Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at these posts from QC Charge and the U-revision/manifold delete from Tesla, they seem to be narrowing in on the solution to the “when not if” LDU problem. I am still on my original LDU on my 12/2015 build P90D, but when I pulled my speed sensor there was moisture present (not rusty, just moisture/coolant). I was going to bring it into Tesla before my warranty is up at the end of the year to see if they could address the moisture before failure. But will Tesla only address absolute failure? Is it better to do a coolant delete before failure? Sounds like from howardc64's post the original LDUs hold up better with their triple seal and original shaft machining process versus a beat-up and poorly put-together reman unit. Is that still the case with the U revision?

Last edited:
So looking at these posts from QC Charge and the U-revision/manifold delete from Tesla, they seem to be narrowing in on the solution to the “when not if” LDU problem. I am still on my original LDU on my 12/2015 build P90D, but when I pulled my speed sensor there was moisture present (not rusty, just moisture/coolant). I was going to bring it into Tesla before my warranty is up at the end of the year to see if they could address the moisture before failure. But will Tesla only address absolute failure? Is it better to do a coolant delete before failure? Sounds like from howardc64's post the original LDUs hold up better with their triple seal and original shaft machining process versus a beat-up and poorly put-together reman unit. Is that still the case with the U revision?
The "U" version will have a "factory rotor cooling delete", so the condition of the sealing surface on the rotor shaft becomes irrelevant. The issue right now is that Tesla doesn't offer the delete manifold as a standalone part, so the only way to get it from them is to buy the whole drive unit.
You might be able to try and get Tesla to cover your existing D.U. under warranty, but past experience says that typically they will only replace it when it starts to display symptoms (either the drive unit dies completely, or starts throwing isolation faults and such).

3rd party repair shops all seems to be using triple lipped PTFE seal and results seems to be good. Seen them show brief videos of shaft repair with flame spray metal and chrome plating repair. Its a small area with very tight specifications along with a tiny blind seal installed chamfer. High degree of care necessary. Not wise to just hand it to a shop in US without them investing spec knowledge. In US, this is unlikely unless you have volume (B2B) or know shop owner. Cost doesn't justify their investment.

Don't know what SC will do. They seem mostly under HQ's one side fits all decisions on all things including LDU. Don't know if they will charge you to pull speed sensor or do warranty replacement without clear failure. Warranty replacements also likely reman that likely leak quickly and last couple years before failure.

On Rev U, it seems fairly recent so don't have much stats. Will take a few years gather trying to gather from end user community.

Both with and without the oil cooling loop are great aftermarket options, and I hope these will make it to production (unlike Tony's battery health monitor for the RAV4 EV, and his Model 3 cells retrofit, "coming soon" projects, which never made it to fruition, though he posted them both as for-sure-gonna-happens).

You will want your web guru to fix a couple of typos over on the storefront: the GM spec lubricant is "Dexron", not "Dextron".

COOLANT DELETE Tesla Large Drive Unit :
. . . the rotor can be specifically cooled with Dextron VI . . .

I pulled the drive unit out of my parts car to get started on a bypass. I found the most simple thing to do was to run a half inch drill through the top hole after removing the rotor cooling pipe using a 20 ton press. Placing it back on the drive unit, it appears I’ll be able to drive a pipe through there and it will clear the rotor. That’s as far as I’m going tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5956.jpeg
    IMG_5956.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5957.jpeg
    IMG_5957.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 89
I pulled the drive unit out of my parts car to get started on a bypass. I found the most simple thing to do was to run a half inch drill through the top hole after removing the rotor cooling pipe using a 20 ton press. Placing it back on the drive unit, it appears I’ll be able to drive a pipe through there and it will clear the rotor. That’s as far as I’m going tonight.

Cool, I noted in the openinverter thread the internal cover/cap need to also account for rotor shaft travel pressing against the bevel washers in the outer bearing bore. So after taking measurements of rotor shaft depth in the manifold, may need to add another 0.5-1mm.

A little more progress this morning. Home Depot only sells one aluminum tube stock and it happens to be the exact size I needed. Very tight press fit. Next step will be filling in the gaps with JB Weld.

Attachments

• IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5971.jpeg
    IMG_5971.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5970.jpeg
    IMG_5970.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5967.jpeg
    IMG_5967.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5966.jpeg
    IMG_5966.jpeg
    525.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5963.jpeg
    IMG_5963.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5962.jpeg
    IMG_5962.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 84
We've got a new aftermarket manifold option we've been working on at QC Charge. It can be used either for a complete rotor cooling delete, or to split the rotor cooling to a separate circuit, which can be oil cooled. Hopefully we will have them available starting in January after we do some further testing.

We expect to sell the "manifold" for $599. Oil cooling would add additional cost for a pump, reservoir, and heat exchanger. We will sell these either as standalone parts, as well as with availability for installation at our shop.

View attachment 989288

View attachment 989290
Why can't oil be used to cool the whole drive unit, inverter and rotor?

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Why can't oil be used to cool the whole drive unit, inverter and rotor?
Oil likely doesn't have enough heat transfer capability to properly cool the inverter, and even the stator could be a potential issue for heat buildup. Unlike the oil cooled SDUs, which run oil directly through the windings in the stator, the LDU relies on heat transfer through the resin and aluminum case for cooling. Combine that loss in cooling efficiency with the decreased cooling capabilities of the oil, and you have the potential for overheating.

Oil likely doesn't have enough heat transfer capability to properly cool the inverter, and even the stator could be a potential issue for heat buildup. Unlike the oil cooled SDUs, which run oil directly through the windings in the stator, the LDU relies on heat transfer through the resin and aluminum case for cooling. Combine that loss in cooling efficiency with the decreased cooling capabilities of the oil, and you have the potential for overheating.
Do u know if SDU's Rotor is also submerged in oil? can't seem to find definitive answer to that...

Thank you guys a ton for making this. I've been contemplating parting with my P85 and opting for a 90d setup to get rid of the LDU situation. I have not been following this situation for half a year or so, my P85 now has 82k miles (2013) and the drive unit was replaced at 30k miles. I haven't checked for leaks in six months.

I am just catching up on this development with Tesla not using a cooled rotor (U model I believe) and QC charge now offering an aftermarket solution to retrofit existing LDU's.

1. Does the model U work for existing performance models (much higher peak power) over the original LDU on the base model?
2. Any idea of life expectancy on the updated LDU (e.g. will the shaft get hot or warp) with the factory coolant delete from Tesla?
3. From the QCCharge feature, it appears going to a wrecker and acquring the components from a model 3 will provide some level of cooling over the original solution with transmission fluid (dextron). I am assuming the dextron w/ the QCCharge solution can still leak into the housing as the seal shaft is still intact.

My understanding and please correct me if I am wrong-

QCCharge solution - coolant delete but must add oil cooling to replace
Tesla model U solution - coolant delete with no added cooling.

Please let me know what I am missing.

I am assuming either QCCharge will perform the entire upgrade as a feature (AJ please provide an estimate to have it done by you guys) vs. DIY. If QCCharge still does the coolant delete, are drain hoses still required so we can change out the fluid? What tools are required for DIY conversion? (I am contemplating putting a lift in my shop for $5k and doing this work myself over sending it out).

Very excited to have an upgrade path so I can keep my Tesla 400k miles.

Thanks
beastman

1. Does the model U work for existing performance models (much higher peak power) over the original LDU on the base model?
Yes, there is a U revision for both the Sport and Base units, each in new or reman.
2. Any idea of life expectancy on the updated LDU (e.g. will the shaft get hot or warp) with the factory coolant delete from Tesla?
Nobody would know that yet. We really don't know what the "delete" version does since nobody has disassembled one...yet.
3. From the QCCharge feature, it appears going to a wrecker and acquring the components from a model 3 will provide some level of cooling over the original solution with transmission fluid (dextron). I am assuming the dextron w/ the QCCharge solution can still leak into the housing as the seal shaft is still intact.
I am curious about their oil cooling option also. I'm not sure if Dexron is going to do any better with the seal. If it leaks, it will fill the inverter and Dexron is only dielectric when fresh.

Thank you guys a ton for making this. I've been contemplating parting with my P85 and opting for a 90d setup to get rid of the LDU situation. I have not been following this situation for half a year or so, my P85 now has 82k miles (2013) and the drive unit was replaced at 30k miles. I haven't checked for leaks in six months.

I am just catching up on this development with Tesla not using a cooled rotor (U model I believe) and QC charge now offering an aftermarket solution to retrofit existing LDU's.

My understanding and please correct me if I am wrong-

QCCharge solution - coolant delete but must add oil cooling to replace
Tesla model U solution - coolant delete with no added cooling.

Please let me know what I am missing.

I am assuming either QCCharge will perform the entire upgrade as a feature (AJ please provide an estimate to have it done by you guys) vs. DIY. If QCCharge still does the coolant delete, are drain hoses still required so we can change out the fluid? What tools are required for DIY conversion? (I am contemplating putting a lift in my shop for $5k and doing this work myself over sending it out).

Very excited to have an upgrade path so I can keep my Tesla 400k miles.

Thanks
beastman
With our solution you can do either NO rotor cooling (like the Rev U Tesla LDU), or as an option oil cooling can be added on. Our manifolds will be backwards compatible, so if you put it on without cooling and you change your mind, the cooling can be added on later (the drive unit would need to be removed from the vehicle to do so of course).

The cost of the base version (rotor cooling delete) will be $599 for the part, either available for DIY, or we can install it here at our shop. The labor should be somewhere in the ~4-5hr range to install it (drive unit needs to be removed from the vehicle to install). We still need to do some more validation and finalize parts sourcing for the optional oil cooling parts, but that will probably be in the ~$500 range, plus of course the extra labor to install. We would of course recommend a drain setup if utilizing the oil cooling for the rotor.

There is of course a risk of ATF leakage if there is a seal issue on the oil cooled option, but with oil there should be some significant advantages:
1. Lubricating properties of the oil "should" keep the seal from wearing out as quickly.
2. Oil is non-conductive, and non-corrosive, so IF it does leak, it shouldn't "destroy" the drive unit like coolant does.

As far as disadvantages to not having cooling, it's hard to say for sure without long term data. Clearly Tesla has decided that will be their path forward, and one would like to think that they did some sort of serious validation to make this sort of change, but who knows... If I were to guess, the most likely downside would be a decreased lifespan of the rotor bearings, but I think that's a worthy tradeoff if it means the rest of the motor doesn't get destroyed by coolant intrusion. And honestly, the amount of cooling the rotor does get in the stock configuration is teeny tiny, as the main restriction is a ~1/8" hole where that circuit passes through the two case halves. As it is already, the rotor gets hot enough to discolor the steel laminations.