Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Navigation for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, especially since the Navigation now includes many more features than it did at the time I purchased my car. Had I known those were planned/coming, it would have impacted my decision. I suppose the company line would be to suggest that I buy a new car, but I don't think that's economically feasible for me at this time.

Did you check with the service center yourself? I simply cannot imagine that enabling navigation is any more than a software switch. The GPS hardware is clearly there. Everything else is just software.

Technically, only the side mirrors were ever non-electrochromatic. The windshield mounted rear view mirror has always been electrochromatic. That said, I agree that's a strange place to draw the line. I think perhaps they were stretching to add features to the Tech Package to encourage more people to select it.

Okay... phew. If they had given you a flipper tab, Tesla was going to drop 10 points in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

There have been threads on this forum where non-tech owners do NOT have an electrochroamatic center windshield rearview mirror and a huge complaint that with the September 2014 Autopilot design changes, the non-tech cars no longer come with the prism flip-tab to engage night-mode. So August 2014 non-tech had a prism flip tap non-electrochroamatic center mirror and a November non-tech has just a blank mirror with no adjustability for nighttime glare.

NO!!?!?! Are you $hitting me? They HAD a flipper on a Tesla?!! SERIOUSLY?!!!!! Aren't electrochromatic mirrors standard on every $10,000 $hitbox Kia?

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

No problem. Not exactly a mistake as this has likely changed (like fog lights and DRLs) over time too. So there very well likely was manufacturing window where all cars had a center windshield electrochroamatic mirror regardless of tech/non-tech. :)

- - - Updated - - -

NO!!?!?! Are you $hitting me? They HAD a flipper on a Tesla?!! SERIOUSLY?!!!!! Aren't electrochromatic mirrors standard on every $10,000 $hitbox Kia?

Via #12
I can confirm as a non-tech owner, the rear-view mirror is NOT auto-dimming. There is a "flip" tab that allows you to flip it up or down to a dimming/reflective view. My VIN is 42XXX.

I have to say that I am a bit bummed that "Non tech" packages cannot even use a "limited" navigation for charging purposes on trips. I don't really understand how the "entire" fleet benefited with this release as well except for more chargers showing on my map.

I have to say that I am a bit bummed that "Non tech" packages cannot even use a "limited" navigation for charging purposes on trips. I don't really understand how the "entire" fleet benefited with this release as well except for more chargers showing on my map.

Yeah... It's not really "entire fleet".... Zzzzzz.

Can you confirm that official HPWC locations now show up on the Map app (like supercharger locations)?

thx

OMG... whomever in marketing made THAT decision needs to be looking for another job. That is beyond absurd.

My car...

ElRMSc0.jpg

wow.

i don't have tech package but my early car came with electro mirrors (side and center)

Well I DO have power windows, which is nice. :)

My wife's base model '10 Prius has electro rear view, so it did seem a bit odd to cheap out on that on a Tesla...
EDIT: my mistake .. Toyota or the dealer screwed up and accidentally added the electro rear mirror on the Prius, the base does not come with it, and I didn't pay for it because it was a screw up.

Sorry for getting off topic...

Last edited:
V6.2 (2.4.124) arrived on my non-tech standard audio car today. I am VIN P039xx.

Features we get include:

Range Assurance, Valet Mode, Improved Search Results in Maps, and Faster Instrument Cluster Wakeup Time from Energy Saving Mode.

There was no mention of the new audio codec in the release notes, but music quality dramatically improved in my car.

Here's the deal on adding Navigation:

If you have the upgraded sound system only a $1000 software update is needed.

If you only have standard sound like me the MCU (big dash touch screen) must also be swapped for $5000.

Six grand is a lot to spend for a trip planner, but I would pay $1000 if I could in my car.

V6.2 (2.4.124) arrived on my non-tech standard audio car today. I am VIN P039xx.

Features we get include:

Range Assurance, Valet Mode, Improved Search Results in Maps, and Faster Instrument Cluster Wakeup Time from Energy Saving Mode.

There was no mention of the new audio codec in the release notes, but music quality dramatically improved in my car.

If you only have standard sound like me the MCU (big dash touch screen) must also be swapped for $5000.

Six grand is a lot to spend for a trip planner, but I would pay $1000 if I could in my car.

thx Doug

were you told this directly from someone at tesla?

thx

Yes. My service center sent me a quote in September and I followed up in person today. My advisor is confirming with HQ to make sure the offer is still valid.

Hopefully they'll come up with a more cost attractive retrofit to bring these non tech-package cars in line with the rest of "the fleet" Especially now that Nav is standard on all cars regardless of tech package or premium sound. I'd like to join the Fleet, but $6K is a little too steep for Nav retrofit.

Great info, Doug -- thank you!

I sent an email to my service center manager Monday with all my vehicle details and asking for a quote to upgrade to Nav, but I've yet to hear back. I assume that means he's really trying to get accurate info since he usually responds same day.

It must really be a major project to replace that center screen, though, for Doug to be quoted $5K. The entire tech package, including additional wiring, upgraded hardware, and Nav licensing was considerable less than that so I'm amazed they charge so much to replace just the screen. Then another $1K just to enable the software? Wow! And no thank you!

For the low low price of $14,500 and I could have Nav, a 60 battery and supercharging...or a brand new Toyota Yaris. An actual brand new Toyota for the price of a software update on my car.

At the risk of getting flamed, what would have been the price differential to add those options to the new vehicle when purchased? And what would be the added resale value for a car with the $14.5k in upgrades?

It's a tough situation for Tesla. There is a very real cost difference between a true 40kWh battery pack and a 60. And yes I know they installed a software crippled 60 because there were few enough 40s ordered that the additional engineering to create the 40 didn't warrant the expenditure. But they wanted to be fair to folks who had ordered a 40 at the reduced price while also being fair to folks who ordered the 60 at the higher price. I guess they could have simply said that they can't provide a 40 because of the small number of orders. But they didn't do that and I give them credit for it.

Similarly developing NAV has a development cost. And supercharging has both an incremental and development cost. Those cost need to be recovered from the people who use the product.

I think they're doing the best that they can to treat everybody fairly: the people who paid the higher price originally, the people who are looking to get into a Tesla at a lower cost, and those who bought at lower cost but are hoping for an upgrade path. At least there is an upgrade path. That's not true of many vehicles.

For the low low price of $14,500 and I could have Nav, a 60 battery and supercharging...or a brand new Toyota Yaris. An actual brand new Toyota for the price of a software update on my car.

But that price is for more than just software. The 40-to-60 upgrade is paying for the extra battery cells that you didn't already pay for. And the supercharger fee is going toward building and maintaining the supercharger network. So, sure, you're paying to enable something that is already there, but those things had significant cost to Tesla.

Hmm. Any idea what the sound system has to do with the Nav? IIRC, the tech package and premium sound were always two separate options.