TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Final Model 3 reveal may not happen before production begins in July 2017, per Elon

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ecarfan, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In the Q1 2017 earnings call, currently going on, Elon stated that the final Model 3 reveal that will show the production version of the car may not happen before production begins in July 2017. He didn't state that with a lot of certainty, there was some hedging, but it sounded to me like the final Model 3 reveal may not be before production begins in July.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Disappointing, but not totally unexpected. I was hoping for something on 3/31/17. Maybe they're doing more fine-tuning on the design and features.

3. KP623

KP623 New Member

The more they delay, the more I am considering to purchase a different car. By the time my reservation is put into actual production, I may have other options (cars) to choose from.

• Disagree x 10
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

What delay? They just announced that they are still on schedule to meet what Musk himself described as an impossible deadline. You couldn't have hoped for better news.

• Like x 12
    • Love x 1
  5. timk225

timk225 Member

Fine, show the final reveal in July. But give us some sort of detailed update at the end of March, please.

• Like x 3
  6. electracity

electracity Active Member

The AP2 woes have probably hampered short term demand a bit. They probably don't want to get even more people worked up about the model 3 in Q2. They need people to keep buying their current cars.

In the earnings call Musk as funny dancing around what additional M3 features are still to be revealed.

• Like x 1
  7. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

'Pencils down' was months ago. They aren't making design tweaks...they just don't want to show their HUD until last minute so other manufacturers take longer to catch up.

8. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

This makes me sad.

9. Boourns

Boourns Member

I believe he also said that configurations would begin in 3-4 months.

10. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

For me this is the best news possible. Tesla isn't going to be making a limited dozen units run for the 2nd unveil/2nd stage of road testing then going to production. They're confident with prototype testing the car is reliable enough and that the next big item is actually making hundreds or thousands of cars with normal production methods and finding the sorts of problems that only show up in mass production.

Just reading between the lines, but the message is clear enough.

With over US$ 3 billion in the bank, with GF1 ramping up, Tesla is looking real good.
    The only bad news is GF2 (Solar) is 6 months behind schedule, will begin production around year's end.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. montreid

montreid Member

One would think configurations need to be at least 2 weeks before production just to get them slotted in correctly and finalized payments vs building the initial cars on spec if they are looking at delivery in Q3 (june).

If no West coast Day 1 configurations by early May, would be concerned.

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Or, if the HUD is the holdup, maybe they want to have it ready to deploy on the X/S line shortly after their announcement/reveal.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Don't forget that the initial people configuring will be employees so they may well not configure until right before production starts.

• Like x 1
  14. Boourns

Boourns Member

Seems like it's all going to happen pretty quickly once they're ready. Here's the quote from a live blog of the call:

Tesla earnings say Model 3 is on track, stock gains: Live blog recap

• Informative x 1
  15. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

I would think Employees will get first dibs. So we should likely see something around April, if they leak...

16. Railhawk52

Railhawk52 Member

I'm going to go nuts with 4 more months of speculation haha.
    Yeah, I'd think that there would have to be some sort of reveal event before any configurations, otherwise features would leak. If memory serves me correctly the Model S had a final reveal and then a first delivery event. Perhaps Elon is referring to the first delivery event for July and the comment he made a few months ago about the 3rd reveal being in the spring is still true (I can dream can't I ;))

17. SureValla

SureValla Member

I'm pleased to hear that the first possibly buggy cars are going to employees. One of my main concerns is getting one of those first problematic cars like what happened with the X.

• Like x 1
  18. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

The 3 is more like the S than the X. No automatic doors, no Falcon Wing Doors. If you aren't an employee or a current Tesla owner, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a buggy Model 3. Even if you do Tesla will make it right.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  19. stefan.bc

stefan.bc I see dead headlights!

Not entirely, they won't change the ghosting windshield on MX.

20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

They may. They just haven't to date. My work order says I'm on the list for a resolution.. whatever that's worth.

• Funny x 1