Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption On Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Averaged between 220-230 Wh/mi. The battery range indicator was spot on. Aero wheels.
I posted a couple of months ago that I thought I could coax 225 wh/mi with aero covers and conservative driving. I am a speed limit driver, usually 65mph. I think that means more than 240 miles all empty for the SR model, maybe 175 miles real world. I will be mighty pleased! However, this SR will be the torquiest car I have ever owned (and I have owned some light weight street rods with 327 small blocks in them) and I think I may have trouble keeping my foot out of it, especially when I'm abreast of a Vette at the stoplight! The ignominy of being bested by a four door sedan with grandkids in the backseat ;)

Did 120 mile round trip yesterday on Highway 1 from Aptos to north of Half Moon Bay (a pretty flat stretch of earth). Speed mostly 60-70 except the last bit of highway 1 where it was probably 75. Outside temp 60-65F. Averaged between 220-230 Wh/mi. The battery range indicator was spot on. Aero wheels.
Wow! That's efficient. I think we're scheduled for delivery in a week or two so I'll be interested to see. We have a X90D so the efficiency numbers will obviously vary greatly.

I posted a couple of months ago that I thought I could coax 225 wh/mi with aero covers and conservative driving. I am a speed limit driver, usually 65mph. I think that means more than 240 miles all empty for the SR model, maybe 175 miles real world. I will be mighty pleased! However, this SR will be the torquiest car I have ever owned (and I have owned some light weight street rods with 327 small blocks in them) and I think I may have trouble keeping my foot out of it, especially when I'm abreast of a Vette at the stoplight! The ignominy of being bested by a four door sedan with grandkids in the backseat ;)

If you think you're going to take on an even relatively modern Corvette in a straight line race and win in a Model 3 SR, you're going to be sorely disappointed if the Corvette driver is actually participating in the encounter. :D Even a base Corvette from 2008 is capable of low-to-mid 4s to 60.

Still gonna lose. 2.4 in the '08 Corvette. 2.9 in the 3 LR.
Don't have any experience with the vette, but how easy is it to reliability hit it's potential without being slowed down by TCS (if enabled) or wheelspin (if disabled). Often the 0-60 times require skill to accomplish and I don't know if the vettes are in this category.... On the other hand, EV TCS is untaxing and bone simple.

Don't have any experience with the vette, but how easy is it to reliability hit it's potential without being slowed down by TCS (if enabled) or wheelspin (if disabled). Often the 0-60 times require skill to accomplish and I don't know if the vettes are in this category.... On the other hand, EV TCS is untaxing and bone simple.

I don't have a *ton* of experience going HAM with a Corvette, but the two I've driven (a 2012-ish base model and a 2015-ish Z06) made me feel that the assists were pretty well tuned to let you be childish and get good performance without letting it get out of hand. The Z06 was a manual and the base model was an automatic.

That said, my '05 Cadillac XLR is built on the C5 platform and the safety assists are… aggravating. Not sure when they got better, but the traction control is incredibly disruptive when it kicks in.

Don't meant to sound sarcastic but 400kwh of power is about $100-150. Why do so many of us get stuck with this issue?

I actually would rather Tesla have a high pay-per-use rate for all Tesla's including the pre-change vehicles. (Including myself) For 2 simple reasons.
  1. TSLA will need the capital to improve the coverage and capacity of the Supercharging network.
  2. There are really a lot of locals using the "free" SC as their primary power source and it completely defeats the goal of enabling long distance travel via SC and day-to-day with in-home charging. It is really frustrating to have to charge up to continue on a trip with all SC stalls filled up with locals who just want free "gas".
Off my soapbox now. :)

The recent blog post said (my holding): "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually...".

Since currently Tesla only makes two models, the S and the X, that wording indicates that the announced change includes both models. I do not see the words "all Teslas" in that blog post.

It does not rule out the possibility that the Model 3 will have some alternative plan, nor does it rule out changes to the plan in the future.

It seems likely that the recent change will apply to the Model 3 also, but it is my belief that the Model 3 may also offer another Supercharging plan where all Supercharging will be charged on a pay-per-use basis.

Tesla has to figure out how to attract buyers who have no possibility of getting home or work charging. Offering them a low cost Supercharging plan where they pay every time they charge may be one way to do that. The charge cost per kWh could be less than the alternative which is the soon to be implemented 400kWh/year free Supercharging and then pay-per-use over that.

I am simply offering that as a possibility because I do not think that the recent statement from Tesla has ruled it out.