Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Tesla Model Y Performance after 2000km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
sorry for the bad English sometimes... I speak Dutch.

I have my Model Y Performance for 35 days now and driven it 2000km in Belgium (Europe).

I like to give you my honest opinion of this car coming from multiple BMW's, and why I want to switch to BMW again.

Probably already a zillion posts about this, but if it helps someone making a decision between a Tesla and a BMW...

I bought the Tesla after I had a Model 3 as a company car for 6 months and I was looking to go electric with my personal car.
What made me buy it was the supercharger network, the looks of the car, the infotainment and the acceleration.
I watched maybe a hundred Youtube videos before making the decision and I had driven a Model 3 before.
The Model Y looked like the perfect car.
Paid 70k for the Quicksilver Performance version and white seats.

I will start with my conclusion after just 2k km... In the end it comes down to the fact I come from a line of BMW cars and I can't help but compare every time I ride the Tesla.
I like parts of the Tesla of course, but I miss too many things that were just standard in the BMW. For me sitting in a BMW is much more relaxed, has a premium feeling to it and I feel more confident riding them without having to think about small issues that frustrate me in the end. So I'll be switching to a BMW again.

I did not test drive an electric BMW before making the Tesla purchase. Just because the BMW was more expensive and we drive to the south of France every year and BMW does not have the supercharger network. I realize that when going on holidays the Tesla would have been superior in terms of experience. But it does not make up for the frustrations on a daily base.

Overall rating Tesla Model Y Performance 6,5/10.

Here are some of the things that I used most and rated them good/ok/bad.
I like to start with the bad.

The Bad
DELIVERY
- Oh man... I had my fair share of stress. Tesla probably has the worst customer experience of any car maker in Belgium for taking delivery.
Long story short my delivery date was rescheduled 3 times and my car was used at a Belgian car show AFTER I already paid the full amount!
Did not receive any compensation for the trouble, they just said sorry we need to use your car for a week and lied two times about the whereabouts of the car.

TESLA ONLINE STORE
- Bought a 210 euro keyfob and they (Musk?) decided to save money on the batteries. Watched several Youtube videos where they all unbox and first thing under the keyfob are batteries. A person in the community noticed they stated on the website it comes without batteries, but WHY??? The keyfob is useless without batteries. So I had to drive to the store first to get 2032-type batteries.

USS
- Removing USS was the worst idea without a fix through Vision only. I ordered the car in July 2022, the car had USS parking sensors then.
I received my car in 2023 without them. It was a deal breaker but salesperson said the fix was arriving soon. Hoped to receive it every single day since!
Not having decent parking aid is the most frustrating thing of this car.
Maybe in USA all parking spots and garages are huge and don't require them, but in Europe it's almost impossible to park without them and not worry about scratches.
When it's dark outside it's even worse. I just push the brake so my brake lights show what is behind me.
I mean, I always rear parked with the Tesla because at least I had the camera to somewhat rely on, I don't know how others do this.
But parking front first is just guessing nothing is sticking out that will hit your bumper.
It was so frustrating everyday that I made the conclusion that I do not want any car without them at this time. I'm just so used to them now.
I do not wish to wait for a fix that will probably not tackle every frustration while parking.

BUILD QUALITY
- Build quality is still far from a premium European car imo.
It's improved compared to the Model 3 I had before, but it's just not premium or luxury.
And let me say that I am really forgiving in terms of panel gaps, which I shouldn't be on a brand new car.
Yes, this 2023 Model Y has a fair share of them, but I just did not want to send it back.
Opening en closing the frunk gives a flimsy impression. After a month the frunk is already squeaking.
There is a noticeable difference between the front doors and the rear doors in weight and quality. Rear doors feel like a 25 year old Toyota. There is no weight in those doors.
Front doors are ok but not what I'm used to. The interior is ok but just doesn't feel premium.

RIDE QUALITY
- Can't get used to this car honestly. Steering wheel shakes when driving +150km on highways. I live in Belgium, we have the worst roads in most parts of the country.
I feel shaking of the wheels or steering wheel when driving when it should not. Roads I have driven for the past 7 years with other cars and never noticed anything. Could be because of the suspension/tires. I don't know. I just really notice it in this car.
This is a sportscar that has a speed limit of 250 km/h, but how anybody can feel confident driving +150 km/h in this I just don't understand.

PAINT
- 2k km and I have 3 spots missing paint from chips on a car coming from the "best paint facility in the world" (according to Musk).
So I check my 5 year old black BMW for comparison... it has them but not that deep into the paint.
It's a Berlin model and a Quicksilver, so it comes from their brand new paint facility.
Yes, the overall paint is better and it's a nice color, but it chips so fast and deep that you can see white spots.
No, I don't wish to spend another 5k on PPF.
Also, upon receiving my car there was blemish in the paint on the rear door. Did not notice it until I was at home and really did not want to go back and service the car. And the frunk has two paint imperfections where a bubble or something had formed under the paint (+- 2mm).

DOORHANDLES
- Personal opinion but I think they are stupid. Whenever I pick someone up, I have to open the window and explain what they need to do.
Also, they are black and already show scratches from people wearing rings. Also in this area not a nice paint quality or finish.

CRUISE CONTROL
I name it cruise control because that's what you at least want from a car this expensive.
Tesla Autopilot is the worst system I have used in a long time. Why call it even Autopilot because it clearly is no autopilot.
It looks promising and its cool looking at the visuals and all, but it just does standard stuff wrong and worse than competitors. In Europe at least.
I feel that the Model 3 I had was better with autopilot than the one I'm driving now.
It's good at taking corners on highways on autopilot, but just regular cruise control with good speed recognition is nowhere near as good as my previous cars.
It feels like someone is driving the car that just has their drivers license and not confident about driving. Braking and slowing down all to frequent.
In the end I just don't use AP anymore just because I don't trust it. The speed limit is always off and people behind me must go crazy with the brake lights popping up all the time. It also can't recognize speed limits above highways in Europe.
I'm not saying it should adapt to the speed limit, but just showing the correct information isn't even possible.
So probably good in USA on wide roads, long trips and less congested traffic maybe.

AUTOMATIC WIPERS
Please don't start by saying I could just replace them with Bosch wipers. I know ok.
But for a car this expensive you expect better wipers and sensors that actually work.
I have never owned a car with automatic wipers where I had to engage the wipers manually so frequently. Really, I have the car for such a short time and use the manual mode for wipers almost everyday because they would not function when they needed to.

The OK
RANGE
Range is not what is advertised, but it is ok. I get around 340km out of my 90% charge and it's still cold outside so I guess that's good.

SOUND SYSTEM
The sound system is ok but it can't compare to Harman Kardon for example in a BMW.
Much more defined and better spread in the car.

STEERING WHEEL
The steering wheel is ok but feels a bit cheap. The two buttons on the steering wheel also. This has not changed since the Model 3 I drove so I was already used to them. When pressing the buttons for the next song, sometimes I would slide of or not push hard enough. Side pressing is not my favorite, I prefer the actual downward push buttons.

KEYLESS ENTRY
Keyless entry with smartphone worked almost all of the time.
The keyfob on the other hand I had to reconnect twice already.

The Good
LOOKS
The Quicksilver Performance model looks cool, I really love the looks of the car.
The white interior gives you a spacious feeling, I like the color.

ACCELERATION
The acceleration is insane, but I thought I would be using it more frequently when in fact I only truly use the full power when going on highways and no one is in front of me.
Driving the car feels fun, it reacts immediately. Yet ride quality is not the best.

REGENERATIVE BREAKING
Regenerative breaking is really good, almost never use the brakes.

CHARGING
Good charging experience. Automatic port opening when the charger is near is nice to have. Went to a supercharger once. Was nice to watch Netflix for 30 minutes.

INFOTAINMENT
The infotainment system is the best. Really responsive and good visuals. I love the Apple Music and Spotify apps which I use most. Changing car settings is easy and intuitive. Never played games and never used any of the gimmicks.

SENTRY MODE
Sentry mode is a nice feature but could be better if you would get immediate alerts on your watch or phone through the app. Now you only see what happened when you get back to the car (I think).

CAMERAS
Camera's popping up when changing lanes and rear drive is a cool feature. Works really well.

APP
The app is good. I did have 2 times where the app just wouldn't connect. Service mode error.
Preconditioning the car every morning is really the best. Couldn't care less about the gimmicks in the app.
Charging status is clear.
Scheduling repair through the app was easy.
Watching the car in sentry mode is cool but never a reason to use this actually.

SPACE
Really a lot of storage space and good space for passengers.

I feel sad because I hyped this car so much and waited for this car for 7 months.
But in the end it just frustrates me more than my previous cars. The tech, looks, acceleration and supercharger network do not make up for all the minor flaws and stuff I miss that I had in previous cars.

View attachment 918566
"Tesla Model Y Classic-Gala 2022 1X7A0411" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I purchased a Model Y Long Range (white, white interior, 19 inch wheels) on January 21, 2023. I agree with most of your review with one significant exception. I have owned a BMW 3 Series, 5 MBs, and a 911, and I still own a MB GLK 350. My opinion is that the Tesla Model Y is simply NOT a luxury vehicle and should not be viewed a one (or compared to one). If you are expecting a luxury vehicle (and especially if you have owned a luxury vehicle) you will be disappointed. The Model Y is an advanced Electric Vehicle (high performance/efficiency), and is a significant departure from traditional automotive design. The doors and hatches appear "light" because they are light to increase efficiency. The long range model Y is 4386 lbs., the BMW iX is 5707 lbs. The interior is spartan and noise insulation is minimal to keep cost down. The ride is somewhat rough because they use "EV" tires that have a very low rolling resistance (stiff sidewalls, hard tread, high pressure). These are the compromises that are made to produce an affordable advanced EV.

I'm unfamiliar with the "pricing" in the Netherlands, but I only paid $54,990 for my Long Range Model Y (not including sales tax). With the US Federal tax credit of $7,500 and the Colorado State tax credit of $2.,000 the vehicle only cost me $45,490. It's only a US perspective but for under $46K it is the best option on the market today. The BMW iX (similar interior dimensions to the model Y) is a true luxury vehicle, but it is near $100K and does not get the US Federal tax credit. You get what you pay for.

BUT......for people considering buying a Model Y, be aware it has many faults. After two months of ownership here's my perspective:

Pros: Price, Range, Acceleration, Handling, Mature EV technology, Experienced Service Staff (this does not equate to a quality service experience, just that they know what they are doing), Interior Space, Rear legroom, Heat pump, Blind spot camera, Tesla App., Free online service/parts manuals (for those so inclined). Tesla has recently opened up their charging network to non Tesla vehicles so this is no longer a differentiator.

Cons: Low Frequency (Booming) Noise (This can be reduced with "significant" DIY tasks - see related posts. Without the DIY fixes this car is unacceptable), Road Noise (minor DIY fixes are available), VERY poor build quality (this can be addressed through service calls, but typically requires escalation through service management, i.e. do not expect a quality service experience and I blame this on management not the service techs), Stiff Ride, Excessive use of the touch screen, Glass roof is hot and increases interior noise, No blind spot alert, No cross traffic alert, No parking distance alert, No birds eye view, No driver display, No Apple car play, Non perforated seats, small steering wheel, poor turning radius, Erratic rain sensor wipers, Poor windshield spray (short burst only), Extremely small rear window, Poor window switches placement on driver door (you hit them every time to grab the door handle and accidentally open a window), Moderate rattles, Mediocre interior materials, Stock All Season Radials are not good in the snow.

This is a long list of Cons, but again, the Model Y is NOT a luxury vehicle. For $46K I'm very satisfied with mine. However, if it were not for the $9,500 of tax credits, I would have chosen the Hyundai Ionic 5 or the Kia EV 6 (quieter, better built, more features). If VW (ID.4) could improve their range (especially cold weather) and their acceleration without increasing the price, it would also be a better choice. I can't buy a ford, I've already sued them once.

Last edited:
I can understand your concern…Esp if you have crappy roads then its a massage chair on vibrate. but a car that does 0/60 in less than 5 secs its gonna be a sports car. I think they have to have stiff suspension ow youre going to fly off the road at max acceleration. Or most on here will complain its too soft. Plus its weights quite a bit. I know they sell it as an SUV but we all know this is a crossover at best.
On the same note I still have my Jeep Cherokee and it feels like a boat to me now.
Good luck. If you like the car despite all the issues perhaps there are softer aftermarket suspension options and different tires?
Yeah - I've upgrade the suspension and just purchased new tires (19" Vredestein's, I didn't switch to 18" wheels.) I've also dropped the pressure to 38 PSI. I still can't drink my coffee on the way to work because the car is bouncing around so much and riding so rough. Last week my wife was sitting in the back seat and commented that the ride was horrible.

I hear what you say about the acceleration, but it's frustrating when I see posts from people who've test driven the MME, Genesis, etc that have acceleration that's at least comparable yet still manage to have much better rides.

While the OP is entitled to his/her opinion, it's very clear there are more happy customers than disappointed. The OP prefers BMWs and gives good reasons as to why, and that's just fine. More people choose Teslas over all other options year after year so far, and the "hype" is not confined to "fanboys." All opinions above are anecdotal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 9.59.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 9.59.42 AM.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 95
One needs to be careful with the diagram @nate704 posted. Sales volume and market share are the result of multiple factors. Just because a particular model has sold the most doesn't automatically mean it's the best. Years ago Ford kept touting that the Taurus was the best selling sedan in the U.S. What they didn't say was that a major portion of the sales were fleet sales to corporations and rental car companies. without those numbers propping it up the Taurus fell significantly. Applebee's sells more steaks than Ruth's Chris but I don't think anyone would say their steaks are better.

Tesla was in a much better position than any other carmaker last year and not surprisingly sold the most cars. Even another car, say Polestar for example, was better, they didn't have the supply, manufacturing and delivery systems in place to put up the same numbers Tesla did.

Having said that, even with its flaws the Model Y is one of, if not the best EVs on the market, IMO. Tesla is experiencing growing pains from the need to scale quickly and we've seen the results of that. Fortunately for Tesla, they've been in a position both from a reputation and a market position standpoint to weather those issues. My hope is they can work them out and continue to improve on what they have.

Reactions: Daekwan and nate704
With huge price cut and higher profit margin, Tesla will continue pressure other automakers who still lose a lot money by selling their cars can have big impact on the EV markets in the future.
If Tesla focuses on the cheaper EV models and mass produce them with lower price point than others, I am not sure if other automakers can sustain that negative margin for long.

Every other automaker is suffering for having laughed off Tesla years ago. They made some smart moves building out the supercharger network, which I cant stress enough how much that makes up with other shortcomings that Tesla customers have to indure. They are ahead in battery tech, and they arent having to "fake it until they make it" so much like the legacy automakers do. Ford with the Mach-E is basically buying turn-key solutions from parts suppliers to say they have an EV. They just cant compete this way when Tesla pushes for in-house as much as possible. I agree that the profit margins and dominant lead are Tesla's to lose, and if they can stay ahead and keep innovating, are going to have a bright future, Elon or not (where the hell is our USS sensor tech replacement?!)

Maybe Tesla can buy General Motors or Ford and get some of their manufacturing / build quality expertise involved. This includes the paint, which stuns me how bad it is , and I've owned some Subaru's with paint that was more a suggestion than an actual layer of protection..

Anyway, sorry to go off topic, but I think the Model Y is a great car more for the "system" that Tesla sells, rather than the Vehicle itself.

Tesla paint is no worse than GM or Ford. I noticed in my paint a lot of dust nibs. There is one spot on the driver door that has a small paint run that can’t be seen unless your up close. I chose to leave it alone rather having them repaint the door which could be worse and not match. I have the blue.

Tesla paint is no worse than GM or Ford. I noticed in my paint a lot of dust nibs. There is one spot on the driver door that has a small paint run that can’t be seen unless your up close. I chose to leave it alone rather having them repaint the door which could be worse and not match. I have the blue.
I cant agree. I have a corvette that sits next to my Y and absolutely the clear coat depth is not there, and there are imperfections under the paint. Chips on a month old car down to where it shows white (on a blue car) that other GM (or subaru, etc) cars never had. The corvette is 5 years old, the Y is a month old

Reactions: Daekwan
I cant agree. I have a corvette that sits next to my Y and absolutely the clear coat depth is not there, and there are imperfections under the paint. Chips on a month old car down to where it shows white (on a blue car) that other GM (or subaru, etc) cars never had. The corvette is 5 years old, the Y is a month old
Maybe corvettes are different from others by my 2018 Tahoe was horrendous. Dust nibs, drips and clear coat started to fail after 3 years and it was hand washed all the time. Not to mentioned the crap transmission and lifters. But that’s for another thread

Reactions: SO16
I recently purchased a new MYP and now have just over 5,000 miles on it and I have experienced NONE of the issues others complain about on this thread. The only real complaint I have is the lack of controls for the rear seat heaters and HVAC. in fact my family likes the car so much we plan to buy another Tesla for my wife as soon as possible.
They do have rear seat controls just open the climate menu and select rear. You can allways add S3xy buttons if you need physical controls… Unf I bought the buttons and never use em now.

They do have rear seat controls just open the climate menu and select rear. You can allways add S3xy buttons if you need physical controls… Unf I bought the buttons and never use em now.
Yeah I’m aware of the controls for the rear climate from the front seat on the main screen, but I was talking about controls for the rear seat passengers to use for their seating position. I looked at the S3XY buttons and the add on touch screens for the rear seat but I don’t want to muss around with it. Guess I’ll just bare it…like I said, it’s the only thing I’d change at this point.

My personal ranking of vehicles I've owned or driven, ranked from best to worse:
  1. Lamborghini Huracan (drove on the track, did not own)
  2. Honda S2000
  3. Honda YZF R6 (do motorcycles count?)
  4. Tesla MYP
  5. E30 BMW 325 manual
  6. E92 BMW M3 manual
  7. E90 BMW 325 manual
  8. XV70 Toyota Camry LE
  9. F48 BMW X1
  10. F30 BMW 325
  11. GDB Subaru WRX manual
  12. DC2 Acura Integra GSR manual
  13. ED9 Honda CRX SI manual
  14. Chevy Volt

I can't afford #1, the boss won't ride with me in #2, boss will leave me if I have #3, so my best option is #4

Sorry to derail this thread but this is absolutely fascinating to me, the two I highlighted especially and it really shows how much individual driver preference really supersedes all else.

I owned both these cars as well and I did not like the S2000. Whereas my E92 M3 was in my top 3 easily. The main complaint I had about the S2000 was you had to drive it like you stole it / hated it. That ridiculously high RPM range to get any power out of it made it somewhat comical. You had this almost Ferrari like buzz coming out of the car like a swarm of angry hornets but only to put out 240BHP. :-/ You have this Ferrari like sound screaming out of the engine, but an anemic Ferrari only firing on 1/2 its cylinders and going nowhere fast. :) Whereas you could get 400+ horses out of the M3 effortlessly. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure' and all that, innit? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Correct me if I'm wrong, but price-wise speaking, aren't BMW electric SUVs in a different (higher) segment – like a good $20k+ difference? Which is why it makes sense for most people choosing Model Y to feel very okay compromising on some of the build quality type things? Basically I'm not sure if this is apples to apples comparison 🤷‍♂️
more like $40k higher now!

• Informative
Reactions: gaur
GM and Ford for Quality??? LOL No Thanks!
Tesla should buy Lucid.
all my family are GM engineers, my dad retired from the proving grounds. The amount of testing is unreal. GM is leaps and bounds better than some of the crap europe is putting out lately. Japanese car makers arent the golden children they were in the 90's and 2000's. The Mach-E has way better build quality than a tesla. I'm not talking tech, but overall build quality like paint, panel gaps, etc. Tesla destroys everyone in pure tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.