Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've been working with Tesla to determine my reduced max range and the suspicion was imbalance I did a couple of range charges just before getting .106 (was on .94 I think). The last few range charges came to 505km of rated range (before it had dropped to 496km even with the new 5.9 where I gained from 486km so it had some imbalance). Then I got .106 and did immediately again a range charge to continue the balancing effort and voila the max range had dropped to 498km and seems to be stuck there (I've done a couple more range charges and kept the car balancing). So I lost 7km overnight with the new firmware and hence am putting it to the firmware release. Anyone else done a max range comparison of .94 and .106? Not sure if the estimate got more accurate or the range was moved below 0 again.

Are you sure you don't mean 396 and 405km, respectively? 505km is a ton! You must have a super battery.

Are you sure you don't mean 396 and 405km, respectively? 505km is a ton! You must have a super battery.

In EU the Rated range is what is Ideal range in US and the car is rated for 502km according to NEDC. The Typical range is what you have in US as Rated range or about that ;) It's a hell of a confusing naming scheme, but yeah, the car did give me for at least a couple of days 313.8 miles range. Now I get "only" 309 miles rated range ;) I'm not complaining and it's mostly about algorithm changes I think, but would be interested if others observe a drop in max range going from .94 to .106.

As I've been working with Tesla to determine my reduced max range and the suspicion was imbalance I did a couple of range charges just before getting .106 (was on .94 I think). The last few range charges came to 505km of rated range (before it had dropped to 496km even with the new 5.9 where I gained from 486km so it had some imbalance). Then I got .106 and did immediately again a range charge to continue the balancing effort and voila the max range had dropped to 498km and seems to be stuck there (I've done a couple more range charges and kept the car balancing). So I lost 7km overnight with the new firmware and hence am putting it to the firmware release. Anyone else done a max range comparison of .94 and .106? Not sure if the estimate got more accurate or the range was moved below 0 again.

Mario,
I have an S60 and I used to get 269km at 80%, but after the update, I am getting 266km. The calculation algorithm must be different with .106. My car is still new (4,600km).

Has happened before too. Folks were getting variants of 5.8.4 for a couple of weeks after 5.9 was seen in the wild. They must have a VIN queuing system that must have a mind of its own.

If an update has started loading to your car, it needs to finish and install before another can start. Explains seemingly goofy reality of getting old versions after a new one reported.

Just got 1.51.109 yesterday. Same release notes so not sure what was changed.
I got this version today though I was away for a few days so I'm not exactly sure when it was downloaded. Now that the updat has completed (release notes displayed on the touch screen) I have a "car needs service" message that won't go away despite restarts on both screens. Time to call service I guess.

I got this version today though I was away for a few days so I'm not exactly sure when it was downloaded. Now that the updat has completed (release notes displayed on the touch screen) I have a "car needs service" message that won't go away despite restarts on both screens. Time to call service I guess.

Apparently one of the software modules did not update properly. A new update was downloaded and I installed it - the problem cleared. Now I'm at 5.11.

Apparently one of the software modules did not update properly. A new update was downloaded and I installed it - the problem cleared. Now I'm at 5.11.

Glad to hear that it sounds like it was just an install bug.

Unfortunately, 5.11 doesn't really seem to have fixed anything for most people and has even introduced some new issues for others.

Pano roof still giving you trouble?

Glad to hear that it sounds like it was just an install bug.

Unfortunately, 5.11 doesn't really seem to have fixed anything for most people and has even introduced some new issues for others.

Pano roof still giving you trouble?
Yes as a matter of fact. Initially it seemed better but its back to weird behaviors again so I'm trying to leave it alone. Tesla are going to send out a ranger to re-calibrate the roof. Unfortunately it requires proprietary software from a Tesla laptop. Seems unfortunate that there isn't something that can either be done via touch screen or at least done remotely though I'm not sure how often this type of problem happens normally.