Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol! Honestly, i think I've trained myself to ignore most of these by not paying attention, but cars with full width horizontal tail lights (like the newest body style Dodge Durango) still pop out and remind me how bad this issue really is. I think because if it's just circles they blur together vertically, but the Durango's tail light is very well defined, so it's very very clear that I'm seeing one above the other, and it's not supposed to look like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Same. I also see some refraction in my new X but it is not nearly as pronounced as the pictures posted earlier.
When was your delivery? We seem to have established that there's quite a bit of variability in this based on owner sensitivity and differences in the actual product. What is hard to get a grasp on is whether anything is changing for the better as time progresses. Mine looks very similar to the photos posted, and I had a March build.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
Also, what's become clear for me is that I don't, as many others do, experience the problem as much when its complete dark outside.
For me it seems to peak at dusk, just as my photos show.
The problem is still there tough at dark, it's just that the ghosting images blend in to eachother more, at dusk instead I can clearly see dem sharper and separated.

If it's any consolation, the OP's post is now over 1yr old & counting - meaning teslas's had a good amount of time to dive into it. It'd great if they could show what trials & errors they've had so far ... rather than just changing out bad glass for more bad glass.
:(

When was your delivery? We seem to have established that there's quite a bit of variability in this based on owner sensitivity and differences in the actual product. What is hard to get a grasp on is whether anything is changing for the better as time progresses. Mine looks very similar to the photos posted, and I had a March build.

Mine was built at the beginning of December and delivered Dec. 31

Just had my car in for some service. Ghosting has been on my problem list since the first service visit but this time they took measurements of the windshield with a new tool. I'll infer that this means T is collecting data to be able to fix the problem for certain cars based on tolerances. It doesn't mean they have a fix yet, just cataloging the size of the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Scmbug
Just had my car in for some service. Ghosting has been on my problem list since the first service visit but this time they took measurements of the windshield with a new tool. I'll infer that this means T is collecting data to be able to fix the problem for certain cars based on tolerances. It doesn't mean they have a fix yet, just cataloging the size of the problem.
What kind of measurements? Some kind of laser through the window thing?

Unfortunately, I don't think they are categorizing the problem; it seems they just found a pseudo-scientific way to tell everyone their ghosting windshield is within tolerance. I had my windshield tested with the laser device on Friday and they said....

"We have done the testing of the windshield and it does fall in specifications that Tesla determined. The engineers said there no action needed."

I am sure you many of you have already seen my video, but take a look again and see what they consider falling within specifications:mad:

You are correct: here is the actual text from the service invoice
Measured secondary image separation using factory specified tools and found separation to be within 15 arc-minutes as per UNEC and SAE standards. Note vehicles designed for better aerodynamics have a steeper raking angle which makes secondary image separation more noticeable on these vehicles, however Model X was designed to meet industry standards and testing of customer vehicle confirmed manufacturing quality levels. No further action required.

Well, if this turns out to be the case here in Sweden also, "Within tolerance" I am planning to involve our department of transportation and have an independent control-agent to look in to it.
I really think that something being within a tolerance level and still in real life looking so bad just shows there's something wrong with the regulations around it.
I find myself misreading oncoming traffic quite often, in the distance a car on a downslope, 1 time i though the ghost image above the headlights was another car behind it and the second time i thought it was a motorcycle.
At night very often my mind registers traffic infront of me as trucks with a set of extra taillights at the top, just to discover when i get closer that it was just ghosting images of the taillights of a normal car.
I am quite sure that the Swedish authorities will have something to say about this, within tolerance or not, it's just not ok in my opinion.

Reactions: Scmbug