TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do we have heated mirrors?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Khatsalano, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Do we have heated external mirrors that come on when we hit the rear defrost button? This is my first winter coming up and this morning, the outside mirrors fogged pretty badly.

- K

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

Yes, they are heated.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Are they linked to rear defrost and/or any other button? I thought we did too, but haven't had a need for anything but windshield defrost yet, so I haven't figured out how they are activated.

4. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I'm guessing it must be linked to the rear defrost button? I tried it this morning, but it was so dark out, I couldn't really tell the results before I reached my destination.

- K

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Yes. They activate on rear defrost. You can see it on the controls screen, they light up red as you active rear window defroster. And yes, they do work.

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Thanks, Johan. California doesn't create many opportunities to use the feature and it's my first winter.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe there were some very early cars that didn't have them unless you also had the tech package. (This is retrieving from memory)

8. cottylowry

cottylowry 2013 Model S

I have an early car, SN 04531 and I"ll check -- plenty of opportunity here in Minnesota. I see that there is be a band about 1/4 inch wide around the outside edge of both side view mirrors, slightly different color than that of the center of the mirrors. Is this for the mirror heating system perhaps?

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

That is for the electrochromatic film that helps with glare. If you get someone's headlights at ahold spot, you could see that. It of the mirror not turning green while the film covered area does.

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

VIN #9846 no heated mirrors here.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I recall that as well. My March 2013 car has them, and they are activated along with the rear defroster. I do have the Tech Package.

12. Kalud

Kalud Member

As said by others, when you activate the rear defroster the mirrors gets heated. You can see them turning red in the "Cold Weather" screen if you have that package.

IMG_5011.JPG

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I do not have the cold weather package on my car, so no cold weather display.