before March 1st so that I can qualify for the EV tax credit.
I have not seen any concrete evidence (only forum hearsay) that you must take delivery "before" March 1st to qualify for the tax credit.

On the wheels, no way I'm paying more money to upgrade to a rougher ride. Watch this video. In the end, he stays with the 20's, admitting it's for the looks and acknowledging the ride on the 20's is worse in direct comparison. But look at the 19's with the covers off. It's a great looking rim! And for around town, I plan to keep the covers off and add them for longer trips where mileage is more important. YMMV