Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we have heated mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early car, SN 04531 and I"ll check -- plenty of opportunity here in Minnesota. I see that there is be a band about 1/4 inch wide around the outside edge of both side view mirrors, slightly different color than that of the center of the mirrors. Is this for the mirror heating system perhaps?

I have an early car, SN 04531 and I"ll check -- plenty of opportunity here in Minnesota. I see that there is be a band about 1/4 inch wide around the outside edge of both side view mirrors, slightly different color than that of the center of the mirrors. Is this for the mirror heating system perhaps?

That is for the electrochromatic film that helps with glare. If you get someone's headlights at ahold spot, you could see that. It of the mirror not turning green while the film covered area does.

As said by others, when you activate the rear defroster the mirrors gets heated. You can see them turning red in the "Cold Weather" screen if you have that package.

IMG_5011.JPG

Bringing this back from the dead. What a STUPID decision it was to link the REAR defroster to the FRONT mirrors. I mean, WTF? It's like the UI was designed using mad libs by someone who's never seen seasons before.

So I went through the exercise of forgetting since last winter that the mirrors won't heat if I don't turn on the rear defrosters. UGH.

Bringing this back from the dead. What a STUPID decision it was to link the REAR defroster to the FRONT mirrors. I mean, WTF? It's like the UI was designed using mad libs by someone who's never seen seasons before.

So I went through the exercise of forgetting since last winter that the mirrors won't heat if I don't turn on the rear defrosters. UGH.
My previous car had the rear defroster link to the heated mirrors. Is it different in other cars?

Everyone is waiting with baited breath for the day when the smart people in this forum are allowed to create apps that work, but until then, we are stuck with a UI that gets more user unfriendly with every new update. I drove my old jeep the last few days and it struck me how easy it was to select radio presets. I'm not even sure that radio presets even exist anymore in Teslaworld, but if they do, I'm sure they are right there, just 7 easy clicks away and one swooosh of the screen while you're driving. Grrrrrrrr. Oh but wait---we have Album Art! Done with rant. Love the car, but I leave the sound off and hum to myself instead.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone and AWDtsla

Stupid decision or not, every ICE car that I have owned has worked exactly the same way. I guess Tesla just decided to emulate functionality that everyone is already familiar with.

Stupid decision or not, every ICE car that I have owned has worked exactly the same way. I guess Tesla just decided to emulate functionality that everyone is already familiar with.
Apparently, I've not owned "every" car before, because my previous cars had either independent buttons, or linked to wiper heat, or on automatically.

Apparently, I've not owned "every" car before, because my previous cars had either independent buttons, or linked to wiper heat, or on automatically.

My 2006 Toyota 4Runner had it linked to rear window defrost. My 2008 VW EOS had an independent switch. I'm cool with it either way.

Yeah, obviously I haven't driven every single car with heated mirrors... but every one I have has worked this way. In fact, when I got my Model S in the winter of 2012/2013 and my mirrors iced up for the first time, I didn't even think about it and just hit the rear defroster switch assuming (as it turns out, correctly) that this is how they worked.