Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we have heated mirrors?

Khatsalano

Mar 21, 2015
San Mateo, CA
Do we have heated external mirrors that come on when we hit the rear defrost button? This is my first winter coming up and this morning, the outside mirrors fogged pretty badly.

- K

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Are they linked to rear defrost and/or any other button? I thought we did too, but haven't had a need for anything but windshield defrost yet, so I haven't figured out how they are activated.

Khatsalano

Mar 21, 2015
San Mateo, CA
I'm guessing it must be linked to the rear defrost button? I tried it this morning, but it was so dark out, I couldn't really tell the results before I reached my destination.

- K

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
Yes. They activate on rear defrost. You can see it on the controls screen, they light up red as you active rear window defroster. And yes, they do work.

• Informative
Reactions: darxsys and GSP

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
I believe there were some very early cars that didn't have them unless you also had the tech package. (This is retrieving from memory)

cottylowry

2013 Model S
Jan 20, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have an early car, SN 04531 and I"ll check -- plenty of opportunity here in Minnesota. I see that there is be a band about 1/4 inch wide around the outside edge of both side view mirrors, slightly different color than that of the center of the mirrors. Is this for the mirror heating system perhaps?

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I have an early car, SN 04531 and I"ll check -- plenty of opportunity here in Minnesota. I see that there is be a band about 1/4 inch wide around the outside edge of both side view mirrors, slightly different color than that of the center of the mirrors. Is this for the mirror heating system perhaps?

That is for the electrochromatic film that helps with glare. If you get someone's headlights at ahold spot, you could see that. It of the mirror not turning green while the film covered area does.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
I believe there were some very early cars that didn't have them unless you also had the tech package. (This is retrieving from memory)

I recall that as well. My March 2013 car has them, and they are activated along with the rear defroster. I do have the Tech Package.

Kalud

May 7, 2013
Montreal, QC
As said by others, when you activate the rear defroster the mirrors gets heated. You can see them turning red in the "Cold Weather" screen if you have that package.

IMG_5011.JPG

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
Bringing this back from the dead. What a STUPID decision it was to link the REAR defroster to the FRONT mirrors. I mean, WTF? It's like the UI was designed using mad libs by someone who's never seen seasons before.

So I went through the exercise of forgetting since last winter that the mirrors won't heat if I don't turn on the rear defrosters. UGH.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Bringing this back from the dead. What a STUPID decision it was to link the REAR defroster to the FRONT mirrors. I mean, WTF? It's like the UI was designed using mad libs by someone who's never seen seasons before.

So I went through the exercise of forgetting since last winter that the mirrors won't heat if I don't turn on the rear defrosters. UGH.
My previous car had the rear defroster link to the heated mirrors. Is it different in other cars?

ColdRauv

Oct 29, 2015
Minnesota
Everyone is waiting with baited breath for the day when the smart people in this forum are allowed to create apps that work, but until then, we are stuck with a UI that gets more user unfriendly with every new update. I drove my old jeep the last few days and it struck me how easy it was to select radio presets. I'm not even sure that radio presets even exist anymore in Teslaworld, but if they do, I'm sure they are right there, just 7 easy clicks away and one swooosh of the screen while you're driving. Grrrrrrrr. Oh but wait---we have Album Art! Done with rant. Love the car, but I leave the sound off and hum to myself instead.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone and AWDtsla

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON

Stupid decision or not, every ICE car that I have owned has worked exactly the same way. I guess Tesla just decided to emulate functionality that everyone is already familiar with.

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
Stupid decision or not, every ICE car that I have owned has worked exactly the same way. I guess Tesla just decided to emulate functionality that everyone is already familiar with.
Apparently, I've not owned "every" car before, because my previous cars had either independent buttons, or linked to wiper heat, or on automatically.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Apparently, I've not owned "every" car before, because my previous cars had either independent buttons, or linked to wiper heat, or on automatically.

My 2006 Toyota 4Runner had it linked to rear window defrost. My 2008 VW EOS had an independent switch. I'm cool with it either way.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON

Yeah, obviously I haven't driven every single car with heated mirrors... but every one I have has worked this way. In fact, when I got my Model S in the winter of 2012/2013 and my mirrors iced up for the first time, I didn't even think about it and just hit the rear defroster switch assuming (as it turns out, correctly) that this is how they worked.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC