Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not really sure where to put this as it could go in a few different threads. Please feel free to move if needed.

1643303286305.png

This was a slide from Autonomy Day, 2019. I want to focus on the miles....16mph x 16 hours / day or ~112 hours per week (let's ignore the logic that the demand for robotaxis is not constant for 24 hours/day, the vehicle will need time to charge, etc.).

Let's go to the latest Earnings Call (from yesterday):

Yes. I think basically everything pales in comparison to the value of robotaxi or personal driving. I mean, it's just -- I mean, that just tends to warm everything. You just go from having an asset that is -- has a utility of perhaps 12 hours a week per passenger car to maybe around 50 or 60 hours a week to a 5x increase in the utility of the asset. The cost didn't change. Yes. So, that's where just things just we had -- just kind of where’s your mind.

Did Elon just *HALVE* the projected "utility hours" of a Tesla robotaxi or am I misunderstanding?

Additionally...
But I think anyone who's been in the FSD beta program, I mean, if they were just to plot the progress of the beta interventions per mile, it's obviously trending to a very small number of interventions per mile and pace of improvement is fast.
If you assume that with no driver, an intervention or disengagement results in a crash....at ~10,000 miles per disengagement every single car in the fleet is crashing about once/year at "normal" 10k miles/year drive time. If Tesla is anticipating a robotaxi will drive more like 90k-100k miles...at 90k miles per disengagement that's still one crash per vehicle in the fleet per year. That's not remotely insurable. And Elon is touting "a very small number of interventions per mile" as good progress and evidence that level 4 FSD is close (this year). I mean, come on. Just do some math. On average, there is one vehicle crash in the U.S. for every ~530k miles (6m vehicle crashes per year, 3.2 trillion vehicle miles traveled).

Level 4 does still allow for human override as an option, but does someone want to explain how a robotaxi network would work where a person has to sit in the driver seat to intervene? Who's assuming the risk in that scenario? Would Tesla even roll out robotaxis where a rider has to constantly monitor the vehicle?

Last edited:
If you assume that with no driver, an intervention or disengagement results in a crash....at ~10,000 miles per disengagement every single car in the fleet is crashing about once/year at "normal" 10k miles/year drive time. If Tesla is anticipating a robotaxi will drive more like 90k-100k miles...at 90k miles per disengagement that's still one crash per vehicle in the fleet per year. That's not remotely insurable. And Elon is touting "a very small number of interventions per mile" as good progress and evidence that level 4 FSD is close (this year). I mean, come on. Just do some math.
Disengagement numbers are only loosely related to the collision rate. For example in Waymo's autonomous testing they found that 99.9% of their disengagements would not have resulted in a collision had they not occurred (https://storage.googleapis.com/sdc-...Waymo-Public-Road-Safety-Performance-Data.pdf). You have to go back and simulate what would have happened.
Say you're running FSD Beta and the car swerves into oncoming traffic. There's a good chance that the other vehicle will swerve to avoid you or that they'll be able to stop in time. :p Or maybe FSD Beta would have swerved back had you not intervened?
Of course there is zero chance that Tesla achieves human performance this year (1 severe collision (>12mph) per 2 million miles or so according to their safety report).
Level 4 does still allow for human override as an option, but does someone want to explain how a robotaxi network would work where a person has to sit in the driver seat to intervene? Who's assuming the risk in that scenario? Would Tesla even roll out robotaxis where a rider has to constantly monitor the vehicle?
Obviously the manufacturer of the system will be responsible if the collision is caused by a fault in the system. A robotaxi can't required a driver!

Reactions: DarkandStormy
Did Elon just *HALVE* the projected "utility hours" of a Tesla robotaxi or am I misunderstanding?

Over-reading might be more accurate than misunderstanding.

he just tossed out a number off the cuff to point out one RT would in terms of driving hours replace many human driven cars. Actual # of hours will vary modified by a bunch of factors.

Assuming owner doesn't need it for personal use, and demand were always there, that'd be more than either the 12 Elon cited or the 16 on the slide you mention- nearer 20 most likely if there's a supercharger in the area.

But some owners WILL want it for personal use some of the time...and some owners will live someplace demand isn't always 24/7, or a supercharger is less proximate at the moment- so they'd be running less than 20- how much less will vary.

After a certain point the difference isn't all that important for most discussion.... but obviously it could run for however many hours the owner wishes, modified by the demand in their specific area, minus time spent charging.

I'm not really sure where to put this as it could go in a few different threads. Please feel free to move if needed.

View attachment 760933

This was a slide from Autonomy Day, 2019. I want to focus on the miles....16mph x 16 hours / day or ~112 hours per week (let's ignore the logic that the demand for robotaxis is not constant for 24 hours/day, the vehicle will need time to charge, etc.).

Let's go to the latest Earnings Call (from yesterday):

Additionally...

If you assume that with no driver, an intervention or disengagement results in a crash....at ~10,000 miles per disengagement every single car in the fleet is crashing about once/year at "normal" 10k miles/year drive time. If Tesla is anticipating a robotaxi will drive more like 90k-100k miles...at 90k miles per disengagement that's still one crash per vehicle in the fleet per year. That's not remotely insurable. And Elon is touting "a very small number of interventions per mile" as good progress and evidence that level 4 FSD is close (this year). I mean, come on. Just do some math. On average, there is one vehicle crash in the U.S. for every ~530k miles (6m vehicle crashes per year, 3.2 trillion vehicle miles traveled).

Level 4 allows for a driver to disengage, but Level 4 cannot require a driver to be in the driver's seat and alert. Level 4 must be capable of bringing the car to a safe stop in a safe place any time it cannot handle a situation by itself. A robotaxi must be able to operate entirely without a driver. It can be geofenced and therefore need not be Level 5, but within its area it cannot require a driver. Otherwise it's not a robotaxi: It's just a ride-share with driver-assist features.

By definition, a car that requires a driver to make the decision to disengage is Level 2 or lower.

Elon is just being Elon, promising Level 4 "real soon now" when in fact the technology for wide-area, non-geofenced Level 4 is years away.

Not every driver-initiated disengagement would have resulted in a crash. When I'm using EAP I disengage very pro-actively any time I'm not entirely confident of the car's ability to stay safe. Some of those times the car would probably do just fine. So the driver-initiated disengagement rate is not what the crash rate would be. But the numbers are still way far away from ready for L4.

That said, I do not believe Tesla will initiate Level 4 before it is safer than human. Or to put it another way: Elon's proclamations are total bull, but Tesla is, I believe, fully committed to safety.

Here is a great summary of what Elon has communicated about the FSD timeline.

Full copy below for archival
  • September 2014
    They will be a factor of 10 safer than a person [at the wheel] in a six-year time frame
    Source
  • December 2015
    We're going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years.
    Source
  • January 2016
    In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY
    Source
  • June 2016
    I really consider autonomous driving a solved problem, I think we are less than two years away from complete autonomy, safer than humans, but regulations should take at least another year
    Source
  • October 2016
    By the end of next year, said Musk, Tesla would demonstrate a fully autonomous drive from, say, a home in L.A., to Times Square ... without the need for a single touch, including the charging.
    Source
  • January 2017
    At what point will Full Self-Driving Capability features noticeably depart from? - Elon: 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely
    Source
  • March 2017
    I think that [you will be able to fall asleep in a Tesla] is about two years
    Source
  • May 2017
    Update on the coast to coast autopilot demo? - Still on for end of year. Just software limited. Any Tesla car with HW2 (all cars built since Oct last year) will be able to do this.
    Source
  • March 2018
    I think probably by end of next year [end of 2019] self-driving will encompass essentially all modes of driving and be at least 100% to 200% safer than a person.
    Source
  • November 2018
    Probably technically be able to [self deliver Teslas to customers doors] in about a year then its up to the regulators
    Source
  • January 2019
    We need to be at 99.9999..% We need to be extremely reliable. When do we think it is safe for FSD, probably towards the end of this year then its up to the regulators when they will decide to approve that.
    Source
  • February 2019
    We will be feature complete full self driving this year. The car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention this year. I'm certain of that. That is not a question mark. It will be essentially safe to fall asleep and wake up at their destination towards the end of next year
    Source
  • April 2019
    I think it will require detecting hands on wheel for at least six months.... I think this was all really going to be swept, I mean, the system is improving so much, so fast, that this is going to be a moot point very soon. No, in fact, I think it will become very, very quickly, maybe and towards the end this year, but I say, I'd be shocked if not next year, at the latest that having the person, having human intervene will decrease safety. DECREASE! (in response to human supervision and adding driver monitoring system)
    Source
  • April 2019
    We expect to be feature complete in self driving this year, and we expect to be confident enough from our standpoint to say that we think people do not need to touch the wheel and can look out the window sometime probably around the second quarter of next year.
    Source
  • May 2019
    We could have gamed an LA/NY Autopilot journey last year, but when we do it this year, everyone with Tesla Full Self-Driving will be able to do it too
    Source
  • April 2020
    Robotaxis release/deployment... Functionality still looking good for this year. Regulatory approval is the big unknown
    Source
  • April 2020
    we could see robotaxis in operation with the network fleet next year, not in all markets but in some.
    Source
  • July 2020
    I am extremely confident that level five or essentially complete autonomy will happen, and I think, will happen very quickly, I think at Tesla, I feel like we are very close to level five autonomy. I think—I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for level five autonomy complete this year, There are no fundamental challenges remaining. There are many small problems. And then there's the challenge of solving all those small problems and putting the whole system together.
    Source
  • October 2020
    FSD beta rollout happening tonight. Will be extremely slow & cautious, as it should.
    Source
  • December 2020
    I am extremely confident of achieving full autonomy and releasing it to the Tesla customer base next year. But I think at least some jurisdictions are going to allow full self-driving next year.
    Source
  • December 2020
    I'm extremely confident that Tesla will have level five next year, extremely confident, 100%
    Source
  • January 2021
    Tesla Full Self-Driving will work at a safety level well above that of the average driver this year, of that I am confident. Can’t speak for regulators though.
    Source
  • January 2021
    FSD will be capable of Level 5 autonomy by the end of 2021
    Source
  • March 2021
    Due to high levels of demand for FSD Beta, adding “Download Beta” button to Service section of car display in ~10 days
    Source
  • March 2021
    Build 8.3 of FSD should be done QA testing by end of next week, so that’s roughly when download button should show up
    Source
  • March 2021
    Next significant release will be in April. Going with pure vision — not even using radar. This is the way to real-world AI.
    Source
  • April 2021
    Button timing of May is aspirational. Depends on how well limited beta of V9.0 goes, but I would be surprised if wide beta (aka button) is later than June. FSD subscription next month is a sure thing.
    Source
  • April 2021
    Any wisdom on limited v9 fsd beta release ? - Probably two weeks
    Source

Updates from the original source since:
  • April 2021
    Gating factor is achieving & proving higher safety with pure vision than with vision+radar. We are almost there. FSD Beta V9.0 will blow your mind.
    Source
  • April 2021
    True. Anyone paying attention to the rate of improvement will realize that Tesla Autopilot/FSD is already superhuman for highway driving & swiftly getting there for city streets.
    Source
  • May 2021
    We had to focus on removing radar & confirming safety. That release goes out next week to US production. Then a week or two to polish pure vision FSD & v9 beta will release. Difference between v8 & v9 is gigantic.
    Source
  • May 2021
    I think we’re maybe a month or two away from wide beta. But these things are hard to predict accurately. The work we had to do for pure vision driving was needed for FSD, so much more progress has been made than it would seem.
    Source
  • May 2021
    Pure vision Autopilot is now rolling out in North America. There will be an update of this production release in 2 weeks, then FSD beta V9.0 (also pure vision) a week later. FSD subscription will be enabled around the same time.
    Source
  • January 2022
    I will be shocked if we don't achieve FSD safer than a human this year
    Source

• April 2021
    Gating factor is achieving & proving higher safety with pure vision than with vision+radar. We are almost there. FSD Beta V9.0 will blow your mind.
    Source
  • April 2021
    True. Anyone paying attention to the rate of improvement will realize that Tesla Autopilot/FSD is already superhuman for highway driving & swiftly getting there for city streets.
    Source
  • May 2021
    We had to focus on removing radar & confirming safety. That release goes out next week to US production. Then a week or two to polish pure vision FSD & v9 beta will release. Difference between v8 & v9 is gigantic.
    Source
  • May 2021
    I think we’re maybe a month or two away from wide beta. But these things are hard to predict accurately. The work we had to do for pure vision driving was needed for FSD, so much more progress has been made than it would seem.
    Source
  • May 2021
    Pure vision Autopilot is now rolling out in North America. There will be an update of this production release in 2 weeks, then FSD beta V9.0 (also pure vision) a week later. FSD subscription will be enabled around the same time.
    Source
  • January 2022
    Source
Indeed, Elon talks nonsense when it comes to timelines .. this is hardly news. Oh, and politicians lie as well. And that frozen food pie? Doesnt look anything like the picture on the box.

The point is, what Elon says about timelines is garbage .. but at the end of the day, he does seem to inspire people to deliver. Tesla DID put EVs on the map, and in a huge way. SpaceX DOES regularly land and re-use rockets. And Tesla IS in the process of putting ADAS cars in the hands of anyone who can afford them. Notice anything here? First, they are all things people "in the know" scoffed at and said were BS, and they are all HARD problems, in the sense no-one has ever done anything like it before, or even knew it could be done.

Personally I think Elon is a pretty awful guy, but he does push people to get "impossible" things done, even if takes way longer than his eternal optimism predicts.

Indeed, Elon talks nonsense when it comes to timelines .. this is hardly news. Oh, and politicians lie as well. And that frozen food pie? Doesnt look anything like the picture on the box.

The point is, what Elon says about timelines is garbage .. but at the end of the day, he does seem to inspire people to deliver. Tesla DID put EVs on the map, and in a huge way. SpaceX DOES regularly land and re-use rockets. And Tesla IS in the process of putting ADAS cars in the hands of anyone who can afford them. Notice anything here? First, they are all things people "in the know" scoffed at and said were BS, and they are all HARD problems, in the sense no-one has ever done anything like it before, or even knew it could be done.

Personally I think Elon is a pretty awful guy, but he does push people to get "impossible" things done, even if takes way longer than his eternal optimism predicts.
Very well said!

• April 2021
    Source
  • April 2021
    Source
  • May 2021
    Source
  • May 2021
    Source
  • May 2021
    Source
  • January 2022
    Source
Can you include the transition from "Autopilot" to "Full Self Driving", which I think happened in late 2019?

What is that?
It’s in the Washington Post article, it happened in April 2019:

“In April 2019, at a showcase dubbed “Autonomy Investor Day,” Musk made perhaps his boldest prediction as Tesla’s chief executive. “By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware,” Musk told a roomful of investors. The software updates automatically over the air, and Full Self-Driving would be so reliable, he said, the driver “could go to sleep.”
Investors were sold. The following year, Tesla’s stock price soared, making it the most valuable automaker and helping Musk become the world’s richest person. Full Self-Driving followed Autopilot, which was launched in 2014 and went on to allow cars to navigate highways, from steering and changing lanes to adjusting speed. Full Self-Driving aimed to bring those capabilities to city and residential streets, a far more difficult task.”

When I bought my 2018 Model 3, Tesla said it had all the necessary hardware for full self-driving, which would allow it to operate as a robotaxi (to distinguish from merely "can mostly drive itself while you monitor your car with your hands on the wheel) once the software was available. Turned out it didn't. I think there were two significant hardware updates that would need to be applied to run current "FSD" software on my car, and that is still nowhere near robotaxi-capable.

I'll eat my hat if the Teslas being sold today, with today's hardware, are ever capable of operating as robotaxis.

Of course, I don't think Tesla is making that promise for new Teslas being sold today. Now "FSD" just means that you can drive it in the city and you won't have to intervene very often. Though I would hate to be anywhere near when someone tries to operate "FSD" on South Kihei Road, which is the only road that runs the length of Kihei, other than the highway.

Tesla still has no idea what hardware will be needed to run the as-yet unfinished software.