Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are such low use and just collect dust because nobody wants/needs them, why are they seemingly always out of stock on the website?
One reason would be that they include one with every vehicle, and they're at a run rate of 2 million cars per year, and there are supply shortages.

This is the very point of the decision. They don't have enough to sell extras on the website, and they know things we don't. They're likely already aware that they're going to run out of them for newly built vehicles at some point in the near future.

They've already had to ship cars without functioning USB ports due to supply shortages. They didn't say "we're going to make USB ports optional", because that's silly.

However, there are many, many people who... when posed with a $200 price tag will simply opt out. It's "thinning the heard" of mobile connector demand. It's basic economics.

This is the very point of the decision. They don't have enough to sell extras on the website, and they know things we don't. They're likely already aware that they're going to run out of them for newly built vehicles at some point in the near future.

So then SAY THAT. Don’t make up some obvious bullshit excuse that doesn’t stand up to even basic scrutiny.

It’s that simple.

I actually find it rather frustrating that there are so many people here who don't understand this simple concept.

People might not be understanding it because you’ve more or less invented it and passed it off as an excuse for the consumer-hostile change that was just made.

Tesla knows they muffed up as the carnival barker in chief is already partially walking it back. Why are we inventing excuses to defend them?

Fair enough. If they completely run out of mobile connectors though, would it be better to give every buyer an IOU?

That is probably better than Plan A, which was “make flimsy excuse about why you really don’t need/want this thing and then just stop including it.”

I’m all for giving people the choice and helping them make an informed decision up front. But to do that, you have to be transparent about your intentions and make it easy for people to self select if they want one when they buy a car - and then deliver it to them based on that selection.

I feel like this is what Tesla/Elon SHOULD have done instead of this whole trying to be slick, removing verbiage from the website, screwing over current orders, vague responses on twitter without further clarification.

Hey all, due to supply shortages we are having trouble making enough mobile connectors to supply one with every new vehicle. Because of this, all new vehicle orders moving forward will not have the mobile connector included as standard. There will be an option during vehicle configuration to add the mobile connector for $200 should you want one. Existing orders not delivered yet will still have the mobile connector included, but may experience a delay in delivery due to the shortage. You may choose to give up the mobile connector for a $200 credit and may receive your vehicle sooner.​

I don’t think anyone would be up in arms if that was what happened. But instead we have this giant mess.

Which ones are advertising and supportive of Tesla no longer including the mobile connector, saying I shouldn't get the one that was clearly stated to be included when I place my order over 8 months ago because they don't use theirs?
You SHOULD get one if it stated that at time of order. No argument from me on that.

I bet lot of people leave them in the car for emergencies. This would look like low usage but would not necessarily translate to people not needing/wanting them. They're jumping to conclusions as to why usage is low.

They're saying people don't need them because they use Wall Connector instead. So reduce the cost of that by the cost of Mobile Connector.
People should look for rebates with their power companies. Mine offers up to 500 for a wall charger but NOT a Tesla one.

You SHOULD get one if it stated that at time of order. No argument from me on that.
"Specifications and accessories are subject to change" is always a standard phrase in any new vehicle contract. When people who ordered last year only got half a steering wheel, the mileage figures go up or down, passenger seat lumbar support no longer available, tires and wheels change,
different headlights, tailights and rear body style --these are all examples of Tesla things changing after ordering and before delivery. You can always cancel your order.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I honestly don't think it's a cash grab they could easily make more money at anytime by just raising the price and everyone would still happily buy the car.
With the demand and queue times now you have to believe they're trying to come up with ways to get peoples orders filled faster so they're looking at all the ways to get cars out the door. Everything isn't some evil plot to steal your money.

And I'm one of those people who would buy the charger 100% even though I don't use it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I feel like this is what Tesla/Elon SHOULD have done instead of this whole trying to be slick, removing verbiage from the website, screwing over current orders, vague responses on twitter without further clarification.
This. The idea of the change being made based on parts availability makes sense but that's not their stated reason. Are we supposed to second guess the reason? Why would they take this PR hit if the real reason is more palatable?

Regardless of the reason charging for MC is not the only way to modulate demand. Rent them for free or a token amount from service centers (I believe they should do this anyway). Offer a buyback/recycling program. Slash the cost of Wall Connector. Partner with another brand of charger and offer a coupon and adapter. Or simply explain why people should please choose not to get one if they don't need it.

It just seems like they took the easy, yet poor optics, route regardless of the real reason.

For the record I'm not actually against this move because it's good for the environment, I just find the way it's being handled puzzling.

Last edited:

Hey all, due to supply shortages we are having trouble making enough mobile connectors to supply one with every new vehicle. Because of this, all new vehicle orders moving forward will not have the mobile connector included as standard. There will be an option during vehicle configuration to add the mobile connector for $200 should you want one. Existing orders not delivered yet will still have the mobile connector included, but may experience a delay in delivery due to the shortage. You may choose to give up the mobile connector for a $200 credit and may receive your vehicle sooner.​

I don’t think anyone would be up in arms if that was what happened. But instead we have this giant mess.
Yes. And THIS is an example of why Tesla needs a PR person to handle corporate comms. Not Elon. He’s HORRIBLE at communications.

Well said. Exactly this.

(I don't yet have enough posts to be able to like your post, or I would have done that instead.)

Reactions: 2101Guy