Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Tesla sent us that statement after we published our piece. It's official.

Regarding the original email, unfortunately, I think it could have been more clear that the "discount" was on inventory/used cars, not brand new ones. I'm not blaming the guy who sent it — don't know exactly who drafted and approved the email — but I think everyone at Tesla should be cautious how they communicate about these inventory/used options.

Right. Because you have no responsibility to verify information directly from the source if there might be any confusion or ambiguity before you publish an article. :rolleyes: Plenty of blame to go around.

The email that was sent is very misleading. Even the recipients that know Tesla were speculating this is on new vehicles.
The information many people seem to be basing their opinions on hearing it from " a friend that knows" the sales rep.

Even IF the rep was authorized, we don't know what that means. Did his manager tell him to notify customers on the mailing list of the discounts on some inventory vehicles? Or did the manager actually read the email before sending it? I expect he didn't have approval, but if he did, it was the email wasn't reviewed.

I also don't know that this was the only reason for the dismissal, it may simply be one of many.

firing is really a bit too harsh. Why can't Tesla just say that the email is incorrect and the employee responsible has been disciplined?
Actions have consequences.

While @AmpedRealtor was the one to post the private e-mail, if he hadn't done it someone else here probably would have because that's what people do here. And the more of a secret it's suppose to be, the more proud people are to reveal it publicly. They do this without ever thinking of the consequences.

Obviously there are at least 10 (maybe more before I post this) people who think your post is harsh, inaccurate, overstated etc all... but the fact remains if @AmpedRealtor doesn't publicly post the private e-mail the guy may still have a job as the sequence of events may unfold entirely differently. Or not. We'll never know because we rarely get do overs.

Actions have consequences. Always. And sometimes far reaching.

I've followed AmpedRealtor on TMC for several years. He is just about as good an a owner you could want and a huge advocate for Tesla. His *only* motivation for posting that email, was to help get more people behind the wheel of a Tesla and further Tesla's mission statement.

... if he hadn't done it someone else here probably would have because that's what people do here. And the more of a secret it's suppose to be, the more proud people are to reveal it publicly. They do this without ever thinking of the consequences.
I completely agree that people rush to share info here, not thinking of consequences.

Simple rule of thumb that I follow: Before posting communication from an individual at any company (not just Tesla), I get permission to share publicly. And I always remove the name and contact info. If someone wants to get in touch with that person after I post it, I'll forward the message. It's up to the recipient if they want to share their contact info.

We still don't know that it was the email that got the guy fired. We don't know if there were other issues that caused his firing. So much we don't know.

Edit: I will say that if he got *creative* with how inventory cars were being priced on his own and sent that out, yeah, I'd probably fire him if there had been other issues. Huge warning if there had not been other issues.

There is no way a '$30k discount!!!' wouldn't be picked up and amplified. Sending out a letter saying 'we have some really great showroom and loaner cars with substantial discounts' is vastly different than what was sent out. And the $30K off approach smacks of used car salesman tactics.

Last edited:
My opinion is that the message was very misleading and action should be taken. These are not new cars. They are demo cars or refused cars. We all have read those threads about cars getting rejected because of minor paint defects, etc. Well, they don't just melt those down and start over.

- In the other thread some were saying how horrible it is for current owners to be discounting new cars (they aren't exactly new).

- Last time around, some were saying "if Elon is serious, someone should be fired".

Is firing appropriate? Not sure. None of us know if there is anymore to the story, or if they already had a first/second warning.

Reactions: anonim1979
I think it's time for a more mature CEO. This smacks of complete immaturity and poor management. EM can run his mouth all day without recourse but his front line sales team makes a mistake and he smokes them. Must feel good to be the King. I hope the board smokes him the same way when he misses his numbers due to the draconian treatment of his revenue generation team.
Come on treat your front line team better than that.

I think it's time for a more mature CEO. This smacks of complete immaturity and poor management. EM can run his mouth all day without recourse but his front line sales team makes a mistake and he smokes them. Must feel good to be the King. I hope the board smokes him the same way when he misses his numbers due to the draconian treatment of his revenue generation team.
Come on treat your front line team better than that.
I once complained about Amazon using a refrigerator box when they shipped me a single 9V battery. The rest of the space was taken up by Air-Paks. The guy got fired. &#%$ Bezos!

/s

My opinion is that the message was very misleading and action should be taken. These are not new cars. They are demo cars or refused cars. We all have read those threads about cars getting rejected because of minor paint defects, etc.

I'm not sure why it was misleading. The email was to existing owners who are in the know and started off with "showroom" incentives:

We are offering showroom incentives up to $30,000 off the original configuration price

Didn't say new, custom builds, etc.

Also I don't know why folks are blaming @AmpedRealtor. Again these discounts are not a secret. He was probably just trying to help sales for both Aaron and TSLA. He is the moderator of our AZ Tesla FB group. We all have an interest seeing TSLA succeed.

Last edited:
We obviously don't know any other missteps that the employee may have made that could've contributed to this but, looking at his wording from the email, yes, it was misleading in that it implied that any P100D car in the showroom (and by extension, new inventory and custom orders) would be discounted.

Is this alone grounds for dismissal rather than some strong rap on the knuckles? IMO, absolutely not. I wouldn't want to work for such a heartless company.

Reactions: GSP and daktari
Typical for TMC, there are lots of assumptions and speculations in this thread. We will never know the reason(s) why Tesla decided to 'separate' the former employee. Tesla is bound by non-disclosure labor law for separation and the former employee has a right to privacy. If the former employee decides to state his interpretations of the reasons publicly, then Tesla will have the legal right to respond. Jumping to conclusions is inappropriate on this forum or anywhere at this time.