Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone help, I have car set to start charging at 11:30pm but allow Octopus intelligent to override - just looked at car through Tesla app at 11:10am and noticed battery was warming and charging. Octopus schedule was set to charge at 11:30pm and so was Tesla app - So how come it started earlier and will I be charged peak rate. if it helps battery was at 78 /79% charge limit was 80% on Tesla app and 90% on octopus and outside temp minus 4 ?
If it helps any, the routine I adopt is to set the charge required in the Octopus app, then plug the car in and after a minute or two stop the car charging at that point with the Tesla app and then leave it alone. Charging schedule usually follows pretty quickly and charging on schedule starts again when it should.

The house battery aspects raised a bit of an issue for me when I first started using IO a couple of weeks ago.

Like many, I was delighted to see my car (and the rest of the house) getting the benefit of off peak charging at times outside of the core 11.30 to 05.30. What I didn't appreciate however, was that charging the car between 06.00 - 06.30 and 07.00 - 07.30 would pretty much empty the house battery, rather than draw all the power needed from the mains. The upshot being that for the rest of the day the house battery was more or less spent so everything else ran from mains at peak rate. Bugger.

My solution is to set my house battery charging period to 00.00 - 05.30 (it never needs that long, but setting it to 'charge' to 05.30 stops it supplying power to the house until 05.30) and setting a 'leaving' time on the Octopus app of 05.30. This means I miss out on the out of hours charging, but it makes sure each day starts with the house battery at around 100%.

Unfortunately my set up doesn't allow me to do anything more sophisticated and I will need to re-think how I do this in the spring when the solar panels start contributing a bit more, but this set up seems ok so far.
Raspberry Pi / Home Assistant might be able to help - assuming your inverter is supported.

It would allow you tie together the Octopus IO API and the car charging state to work out whether to inhibit inverter discharge.

Well, I am almost there. They finally managed to get readings from my smart meters (although I can't see this in their app).

I went through the sign-up process, e.g. added my Tesla accounts details, and now I am about to do the test charge.

How will this work? Once I connect the charger the car will start charging, is this ok? Or I should connect and stop charging from Tesla app?

Thanks all, almost there...

How will this work? Once I connect the charger the car will start charging, is this ok? Or I should connect and stop charging from Tesla app?

If working correctly IO will start your car charging, detect it's charging and stop it charging, and that's it then, you're on IO (though the site takes a while to update, ie midday the next day). Try and steer clear of the tesla app when it's doing it's thing, though clearly if it's still charging and IO says it failed, or you've waited 30 mins and nothing is happening, yes, stop it then.

Reactions: giorgosa
Well, I am almost there. They finally managed to get readings from my smart meters (although I can't see this in their app).

I went through the sign-up process, e.g. added my Tesla accounts details, and now I am about to do the test charge.

I would get into the habit of stopping from the Tesla app after you plug in. Waiting for IO to stop the charge in peak time is very hit and miss at the moment. 30 minutes of peak time charging will cost you about £2. I'd rather just push a button and be sure.

I would get into the habit of stopping from the Tesla app after you plug in. Waiting for IO to stop the charge in peak time is very hit and miss at the moment. 30 minutes of peak time charging will cost you about £2. I'd rather just push a button and be sure.
Thanks, but I speak about the test charging which won't be in the IO tariff anyway. I think it is for checking location and for ensuring that IO can start/stop the car and once this is confirmed then you move to IO tariff.

Always leave the initial IO set-up test charge to stop by its own accord even if it takes a while.

Thereafter, once switched to IO feel free to stop the charge on plug-in after a few seconds (my routine is to wait until the Tesla app ramps up to the full 7kWh, maybe 10-15 secs then press stop)

If it helps any, the routine I adopt is to set the charge required in the Octopus app, then plug the car in and after a minute or two stop the car charging at that point with the Tesla app and then leave it alone. Charging schedule usually follows pretty quickly and charging on schedule starts again when it should.
thanks as that how I used to charge car, setting the car schedule to 11:30pm helped me avoid all the times I would forget to stop the car charging - just strange that last night it decided to charge earlier, all I can think off was the temp be so low, 4 degrees C !

Two attempts to test failed so far, doing a third and last one now.

Can’t understand why. For the first two car was charging at 7Kw once i started the test. Now I stopped the charge from tesla app and attempt the charge from Octopus app….
I think you got unlucky trying to do your test charge tonight. The app appears to be down for a lot of people, me included. No IO functions showing up at all. Account page also not showing tariffs, so likely to be some back end problem.

Reactions: Cardo and giorgosa
I think you got unlucky trying to do your test charge tonight. The app appears to be down for a lot of people, me included. No IO functions showing up at all. Account page also not showing tariffs, so likely to be some back end problem.
Well, got lucky in the last one, the one that I started the test with car not charging.

It completed successfully, so officially on the IO

:)

Disconnected the charger now as I am over 85% but will charge properly tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks all for the help and see you around :)

Reactions: Durzel and browellm