Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good News, I hope.... I received this from my Tesla service manager today:

Hi Marc!

Sorry it’s been a while, I have heard back and there is a new windshield coming mid Oct. I have turned your car in as a priority when the glass is released.

I will let you know when it is released!

Thank you!

Well, it's the middle of October. Anyone hear anything new about the new windshield?

I think the reaction is separate from the intensity of the problem. Everyone's personal feeling (nausea, "dangerous") is just that - personal. Only some consistent way of measuring is going to be able to tell who has it worse or better. I see triple ghosts clearly, day or night, for bright points (reflections/lights/etc). Wearing polarized lenses completely eliminates it. When I'm not wearing those lenses, I can either choose to focus on it and get annoyed by it, or ignore it completely and drive. It's not much more than that, despite being what I'd guess is at the upper spectrum of "bad". But that's just because I'm able to do that. I bet someone more sensitive to this kind of thing would find it unbearable.

Sounds like we have a solution in the works. That's good news for everyone who is bothered, and even for those of us who are just annoyed by it.
Curious, do you have a pair of non-tinted polarized glasses (or lightly tinted for night driving)? If so, I'd love to know where you got them.

So after about a month after delivery, I finally decided to "look for it". Low and behold there it is, ghosting on the street lights and stuff. However it doesn't seem that bad and if I don't look for it I don't notice it. It could be because I have strong prescription and it's normal I see defects at night whether through windshield or not. It really doesn't bother me that much, if any.

My model X was delivered in March of this year. The windshield has triple images. As others have indicated, daylight fades out the reflections and my polarized sunglasses eliminate the issue. Night time is a whole other story. I am not particularly sensitive but the triple ghosting is extremely disconcerting. I should not have to try to ignore the distraction and it requires increased attention when driving through multi lane intersections with traffic and many signal lights.

This is not acceptable for any car let alone a car of this magnitude. I had my car in service back in May for a host of issues but the windshield was not fixed at the time as the service manager indicated it was a known problem but wanted to wait to get a different batch of windshields.

My car is presently in service and is supposedly getting that new windshield that will correct the problem. I will post the results when it is done.

As a side note, my son has a model X which I have driven at night and there was no ghosting. His was delivered in July. My neighbor got one in August and he also has no ghosting. Based on this I am sure that this is a fixable problem as long as they have the right batch of windshields.

My model X was delivered in March of this year. The windshield has triple images. As others have indicated, daylight fades out the reflections and my polarized sunglasses eliminate the issue. Night time is a whole other story. I am not particularly sensitive but the triple ghosting is extremely disconcerting. I should not have to try to ignore the distraction and it requires increased attention when driving through multi lane intersections with traffic and many signal lights.

This is not acceptable for any car let alone a car of this magnitude. I had my car in service back in May for a host of issues but the windshield was not fixed at the time as the service manager indicated it was a known problem but wanted to wait to get a different batch of windshields.

My car is presently in service and is supposedly getting that new windshield that will correct the problem. I will post the results when it is done.

As a side note, my son has a model X which I have driven at night and there was no ghosting. His was delivered in July. My neighbor got one in August and he also has no ghosting. Based on this I am sure that this is a fixable problem as long as they have the right batch of windshields.
Thanks for the post. I also received my X in March and have an equally bad windshield -- triple lights at a distance; double closer in.

Looking forward to hearing about your replaced windshield. They are also getting one for mine.

I got mine in early August (vin 12kkk) and there is pretty bad ghosting. I can see it pretty clearly even during the day.
Someone mentioned that even if you can't see it directly it causes everything to look slightly foggy which makes sense and I'm definitely seeing that as well.
I'm glad to hear that there are confirmed windshields which don't have it so it's just a question of time before I go in and get mine done.

I've really looking forward to hearing about powered's windshield replacement.

I have waited for a call for a little over a week and decided to call in to check status. Tesla is fixing the outstanding issues I have had since delivery in March with one exception, the windshield. The service tech told me that they could not guarantee their in stock replacement windshields would fix the problem but that they will be fixing it as soon as they get the right windshield. His answer made no sense as I have been in X's with no ghosting so at least to me they can have the windshield manufactured correctly. He professed ignorance and said the service manager will be calling me with a timetable and specific answers.

I am not sure what has changed since the manager had told me to bring it in as they have the correct windshields at this point. I will post when I have new information and/or get my car back. I am being told at any rate they are keeping it another week.

• Informative
Reactions: Scmbug