Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Ultra High Fidelity Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with the extra $$$ for the upgraded sound system, the Model X still won't resume playing a track from my USB thumb drive when I turn the car back on. Sure I can see the most recent things played, but if I'm trying to listen to all of my Led Zeppelin albums in a row, it's a real pain every time I turn the car on to have to navigate back to the USB>Artist>Albums>All Songs, then remember the last song that was playing, find it, and then select it.

Tesla's implementation of USB (and Bluetooth!) from thumb drives to iPhones is an embarrassment.
Blame the Linux devs...

• Funny
Reactions: ssq
Great review to start this thread.

I'm a guitarist & drummer, and listen to Satriani & Santana a lot. Very happy with UHFS w/wo driving, it rocks. No rattles at high volumes in mine.

I put all my apple music on a flash drive and don't bother with iPhone bluetooth connection except for calls.

Nice, thank you!

May ask, does this need to be plugged into the same USB port that the dock uses? Or can you stick this somewhere else and still be able to use the phone charger?
Good question. I just tried it and my Lexar 64GB USB3 button stick only works in either of the front two USB ports.

I tested the ports just now.

Front two USB ports. USB drive recognized and plays music.
Both 5.11v, 0.245W

2nd row two USB ports. USB drive NOT recognized and doesn't plays music.
Both 5.10v, 0.168W

Rear (only a single port between the rear seats). USB drive NOT recognized and doesn't plays music.
5.18v 0.170W

Good question. I just tried it and my Lexar 64GB USB3 button stick only works in either of the front two USB ports.

Wow, thank you for going and trying it out!

I didn't realize there was another USB plug somewhere up front. Mainly it seemed like having to unplug the little cable that comes from the dock/holster would be a pain, so as long as that's not necessary that's good news.

It'd be nice to have a stick with a bunch of music on it plugged in at all times. I imagine I would mostly be using my phone for music from a convenience perspective, but for those rare times when I'm in the car by myself it'd be nice to crank up the volume using something higher-quality :)

... as silly as it is to be considering details like this when I haven't even placed an order yet.

I remember there being apps that could be used to partition your iPhone's memory into a virtual USB drive. Has anyone tried that? It would effectively eliminate the need for an external USB. Phone could charge and provide music with one cable. Leaves the other USB port free for wife's phone.

Reactions: NathanWolf
Wow, thank you for going and trying it out!

I didn't realize there was another USB plug somewhere up front. Mainly it seemed like having to unplug the little cable that comes from the dock/holster would be a pain, so as long as that's not necessary that's good news.

It'd be nice to have a stick with a bunch of music on it plugged in at all times. I imagine I would mostly be using my phone for music from a convenience perspective, but for those rare times when I'm in the car by myself it'd be nice to crank up the volume using something higher-quality :)

... as silly as it is to be considering details like this when I haven't even placed an order yet.
In the console between the two front seats is a small covered area with two USB ports and a covered 12v "cigarette lighter" power port.

Mark

• Helpful
Reactions: NathanWolf
Great review to start this thread.

I put all my apple music on a flash drive and don't bother with iPhone bluetooth connection except for calls.

And I found the calls from my iphone6plus to be almost useless compared to the VW eGolf or Honday Odyssey I drove before. The other side can barely hear me and i have difficulty understanding them.

Also I found music from iPhone over bluetooth you could identify the compression as digital noise, but FLAC files from usb stick are impressive. Slacker is somewhere in between.

I do really notice the 'soundstage' effect, something I was not really aware of before, being able to really place where different pieces of the music originate from spatially. I like that for sure.

I'm glad I did not choose UHFS!
Tesla is not known t
I remember there being apps that could be used to partition your iPhone's memory into a virtual USB drive. Has anyone tried that? It would effectively eliminate the need for an external USB. Phone could charge and provide music with one cable. Leaves the other USB port free for wife's phone.
Certainly not on the iPhone. Yes possible on Android where one partition could be used to just dump music files, and needs to be formatted as FAT32. I think FreeDisk app could do this, I use it to make an SD card partition behave as internal memory.
Ideally I would have liked to have the USB port somewhere safe like the glove box where it's plugged in and locked if needed. BMWs have them in the glovebox (as well as armrest compartment).

Certainly not on the iPhone. Yes possible on Android where one partition could be used to just dump music files, and needs to be formatted as FAT32. I think FreeDisk app could do this, I use it to make an SD card partition behave as internal memory.
Ideally I would have liked to have the USB port somewhere safe like the glove box where it's plugged in and locked if needed. BMWs have them in the glovebox (as well as armrest compartment).
Au contraire my friend. The iPhone has plenty of USB FlashDrive apps, here are just 3:
USB/WiFi Flash Drive
iFlashDrive
USB Sharp

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
I see what you are saying now. But this is still not creating a partition I believe (I'll check more details). It is letting you mount the iPhone memory as a mass storage device.
Yes, sorry. I was using the word "partition" in the english sense and not the computer hard-drive sense. Maybe I should have said it will allow one to dedicate a portion of memory as a USB device.

Now that I've lived with the Model X sound system for a couple of weeks, I'm disappointed to say that the sound system in my Ford Fusion Energi Titanium is superior. There are many possible reasons why it's better, from the smaller interior to the fact that it's a name-brand (Sony) designed specifically for this car. No idea why, but the Ford just sounds better than the Model X's Ultra High-Fidelity Sound system.

That having been said, the Ford isn't exceptionally better... it's just better enough that I notice the difference and miss the tighter, fuller bass and crisper mid-range when I'm in the X. Also, unlike the X, nothing rattles in the Ford when the sound is cranked up.

I completely agree with you. Had a 2013 Explorer Limited Loaded.
My P85D with the Ultra High Fidelity System is a disappointment. The sound is nowhere close to what my Explorer's system provided. I was spoiled. The only thing that bothers me is I test drove a P85D and didn't remember the sound being so poor? I have it at the SC now, they are going to go through each speaker and if need be replace them all. The Bluetooth thing is also No Bueno !

My experience has been that on audio source that is CD quality or higher (16bit / 44.1Khz or higher) the UHFS is very good. With any other source it is meh. It is night and day.

The big difference between the Tesla and other cars is the sound staging. In my car and my friend's MS I can clearly feel that the sound stage is setup as if you are listening to music in your living room (which is a front sound stage) rather than being in a car where typically you get an all enveloping feeling. You can still get the all enveloping feeling by fading the sound to the back significantly but that does affect the separation.

That being said, I do have a problem with that fact that all my audio needs to be in a USB stick and the car takes forever to load the music every time I have to start it. Further, it does not seem to remember where it was playing if the source was from the USB so I have to go back and search for the songs again. Which is why I would love to see direct cable connection interface to the iPhone to play lossless music directly from my iTunes rather than the USB.

My experience has been that on audio source that is CD quality or higher (16bit / 44.1Khz or higher) the UHFS is very good. With any other source it is meh. It is night and day.

The big difference between the Tesla and other cars is the sound staging. In my car and my friend's MS I can clearly feel that the sound stage is setup as if you are listening to music in your living room (which is a front sound stage) rather than being in a car where typically you get an all enveloping feeling. You can still get the all enveloping feeling by fading the sound to the back significantly but that does affect the separation.

That being said, I do have a problem with that fact that all my audio needs to be in a USB stick and the car takes forever to load the music every time I have to start it. Further, it does not seem to remember where it was playing if the source was from the USB so I have to go back and search for the songs again. Which is why I would love to see direct cable connection interface to the iPhone to play lossless music directly from my iTunes rather than the USB.
A small work around for searching you USB is to set a favorite song from within the folder you are searching for. Then the music is two touches away, favorites tab and song title.

+100