Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do different model years have different top supercharging speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly I couldn't find a straightforward answer to this question online: I have a 2017 Model X 75D - Will my car be able to take advantage of the 250 kW speed or are older models limited to a different number? If it is different, is there a resource that shows the different charging rates per model year?

Thanks in advance!

Surprisingly I couldn't find a straightforward answer to this question online: I have a 2017 Model X 75D - Will my car be able to take advantage of the 250 kW speed or are older models limited to a different number? If it is different, is there a resource that shows the different charging rates per model year?

Thanks in advance!

Yea that’s what I was finding, a lot of outdated posts (that one from 2019) which says: “We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months. V3 Supercharging will roll out to the wider fleet in an over the air firmware update to all owners in Q2 as more V3 Superchargers come online.”

Did that happen? And do all cars have the same speeds now?

Yea that’s what I was finding, a lot of outdated posts (that one from 2019) which says: “We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months. V3 Supercharging will roll out to the wider fleet in an over the air firmware update to all owners in Q2 as more V3 Superchargers come online.”

Did that happen? And do all cars have the same speeds now?

It sounds like if S and X to get 250kW, their
wiring must be thicker to accommodate that. Which means 2020 and after.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wouldn’t expect S&X prior to the recent refresh to achieve anywhere close to 250kW. I saw lots of company tweets which seemed to indicate that would be the case but reality with Raven and earlier generations has been much slower.

The Palladium (Plaid generation) S is the first S that seems to deliver on 3/Y like fast charging speeds or better.

My December 2018 Model S100D achieves 196 kW on a brand new 250 kW Supercharger.

As I understand it, the S started at 90, then 120, then the X came out, and at some point they started progressively increasing the max charge rate the car could accept reaching 200 kW until the palladiums came out, at which point they can charge at LEAST at 250 kW (Elon has suggested its actually higher, but the Superchargers can't go higher, yet). The 3s and Ys have been at 250 since they first came out. We don't know if any changes have been made to allow higher.

• Helpful
Our X prior to 2021.36 would peak in the 140’s at V3’s and high 120’s on V2’s.
Peaks are now low-mid 120’s across the board.

BFD3BD3E-C486-4883-A9B6-9289A666F3C8.jpeg

Surprisingly I couldn't find a straightforward answer to this question online: I have a 2017 Model X 75D - Will my car be able to take advantage of the 250 kW speed or are older models limited to a different number?
I hope you appreciate the complexity of the question you are asking! Because Tesla updates their vehicles continuously (not just on a model year basis), and because of the large number of variations, as well as past (and future) software updates to "unlock" additional charging power, this is not a "straightforward" question to answer!

The guys at abetterrouteplanner.com have made it one of their missions to amass charging data from vehicles so as to create and improve their charging models for accurate prediction of charging rates in their trip planning software, and from time to time they do share this data:

That is a somewhat old post, but that's actually what you need if you are interested in the charging curve for a 2017 X75D.

At any rate, the chances are likely close to zero that your 2017 X75D will ever charge at anywhere near 250kW. The battery chemistry at the time as well as the physical hardware (cable sizes, cooling system capability, etc.) just won't handle it.

• Love
I hope you appreciate the complexity of the question you are asking! Because Tesla updates their vehicles continuously (not just on a model year basis), and because of the large number of variations, as well as past (and future) software updates to "unlock" additional charging power, this is not a "straightforward" question to answer!

The guys at abetterrouteplanner.com have made it one of their missions to amass charging data from vehicles so as to create and improve their charging models for accurate prediction of charging rates in their trip planning software, and from time to time they do share this data:

That is a somewhat old post, but that's actually what you need if you are interested in the charging curve for a 2017 X75D.

At any rate, the chances are likely close to zero that your 2017 X75D will ever charge at anywhere near 250kW. The battery chemistry at the time as well as the physical hardware (cable sizes, cooling system capability, etc.) just won't handle it.
1639407175717.jpeg

More or less as fast as we’ve gotten out of our MX Raven Standard Range (BTX5)