Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Navigation for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what the release notes said. They said that it would warn you if you were driving beyond the range of a known charger. Nothing about turn by turn guidance to the nearest charging station (unless you have navigation, of course).

Your caption from the release notes range assurance section actually says turn-by-turn guidance, does it not? Is there some other evidence I'm missing?

Without turn-by-turn guidance, running out of charge seems very possible which is not inline with Elon's claim on solving range anxiety. The hardware has to be capable because the range anxiety calculation is by necessity based on the route calculations. If has to lookup actual distance, temperature, elevation changes, and wind direction, then it certainly is already mapping out the route internally. So, it would be very un Tesla-ish to hold back this crucial information. Also contrary to Tesla's goal of helping advance electrification of transport.

Read it again. It says "Navigation will provide..." In other words, you need Navigation.

Your caption from the release notes range assurance section actually says turn-by-turn guidance, does it not? Is there some other evidence I'm missing?

Without turn-by-turn guidance, running out of charge seems very possible which is not inline with Elon's claim on solving range anxiety. The hardware has to be capable because the range anxiety calculation is by necessity based on the route calculations. If has to lookup actual distance, temperature, elevation changes, and wind direction, then it certainly is already mapping out the route internally. So, it would be very un Tesla-ish to hold back this crucial information. Also contrary to Tesla's goal of helping advance electrification of transport.

You know, I think driver profiles might have something to do with leather seats and not necessarily tech package. That's ringing a faint bell for me...
I don't know the exact timeline, but early on heated seats and driver profiles were both only available with leather. My car is in the 17xxx range, after they changed it to the current configuration. I have heated textile and no profiles. Folding mirrors were added to the tech package many months after my build.

I don't know the exact timeline, but early on heated seats and driver profiles were both only available with leather. My car is in the 17xxx range, after they changed it to the current configuration. I have heated textile and no profiles. Folding mirrors were added to the tech package many months after my build.

Didnt they also change the adjustability of the textile seats with that change? I seem to recall reading threads where the textile seats had no memory setting, no heat, and less adjustability than the leather. It wasn't long though until they were "upgraded" to only be a different in material and if you have that front pocket.

I have the multi-way adjustable seats, they are textile, and they are heated. I do not have tech package. I have driver profiles for seat and steering wheel only, not for mirrors. VIN 12161.

As for the Elon quote about range anxiety, it is starting to sound like he was only speaking of cars with tech (Nav), and for all vehicles moving forward. This fully explains why the Nav package would now be standard -- it's required to "end range anxiety". Those of us without tech, and therefore without Nav, will have to accept the occasional bout of range anxiety as a fact of life.

I really wish Elon wouldn't make such bold statements about every car in the fleet getting something when it's not actually the case. It's my opinion that people who live at the high end of the fiscal curve sometimes just don't think about those at the other end. The possibility that there's people out there without tech probably never occurs to him when we're talking about $100K cars. It would be nice if he'd step out of his bubble every once in a while and remove the blinders that hide the rest of us. Yeah, I'm frustrated. But I'll get over it.

Last edited:
Tesla's 6.2 release notes clearly say that the new Trip Planner and Trip Overview features only apply to cars which have Navigation. That would seem to indicate, in no uncertain terms, that if your car doesn't have navigation (i.e., no tech package) then these features will not apply. Look at the footnote at the bottom of the release notes page for the qualification. Range Assurance does not appear to require navigation, per the footnote, even though it will provide turn-by-turn directions. Maybe Tesla enabled turn-by-turn just for Range Assurance for the entire fleet? That or the footnote forgot to include Range Assurance.

CBISeLPVEAAFaN0.jpg

Tesla's 6.2 release notes clearly say that the new Trip Planner and Trip Overview features only apply to cars which have Navigation. That would seem to indicate, in no uncertain terms, that if your car doesn't have navigation (i.e., no tech package) then these features will not apply. Look at the footnote at the bottom of the release notes page for the qualification. Range Assurance does not appear to require navigation, per the footnote, even though it will provide turn-by-turn directions. Maybe Tesla enabled turn-by-turn just for Range Assurance for the entire fleet? That or the footnote forgot to include Range Assurance.

View attachment 76289

Based on the photo, my prediction remains reinforced. All cars will use an "as the crow flies" (Google Maps) method of keeping tabs on your distance from the nearby chargers. On cars with tech/nav, it will indeed allow you to navigate with turn-by-turn directions back to those locations. But for cars without nav, you'll simply get the warning, but no added "directions" obviously. Can't wait to find out, as my wife's car lacks nav/tech so we'll be able to see & compare, since my car has nav/tech.

I have a non tech and I got 6.2 today. There are no changes to maps and no Nav. Range Assurance seems to run in the background, there is no user interface, I guess just an alert when you are going to run out of juice if you continue.

Side note: I did get google maps, with turn by turn directions and location, to briefly run on my non tech S by Using an IPhone emulator website. I am going to explore this more.

Looks like autopilot cars are getting 6.2 first. Bet non-tech Ss will be last to get it as we'll get so little benefit from it :cursing:

Looks like the "entire fleet" doesn't include us. I'm having Firmware Anxiety.

I'm not that familiar with the "non-tech" vehicles. But is it not possible to upgrade to tech (or most of tech?) by buying an upgrade that simply flips on navigation and such? I can't imagine that there's much (if any???) hardware difference between control panels on the tech & non-tech cars?

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm mistaken.

I'm not that familiar with the "non-tech" vehicles. But is it not possible to upgrade to tech (or most of tech?) by buying an upgrade that simply flips on navigation and such? I can't imagine that there's much (if any???) hardware difference between control panels on the tech & non-tech cars?

Reports have varied from $200 to $6000 and multiple points in between, and some have even been told it's not possible. I'm with you in that I can't imagine there's much of a hardware difference, but according to what some have been told by Tesla employees, there is in fact a difference*, and it can necessitate a full MCU replacement.

*Historically, there have been examples of flat out incorrect info being relayed even by Tesla employees.

I have a non tech and I got 6.2 today. There are no changes to maps and no Nav. Range Assurance seems to run in the background, there is no user interface, I guess just an alert when you are going to run out of juice if you continue.

Side note: I did get google maps, with turn by turn directions and location, to briefly run on my non tech S by Using an IPhone emulator website. I am going to explore this more.

can u verify the "lighting bolt" in the Maps app (like is done for supercharger locations) and see if it now displays HPWC locations?

thanks in advance.

It could be connected to other changes outside Nav that come with Tech. For instance, electrochroamatic mirrors, some additional chrome trim around the vehicle, Homelink, potentially fog lights and DRL (depending on manufacturing date as this moved in and out of the tech package), etc. Because of these, it could be that some reps at Tesla are saying no to a tech package upgrade b/c of the retrofitting required for these other pieces? Just conjecture on my part though.

It could be connected to other changes outside Nav that come with Tech. For instance, electrochroamatic mirrors, some additional chrome trim around the vehicle, Homelink, potentially fog lights and DRL (depending on manufacturing date as this moved in and out of the tech package), etc. Because of these, it could be that some reps at Tesla are saying no to a tech package upgrade b/c of the retrofitting required for these other pieces? Just conjecture on my part though.

This makes sense to me. Personally I think that Tesla should offer to turn on Nav for the non-tech packages for some appropriate price - not as much as the full tech package cost back then, since they won't get the physical bits & pieces.

Although... electrochromatic mirrors are/were optional on a 70K plus car?! What the heck do they have instead? A 1975 mirror flipper tab?

This makes sense to me. Personally I think that Tesla should offer to turn on Nav for the non-tech packages for some appropriate price - not as much as the full tech package cost back then, since they won't get the physical bits & pieces.
Agreed, especially since the Navigation now includes many more features than it did at the time I purchased my car. Had I known those were planned/coming, it would have impacted my decision. I suppose the company line would be to suggest that I buy a new car, but I don't think that's economically feasible for me at this time.

Although... electrochromatic mirrors are/were optional on a 70K plus car?! What the heck do they have instead? A 1975 mirror flipper tab?

Technically, only the side mirrors were ever non-electrochromatic. The windshield mounted rear view mirror has always been electrochromatic. That said, I agree that's a strange place to draw the line. I think perhaps they were stretching to add features to the Tech Package to encourage more people to select it.

There have been threads on this forum where non-tech owners do NOT have an electrochroamatic center windshield rearview mirror and a huge complaint that with the September 2014 Autopilot design changes, the non-tech cars no longer come with the prism flip-tab to engage night-mode. So August 2014 non-tech had a prism flip tap non-electrochroamatic center mirror and a November non-tech has just a blank mirror with no adjustability for nighttime glare.

There have been threads on this forum where non-tech owners do NOT have an electrochroamatic center windshield rearview mirror and a huge complaint that with the September 2014 Autopilot design changes, the non-tech cars no longer come with the prism flip-tab to engage night-mode. So August 2014 non-tech had a prism flip tap non-electrochroamatic center mirror and a November non-tech has just a blank mirror with no adjustability for nighttime glare.

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for correcting me.