Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a battery supply question.....The GF makes a ton of 2170 cells, but not enough to satisfy the Model 3 pack demands. How can the Energy company make micro grids, supply Puerto Rico and Emergency Center, and Australia (etc) when there is not (yet) enough cells for the Car company? I understand that the Model S and X were fitted with the 18650 cells, and I presume they still are - so this battery demand does not deplete the GF output. But what about all the rest of the battery demands? How can Panasonic keep up with these projects - and now the GF3 in china?

Australia was supported with cells from Samsung. I think only one of the three Energy cell lines was converted to support the 3 at GF1.

Cell production needs equipment, people, and materials. Equipment is the longest lead item and it sounds like the new machines are coming (one installed and two more this quarterish) and are better than the old ones.

Australia was supported with cells from Samsung. I think only one of the three Energy cell lines was converted to support the 3 at GF1.

Cell production needs equipment, people, and materials. Equipment is the longest lead item and it sounds like the new machines are coming (one installed and two more this quarterish) and are better than the old ones.
Samsung? Do they make 18650 or 2170 cells, or did Australia get a whole new form factor? Can they make enough to fill other grid packages?
I thought all production of batteries at GF1 were 2170, and that the Model 3 was taking all of that capacity. Now you say only 1 of three lines are 2170 M3 cells. What is coming off the other two lines? You are telling me things I did not know and are contradictory to things I was sure I knew. I hope you are right because I might pass along this info.

Samsung? Do they make 18650 or 2170 cells, or did Australia get a whole new form factor? Can they make enough to fill other grid packages?
I thought all production of batteries at GF1 were 2170, and that the Model 3 was taking all of that capacity. Now you say only 1 of three lines are 2170 M3 cells. What is coming off the other two lines? You are telling me things I did not know and are contradictory to things I was sure I knew. I hope you are right because I might pass along this info.

My understanding:
TE is all 2170, Sansung TE cells are 2170. GF1 had 10 cell lines, 7 for the 3, three for TE and one of the TE chemistry lines was switched the support the Model 3.
References:
Cell lines of 10
Panasonic To Speed Up New Battery Production Line Installs At Gigafactory
Samsung for Australia:
Tesla using Samsung cells in South Australia as ‘100 days’ countdown begins
Conversion of line(s) to TE (number of lines may be more than 1):
BREAKING: Panasonic To Increase Gigafactory Cell Production More Than 30% By End Of 2018 | CleanTechnica

Previous test shipment of Samsung cells (18650), possible (but doubtful) they did use smaller form factor to hit delivery (Australia battery has some non-typical capacity numbers).
Elon Musk confirms that Samsung’s battery cells will not be used in Tesla vehicles, Panasonic gets exclusivity [Updated]
Samsung making 2170s:
Tesla’s giant new Powerpack project in Australia will use battery cells made by Samsung

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
There are still people out there scared to death of marijuana. A friend who normally has his head on straight was predicting all sorts of dire things were going to happen from Colorado and Washington's passing of recreational marijuana. There have been a few problems, but they have been minor.

There are probably more people like that in management in the defense industry than in the general population. Though they also have some real concerns. When I was at Boeing they were extremely strict about alcohol on company property. They are a heavy industry company and someone intoxicated on or near a production line can kill people. The airline and military aviation worlds are also very anti-intoxicants for the same reason. That sort of concern fuels a culture of anti-intoxicants in general.

It's also possible that someone who is poised to lose business or has some other political agenda within the aerospace world is trying to use this to discredit Elon and get SpaceX out of the picture.

Realistically if the CEO of an aerospace company gets intoxicated occasionally on his own time, it really shouldn't be anyone elses business. Elon isn't making any of the equipment himself.

predicting all sorts of dire things were going to happen from Colorado and Washington's passing of recreational marijuana.
and the world did not end, unless I missed that.
When I was at Boeing they were extremely strict about alcohol on company property.
That's understandable. Although I'm betting there was liquor in the CEO's cabinet.
It's also possible that someone who is poised to lose business or has some other political agenda within the aerospace world is trying to use this to discredit Elon and get SpaceX out of the picture.
+1
if the CEO of an aerospace company gets intoxicated occasionally on his own time
This was one puff, and probably mostly tobacco. Ridiculous! So, if it's about anything, it's solely about image. Like Nancy Reagan "just say no" bullcrap.

and the world did not end, unless I missed that.

At least here in Washington, something that was a drain on the state's coffers (arresting all the pot smokers) has turned into a big money maker for the state. The state taxes on the stuff are pretty steep, but the stores are still busy.

I'm allergic to THC, so I am not interested in the recreational stuff, but there are a number of CBD products that are quite useful to keep around. It reduces inflammation, and works as a good sleep aid too. We have a friend with fiber mialgia and CBD has worked better for her than anything else she's tried. She's another one who bought into the anti-drug memes and it took her a lot of courage to go to a store. She still won't go without one of us.

When we go to the stores, over half the customers are over 50.

That's understandable. Although I'm betting there was liquor in the CEO's cabinet.

The CEO was way above my pay grade. I have no doubt he probably had some top shelf stuff in a cabinet in his office. I wouldn't know though, the top brass were very remote from the peons. I got to see Bill Clinton while I was there (they taxied Air Force one up to the hanger and he gave a speech). The mayor of Seattle, and governor of Washington were at the event, but the chief of engineering for commercial aircraft was the highest executive I ever even saw.

+1

This was one puff, and probably mostly tobacco. Ridiculous! So, if it's about anything, it's solely about image. Like Nancy Reagan "just say no" bullcrap.

Education about the reality of drugs is very different depending on what circles you travel in and what part of the country you live in. The friend who was predicting doom and gloom about legalizing marijuana lives in Texas. He's politically fairly liberal, but he is retired from the oil business (though he strongly approves of Tesla and plans to get a Model 3) and he's lived in Sugar Land, TX for decades. His wife is very into being the Southern Lady, so his social circle is a mix of progressives and very conservative people. He has picked up a lot of memes about drugs from the culture he lives in.

I've lived most of my life in fairly progressive areas and I've known quite a few people who experimented with a lot of drugs as well as some who got hooked (I can think of three ex-heroine junkies I know off the top of my head). Which ones were really bad news and which ones were not that harmful kind of permeated into my consciousness without really trying. Not that I am all that interested in any of them, the one time I tried marijuana I was violently ill for 6 hours and hungover for another 24 and I generally don't like the feeling of being intoxicated on anything.

Different people saw Elon smoke that joint and saw very different things. Some saw Refer Madness in the flesh and others saw a guy puffing a joint with no more negativity attached than if he was drinking a beer.

Interesting statement from a CEO... Tesla was within weeks of dying because of Model 3 delays, says Elon Musk

During an interview with Axios On HBO, Musk said: “Tesla faced a severe threat of death due to the Model 3 production ramp. Essentially, the company was bleeding money like crazy and if we didn’t solve these problems over a short period of time we would die. It was extremely difficult.” He added that they were “within single digit weeks” from going under.

Here’s the clip from the interview: Axios on Twitter

I saw that interview. I didn't know they were that close to the edge. I'm glad they pulled it out.

I did say before the Model 3 hit the streets that there were two scenarios for Tesla failing, one was some major economic downturn and the other was a big screw-up on Tesla's part.

Elon Musk interview scheduled for 60 Minutes this Sunday, 12/9/18:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk on smoking pot, impulsive tweets
...in which EM whipped up a story that must have felt true about the purchasing of "Tesla Motors" as a company name from some random guy in Sacramento, but the story is mostly BS. Sacramento guy did have "Tesla.com" up for sale, but "Tesla Motors" was already successfully registered and incorporated by then. "Faraday" played no role whatsoever, even if Mr. Musk recalls it that way.
Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.