Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Cool Factor??

When I stopped by the bank to get the certified check for My Performance Y a bank teller gal overheard that the check was for a Tesla and made a scene in the bank about why on earth would you want a Tesla or anything else that had to do with Elon Musk.
Then she said Good Luck finding a place to charge it which I told her was my garage overnight. Then she said well that is where I would park it as well since Shure don't want my neighbors to see it.

After picking up the Y was headed home past a school .
20 MPH still in force. I kept the speed at 20
On coming traffic was a F-250, Girl driving sees the Tesla and floors it headed for the school zone.
Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off and screaming obscenities at me all while entering the school zone at over 50 miles an hour.

Last few days no Incidents like those two.

If I had any buyers remorse it was related to those two interactions... that Other People initiated.
I have like no faith in humanity. I just don't understand why people can't separate Tesla as a company from Elon Musk's actions/behavior.

I mainly bought a Tesla because of its technology and I believe in the products they sell. The fact that it's an EV, has a great/very available supercharging network, is a cool/great car, etc are all big pluses for me.

I've been in software dev/release mgmt/solution architecture/pre-sales for 25 years. Let's just be honest - Tesla still has a long way to go when it comes to customer experience management.
Yes, we are all on agreement on this. Tesla has very shitty customer service and delivery process yet we are all still flocking to buy their vehicles.

Why would Tesla want to spend all this money on customer service and adjusting their delivery process when customers are still going to buy their vehicles and investors only care about them expanding their model variety/making more profits?

Tesla is spending money/time on building more giga factories, creating more types of models, etc so you can clearly see where their priorities are at.

Why would Tesla want to spend all this money on customer service and adjusting their delivery process when customers are still going to buy their vehicles and investors only care about them expanding their model variety/making more profits?
Because Tesla is already seeing less demand for their products - as is evidenced by the recent price cuts in January. Tesla certainly didn't cut prices out of the kindness of their hearts - as doing so upset many an owner who already paid the higher prices previously - which again doesn't help customer experience. Tesla cut prices because of flagging demand - likely due to a combination of a softening economy globally - and certainly here in the USA - but also because of increasing competition. In January 2023 - roughly 87k EVs were purchased - and only 57% of those EVs were Tesla - as compared to well over 80% just a year ago in January 2022. That means that 43% of EVs purchased were non-Tesla EVs. That is not inconsequential. Yes - Tesla as the market leader still has many advantages - but the competition isn't sitting still either - and the numbers are beginning to show that delivering a better customer experience - both pre and post sale - is going to matter much more moving forward. It is up to Tesla to learn this lesson proactively now - as opposed to waiting until supply meets demand - and then having to cut prices further to continue to avoid delivering a better customer experience.

My Performance Y had 3 miles accepted the car and later noticed the hood has a dimple to the right side of the T when the hood is closed. I looked at the hood nuts and the latch and Tesla obviously tried to readjust it- since white paint had been dabbed over the fasteners. Already am past the imperfection complaint window.
I did my own adjustments and got rid of about 80% of the Tin canning... Good enough for me, everything else was close to perfect. Last thing I want is a different or repainted hood that may not exactly match color wise. My car has its own unique little birth mark :) probably not alone there.

Yep, when I picked up my Y wife sat in a showroom Model X

Except shifting EDD's can make a person spend more and up the order to a MYP to get a VIN to keep sanity intact.

The Cool Factor??

When I stopped by the bank to get the certified check for My Performance Y a bank teller gal overheard that the check was for a Tesla and made a scene in the bank about why on earth would you want a Tesla or anything else that had to do with Elon Musk.
Then she said Good Luck finding a place to charge it which I told her was my garage overnight. Then she said well that is where I would park it as well since Shure don't want my neighbors to see it.

On coming traffic was a F-250, Girl driving sees the Tesla and floors it headed for the school zone.
Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off and screaming obscenities at me all while entering the school zone at over 50 miles an hour.

If I had any buyers remorse it was related to those two interactions... that Other People initiated.
Such sad, under-informed, pitiful behavior from angry little people who form their beliefs from popular culture talking points.

I've seen this type of aggression directed toward many different vehicles, including Prius, BMWs, Porsches.

If this happens to me while driving, I'll instruct Telsa to record the incident (by verbal command and/or honking the horn) in case the situation escalates.

Both incidents are a shame.

If I was you I would have walked over to the branch manager and complained. It is no one's business what car you are buying and for what reasons. I will not get into all the political BS over Twitter and the MSM demonizing anyone they do not like. That person should be fired. You are a paying customer.

Too bad the F-250 did not get a ticket. Would have been sweet revenge!
Agreed ,
Do Not follow twitter at All.
I DO Follow SpaceX and what is going on with Tesla.

I have a feeling something was said to that teller after I left.
It wasn't the "banks" money that was being withdrawn.
That teller ruined my Day. Even questioned "for a bit" buying a Tesla over her directed rage.

Was thinking about the school incident and maybe she figured I was a new transplant from out of state since I don't have local plates for the car yet.
Probably lived here longer than that girl has been alive.

Totally Agree on the Tech and future direction of Tesla and SpaceX.
I retired from electronics industry.
Always wanted an electric car and almost tried to build one, still may.

So far I REALLY LIKE the MY Performance, it is tight no squeaks, handles like it is on rails, quiet and smooth, has a Great stereo, is darn near as quick as one of my 455 powered Pontiacs.

Just wish some of our local area haters would find some other target to get their rage out on.

Probably she's jealous that she can't spend $60K?
How old was her F-250? A mid-trim model is north of $70K. A few years ago, a good friend of mine purchased one of the upper trims (but, not the highest) and it was well into the $80s. :)

But I will warn you... Tesla's CS is non-existing. It is a good thing the Tesla Cars are simple and thus reliable (The only service I had in 4 yrs is the refill of windshield fluid and replacement of 12V Battery (yes it has one! Just a "normal car") to which I was able to make appointment thru Tesla App and the mobile tech showsup at my workplace and done in 20 mins. My point is... despite the shitty CS, the Tesla is truly amazing and trouble-free. Once you own the car you will realize there is just NOTHING out in the market comes close to Tesla.
Historically, I have chased products and services that don't require customer service, so it makes no difference how good or bad it is. Some examples:

The internet provider I had for 11 years had a horrible reputation for customer service, but I never noticed because my connection was extremely reliable. It wasn't until I switched to a lower-cost provider that I realized how difficult it was to get a hold of a human, how difficult they were to understand when I did reach one, and how long it took to actually disconnect.

The Hondas and Mazdas I've driven for the better part of two decades almost never require any warranty repairs and I handle all maintenance and non-warranty repairs myself, so I never cared about their customer service...until I finally got a lemon a few years ago and asked the manufacturer for consideration and was told "no!" then ignored. Considering how many of their vehicles I helped sell as an automotive writer and unofficial brand advocate and ambassador, I expected something.

Yes, we are all on agreement on this. Tesla has very shitty customer service and delivery process yet we are all still flocking to buy their vehicles.
This reminds me of my experience with Future Motion. Arrogant, slow, proprietary, and expensive are some adjectives that come to mind. However, their Onewheel electric skateboard changed my life when I first saw, purchased, and rode one a couple of years ago. The first one broke and it took longer than it should have to get it fixed under warranty, so what did I do? I bought a second one for three times what I paid for the first one. Boy, they got me hook, line, and sinker! But, their Onewheel product offers a unique riding experience that you just can't get anywhere else.

Oh man that sucks - in our little NJ town Teslas are everywhere definitely higher than the average so no hate here... I wonder if Idaho being into fracking might have something to do with it.

Hard to tell who's hating on Tesla this week - The Roll Coalers or Elon Haters seems to span the political spectrum too. Sad that the most purely American auto manufacturing company gets so much negative attention.

edit: Of course NJ has a ton of refineries etc.. so 🤷‍♂️

Tesla is spending money/time on building more giga factories, creating more types of models, etc so you can clearly see where their priorities are at.
Priorities need to change as competition enters and changes the marketplace. If Tesla wants to prioritize profits over the medium-long term - then prioritizing the customer experience now will actually enhance the Tesla owner experience and result in repeat customers over the long term. Customer Experience Management is about placing value on the entire lifecycle - not just the engineering aspects of the products which Tesla has placed the most emphasis on historically when they were the only game in town. That's not going to be enough as competition ramps up - even if the product is better. Apple had better products under Steve Jobs for years - meanwhile Microsoft trounced Apple not because MS had better products - but because they did a much better job of managing the entire customer lifecycle from day one. Perfect? Nope, but much better than Apple early on - and Steve Jobs had to learn the hard way that it wasn't just about bringing a better product to market - it was about managing the entire customer lifecycle experience - and that's what Apple did right when they brought the iPhone to market - they delivered a better product - and much better customer experiences - and that's why they continue to maximize profits over the long term - not just when they were the only game in town.

How old was her F-250? A mid-trim model is north of $70K. A few years ago, a good friend of mine purchased one of the upper trims (but, not the highest) and it was well into the $80s. :)

Historically, I have chased products and services that don't require customer service, so it makes no difference how good or bad it is. Some examples:

The internet provider I had for 11 years had a horrible reputation for customer service, but I never noticed because my connection was extremely reliable. It wasn't until I switched to a lower-cost provider that I realized how difficult it was to get a hold of a human, how difficult they were to understand when I did reach one, and how long it took to actually disconnect.

The Hondas and Mazdas I've driven for the better part of two decades almost never require any warranty repairs and I handle all maintenance and non-warranty repairs myself, so I never cared about their customer service...until I finally got a lemon a few years ago and asked the manufacturer for consideration and was told "no!" then ignored. Considering how many of their vehicles I helped sell as an automotive writer and unofficial brand advocate and ambassador, I expected something.

This reminds me of my experience with Future Motion. Arrogant, slow, proprietary, and expensive are some adjectives that come to mind. However, their Onewheel electric skateboard changed my life when I first saw, purchased, and rode one a couple of years ago. The first one broke and it took longer than it should have to get it fixed under warranty, so what did I do? I bought a second one for three times what I paid for the first one. Boy, they got me hook, line, and sinker! But, their Onewheel product offers a unique riding experience that you just can't get anywhere else.
The F 250 was a pretty beat up ~1971 "High Boy" 4x4.
Good, Very well built old Ford trucks actually...
Oh man that sucks - in our little NJ town Teslas are everywhere definitely higher than the average so no hate here... I wonder if Idaho being into fracking might have something to do with it.

Hard to tell who's hating on Tesla this week - The Roll Coalers or Elon Haters seems to span the political spectrum too. Sad that the most purely American auto manufacturing company gets so much negative attention.

edit: Of course NJ has a ton of refineries etc.. so 🤷‍♂️
an Elon that inspires me...? It is
reading Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot
Elon's Star Ship is the beginning path to a multi planet existence

Hope Everyone gets their Tesla delivered soon.

My Performance Y had 3 miles accepted the car and later noticed the hood has a dimple to the right side of the T when the hood is closed. I looked at the hood nuts and the latch and Tesla obviously tried to readjust it- since white paint had been dabbed over the fasteners. Already am past the imperfection complaint window.
I did my own adjustments and got rid of about 80% of the Tin canning... Good enough for me, everything else was close to perfect. Last thing I want is a different or repainted hood that may not exactly match color wise. My car has its own unique little birth mark :) probably not alone there.

Except shifting EDD's can make a person spend more and up the order to a MYP to get a VIN to keep sanity intact.

The Cool Factor??

I’m surprised to learn that at different state/city the attitude toward Tesla or Tesla owners is vastly different. Now I can understand why there are videos on YouTube where people just randomly keying Tesla, and even a grandma did that.

Reactions: 455dan and erktrek
I’m surprised to learn that at different state/city the attitude toward Tesla or Tesla owners is vastly different. Now I can understand why there are videos on YouTube where people just randomly keying Tesla, and even a grandma did that.
I suspect, generalizing here, that this type of behavior is more common in the flyover states when compared to the coastal states - where most of the wealth is concentrated - and where most of the charging infrastructure is more mature - and where EV adoption is therefore much more prevalent and accepted.

Reactions: 455dan

The Cool Factor??

What the heck. Ppl should mind their own busineses. I’m so sorry this happen to you. Ugh!

Last edited:
Reactions: starise and 455dan
So even based on JD Powers survey they are not the lowest..

View attachment 922276

But even then there are questions - Tesla did not provide information for certain states for the 2021 survey.. I wonder if this happened again in 2022?

Tesla is not that different from Porsche.😁

So my tentative delivery date for today got rescheduled for tomorrow at 11am. Still no ViN. At 3pm I got a text said they would go ahead and reschedule for 4pm Instead of 11 am. So I texted back and said I don’t see how it would happen and should they go ahead and resc for Thur Mar 30 or Friday Mar 31. They immediately texted back said I was right and they rescheduled for Friday. I hope I won’t jinx myself 😂

Last edited:
Today's the day alright - for the first time since I ordered on Jan 20, my EDD is now past all previous EDDs.

This car...IF and WHEN it ever arrives...better be a profound, life-changing experience for me. Having bought dozens of new automobiles over the decades, I have NEVER waited on one before. Once I decided to buy something, I took it home that same day. :)

View attachment 922166
Ever bought a car that they make 1.3K of every day, and there is a 2 month backlog? And that they let you change the configuration any time? And keep the lower price in case it has gone up?

I much prefer the Tesla buying experience. The only issue is their unreliable EDD, which I knew not to trust. My SA told me I would get the car this quarter, when I ordered on 1/17. And he was right.

This is my third Tesla. I never had any issue on my previous two. They have been much more reliable than any of my previous cars.

Ok just got texts... "It's almost delivery day" instead of "we need to reschedule." So I think this is really happening tomorrow. Text from my rep states, "you will be notified when car is ready..." Have a good day.
Car delivery got rescheduled due to in transit last night. I think this community has been very helpful in getting us equipped to be our own advocate.

I searched last night and this morning on Tesla and Waiting for Tesla to view available cars and saw same spec for my order ( they have been loading lots of new inventory for end of Q).
I tried communicating via text to verify if car was at SC or not. I ended up calling my original SC per rep. Anyways, the rep at SC assisted and swapped an inventory model for me and scheduled a pickup for today as well at a different SC. I learned there were three of these -MYLR MSM 19 / BLK / Tow - locally at different SCs - they were from the same Fremont batch as the Vins were close. All built two days ago PF741xxx. Really rainy day at pickup - challenging to do check list, walk around was fine - car looks great 4 wheels / tires and the doors open and close. and the car runs. included rear cover and cargo covers. Floor mats too. Thank you all and may your Tesla be available soon.

Here’s my latest update:

MYLR
MSM w/ 5 seat black interior,19” wheels, no tow
Indiana

01/21 OD
01/25 EDD = 03/04 - 03/31
02/01 Mobile Charger Shipped
02/02 Welcome E-mail from Tesla
02/07 Mobile Charger Delivered
03/04 EDD = 03/12 - 03/31
03/12 EDD = 04/10 - 05/15
03/12 VIN assigned, Fremont build
03/12 EDD = 03/26 - 03/31
03/23 Delivery scheduled for 03/28
03/28 Delivery

Everything went smooth with delivery. No issues with the car from what I could tell. It came with front mud flaps and rear PPF. Sold my BMW to CarMax and got a couple thousand more than what they originally offered a couple of months ago. That process was also incredibly easy.

It does not have the Park Assist update so hopefully that arrives soon.