Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR R/B 19", northeast PA

OD 1/22
Charger installed in Feb
EDD 1 Jan-Mar
EDD 2 Feb-Mar
EDD 3 Mar 1-31
EDD 4 Mar 27-31
EDD 5 March 26-31
EDD 6 April 4 - May 9
EDD 7 Mar 17-31
EDD 8 (yesterday) Apr 14 - May 19

Is it red that is causing me the most problems?
I am confident that it is the red color causing the delay. A few days ago, someone on the group visited the Fremont factory to pick up his car. He went around the parking lot and shared his observation about the inventory. He said the red colored cars were the least of all as per his observation.

It still blows my mind how Tesla can arrange logistics for shipping 2,000 vehicles per day. That's 83 vehicles per hour. Something and/or someone has to decide exactly where a vehicle is going every 43 seconds!
So very true!

I am a former product manager for a company that created logistics software which was used by many manufactures, carriers, and brokers. It is an extremely complex and dynamic field.

Just got the scheduling text this morning and set the pick up date on 3/23 (Thursday)!

After setting the pick up, I switched the cash payment to financing in the Tesla App with just few clicks. I use Affinity Plus which is in the Tesla financing drop down list with the correct address info.

The wait is almost over.
Congrats! I just scheduled my pickup date, 3/22. I also set up my bank info in Plaid so that I can pay on the spot after accepting delivery.

This pending IRS tax credit guidance is still looming in the back of my mind. I keep telling myself not to worry about things I can't control.

Last edited:
Now that we have internet and email, I spend a few minutes locating the vehicle I want and a few more minutes researching invoice, holdback, and incentives to determine how much I'm willing to pay for that vehicle. I then send an email to every dealer that has the vehicle I'm looking for that says something like, "I'm sending this email to every dealer within a reasonable driving distance from me. I will pay $x for the blue SUV stock number 12345. After work, I will be driving to the first dealer who accepts my offer to pay for the vehicle and pick it up." Some won't respond at all. Some will try to counteroffer. One or two will say, "We'll have the vehicle ready when you get here!" This has been my successful method for more than a decade. No stress and no waiting.
Of course that was because you picked a car that was readily available. If you were trying to buy a RAV4 Prime, or most other EVs right now, you'd be placing an order and waiting, just like with the Tesla. If you REALLY didn't want to wait, you could have watched the inventory, and picked one of those, but you'd've had to settle for what was available rather than getting just what you want.

Reactions: bridge-player
I've purchased 30+ new automobiles in as many years. In the early days, it used to take hours to days to buy a vehicle - driving around to find a vehicle I wanted, negotiating, and driving back and forth between dealers until I reached their lowest price.

Now that we have internet and email, I spend a few minutes locating the vehicle I want and a few more minutes researching invoice, holdback, and incentives to determine how much I'm willing to pay for that vehicle. I then send an email to every dealer that has the vehicle I'm looking for that says something like, "I'm sending this email to every dealer within a reasonable driving distance from me. I will pay $x for the blue SUV stock number 12345. After work, I will be driving to the first dealer who accepts my offer to pay for the vehicle and pick it up." Some won't respond at all. Some will try to counteroffer. One or two will say, "We'll have the vehicle ready when you get here!" This has been my successful method for more than a decade. No stress and no waiting.

With Tesla, I ordered nearly two months ago and still have no idea if the vehicle will arrive next week or months from now. The estimated delivery date is a wildly random moving target. It often takes hours or days to get a response from a human. I have no idea if there will still be a $7,500, $3,750, or no tax credit when it does arrive and because I'm in Texas, I have to pay for a vehicle I've never seen before it will be available for delivery. Because I can't see the vehicle before I buy it, I have no idea what kind of condition it will be in. Despite the fixed, non-negotiable purchase price, this Tesla purchase has already been the longest, most stressful vehicle purchase I've ever made - and it's not over yet.

Thank you for the information and analyses you provide.

Can you explain what seems to be a discrepancy between your statement the following statement on the IRS website that appears to state that the new requirements will take effect "the day after" guidance is issued rather than after some 30 to 60-day delay?
You could have picked a Tesla that is in inventory, and have a much smoother experience, than what you have to do with the other ICE vehicles.

But you are buying a Tesla model that is not available in inventory, and has a months-long backlog. The tax rebate situation is not something that Tesla can control.

For me, the Tesla buying experience is next level. Even with the broken EDD algorithm.

Of course that was because you picked a car that was readily available. If you were trying to buy a RAV4 Prime, or most other EVs right now, you'd be placing an order and waiting, just like with the Tesla. If you REALLY didn't want to wait, you could have watched the inventory, and picked one of those, but you'd've had to settle for what was available rather than getting just what you want.
For me the stress is not so much the waiting, it’s the unrealistic approach of we don’t know the date and once you do you have 3 days or less to pick up the car or the car is gone and you're back in line. There has to be a better approach to this. The current approach doesn’t help the customer and hurts the reputation of company by a now negative view. Most if not all of these cars are already paid for either through financing or cash.

The "ordering process" was indeed quite easy and based on others experiences the pickup is usually great too. The waiting process sucks however made worse by constantly shifting EDDs with no explanation and then suddenly a non-negotiable 3 day delivery window unless taking delivery earlier. Hard to make plans when things shift around so much. I have a basement corner full of Tesla stuff just waiting - some are now past the return point. This is NOT a good customer experience and demonstrates that the Tesla Team and Tesla Os needs a lot more work on the customer facing delivery side of things. Very typical Silicon Valley attitude.
Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what the typical Silicon Valley attitude is?

The drama continues. Made an appointment Thursday for 3/21. Today got a text…”due to slight delays your car won’t be here on the 21st, please reschedule for 24, 25, or 27.” Called and they blamed a shipping issue due to weather. Maybe snow out west? This is infuriating. There is no way they didn’t know on Thursday there was a 3 day delay on shipping, when they scheduled me for Tuesday and let me rearrange my schedule, take off work, cancel a plumbing appointment, etc. Now 1.5 days later suddenly they know of a 3 day delay?

So now I’m rescheduled for 3/24, but I guess I’ll find out if that date holds. I feel worse about this credit, but still hopeful they announce closer to the end of the month. Maybe some more banks can go belly up to keep the Treasury busy this week.

They said it was on the rails heading for Chicago now. So now I have a new pastime, watching the weather between Freemont, Chicago, and here. 😐

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on what the typical Silicon Valley attitude is?
In my mind it's a focus on "Minimal Viable Product" and lately "First Principals" where a product/service/goal is broken down to it's simplest parts/techniques and rapidly built up from there. Customer service might in fact come later but is not as important as establishing the product (in Teslas case - factories then vehicles etc) and rapidly getting it out the door. Its about tearing things down to hopefully avoid or get around a "local maximum".

At a higher level there seems to be a pervasive belief/hubris that technology can solve all ills and that the leaders are somehow smarter or more in tune with what societies and customers really need or want.

Last edited:
MYLR R/B 19", northeast PA

OD 1/22
Charger installed in Feb
EDD 1 Jan-Mar
EDD 2 Feb-Mar
EDD 3 Mar 1-31
EDD 4 Mar 27-31
EDD 5 March 26-31
EDD 6 April 4 - May 9
EDD 7 Mar 17-31
EDD 8 (yesterday) Apr 14 - May 19

Is it red that is causing me the most problems?
Mine is not red and have od 1/19 for NJ.
My last three EDDs are exactly same as your.
Even like your EDD8, mine also changed yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: starise
The drama continues. Made an appointment Thursday for 3/21. Today got a text…”due to slight delays your car won’t be here on the 21st, please reschedule for 24, 25, or 27.” Called and they blamed a shipping issue due to weather. Maybe snow out west? This is infuriating. There is no way they didn’t know on Thursday there was a 3 day delay on shipping, when they scheduled me for Tuesday and let me rearrange my schedule, take off work, cancel a plumbing appointment, etc. Now 1.5 days later suddenly they know of a 3 day delay?

So now I’m rescheduled for 3/24, but I guess I’ll find out if that date holds. I feel worse about this credit, but still hopeful they announce closer to the end of the month. Maybe some more banks can go belly up to keep the Treasury busy this week.

They said it was on the rails heading for Chicago now. So now I have a new pastime, watching the weather between Freemont, Chicago, and here. 😐
Yes this is not uncommon. Your ability to schedule a DD is based on estimated date(s) when the vehicles will arrive to your Tesla location. Tesla's transportation is through trains and trucks so it's not something in your control.

If you watch YouTube videos or do research, you'll know that this can happen. This actually happened to me where my DD was rescheduled a week later due to the weather. This happened because the weather was consistently bad (I think it was constantly raining and then snowing a few times near east coast). However, I was fully aware that this could happen since I watched various YouTube videos on delivery experience.

Yes this is not uncommon. Your ability to schedule a DD is based on estimated date(s) when the vehicles will arrive to your Tesla location. Tesla's transportation is through trains and trucks so it's not something in your control.

If you watch YouTube videos or do research, you'll know that this can happen. This actually happened to me where my DD was rescheduled a week later due to the weather. This happened because the weather was consistently bad (I think it was constantly raining and then snowing a few times near east coast). However, I was fully aware that this could happen since I watched various YouTube videos on delivery experience.
In addition, there was massive flooding in northern and southern California.

MYP Black/White
OD: 01/30
EDD1: FEB-MAR
EDD2: 03/07 - 03/21
EDD3: 03/15 - 03/28
EDD4: 03/16 - 03/28
EDD5: 03/17 - 03/28
EDD6: 04/08 - 05/13
NO VIN

Has anyone experienced these many pushouts?
Yep.. I did not include the original non-specific "Feb - Mar" in my sig below. Am kind of expecting it to change again as tomorrow will be within the EDD and still no VIN.

Welcome to the Rail car issue group, I know how it feels 🤦‍♂️

I understand stuff happens and you may have to reschedule, in my case they found out one day before my scheduled delivery date that there is a rail car issue. My contention is they should have known of this before and should have rescheduled things earlier and not one day before your delivery date. This to me is a break in communication internally

Reactions: erktrek
I understand stuff happens and you may have to reschedule, in my case they found out one day before my scheduled delivery date that there is a rail car issue. My contention is they should have known of this before and should have rescheduled things earlier and not one day before your delivery date. This to me is a break in communication internally
I agree that their customer service sucks and it unfortunately always has. Tesla is overloaded with orders and deliveries now but I don't think they have enough people/teams to account for this nor put "customer service" as a focus as a company.

They only care about manufacturing the vehicle, cutting costs, transporting it, and delivering it. They don't really care about the customer service especially since everyone wants a Tesla despite their bad customer service.

Also 1 more thing as a heads up so you're not surprised:

This experience can also extend to Tesla service appointments. If Tesla doesn't receive certain parts in time or for any other important reason, they will let you know 2-3 days before your Tesla service that it has been automatically rescheduled to earliest available appointment. You then have to figure out if that time works for you. Otherwise, you have to reschedule for a time day/that works for you.

Reactions: erktrek