Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having an issue with FM radio being unselected when getting into the car? This happened about 3 updates ago. I kept thinking it would get resolved but I have had 2 updates now and the problem is still there. I have another update queued up for tomorrow and I hope it gets fixed then.

Apologies if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it. Here is the situation: If I am listening to FM radio then park. When I come back to the car I can hear the station playing when I open the door and the car starts up. But when I put my stuff in the back seat and get in, the radio display has gone from the station to the Radio -> FM / AM selection screen. So I have to select FM to get the radio back on. Very annoying.

-Jeff

I too have had this problem since 7.1 came out at random times, but since the most recent upgrade it's happened the majority of the time. I agree, it is very annoying and unnecessary. I have also recently had issues with the Nav maps reloading (sometimes taking up to 20 minutes), which really stinks when I'm travelling on an expressway and want to know what the traffic looks like ahead while I still have time to change my route.

I too have had this problem since 7.1 came out at random times, but since the most recent upgrade it's happened the majority of the time. I agree, it is very annoying and unnecessary. I have also recently had issues with the Nav maps reloading (sometimes taking up to 20 minutes), which really stinks when I'm travelling on an expressway and want to know what the traffic looks like ahead while I still have time to change my route.

Yes, ever since 7.1, the car forgets I was listening to the radio, the next time I get in the car. OR, it sort of forgets. Let's review:

1. If it forgets, it simply forgets, and I have to select media > FM or AM, etc. If I park, turn off car, come back, car usually has forgotten I was listening to radio.

2. If it sort of forgets, the volume knob works, but the left-hand region of driver's instrument display does not show a radio station selected (and that is what I have set the left-hand region of that display to show: what I'm listening to). I have to go through a number of steps (launching "Media" app, selecting radio, selecting FM or AM, picking station) -- even though the radio's already playing!

Such sloppy bugs. But probably low priority because who in their right mind would listen to FM or AM in 2016, right Tesla? Well, I do.

Such sloppy bugs. But probably low priority because who in their right mind would listen to FM or AM in 2016, right Tesla? Well, I do.

I agree this is a sloppy bug. But I wouldn't say it is low priority. They introduced a feature/bug last year that muted the audio when you got in the car. There was a lot of complaining about that and eventually the non-muting behavior was restored. I think we just need to escalate this, but other than posting on this thread I'm not sure how. I will have my latest update installed tomorrow then I will know if the problem is resolved or I need to start complaining more loudly.

Also, good to know this also happens with XM. I don't have XM so I wouldn't have known about that. I also haven't had issues with the maps, but I don't depend on them very often.

Had this happen today post upgrade, and had something similar happen before...where the USB stick I am listening to isnt read the next time I enter the car. Almost as if the system rebooted and when it brought up the ports it inversed the mounting. So, what was USB1 is now USB2, making my previously playing music no longer present and unreadable. Then when I select the other drive it has to do the whole loading dance again.

Is anyone else having an issue with FM radio being unselected when getting into the car? This happened about 3 updates ago. I kept thinking it would get resolved but I have had 2 updates now and the problem is still there. I have another update queued up for tomorrow and I hope it gets fixed then.

Apologies if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it. Here is the situation: If I am listening to FM radio then park. When I come back to the car I can hear the station playing when I open the door and the car starts up. But when I put my stuff in the back seat and get in, the radio display has gone from the station to the Radio -> FM / AM selection screen. So I have to select FM to get the radio back on. Very annoying.

-Jeff
yup mine does this too... you can't change FM stations until you re-select FM radio.. despite the fact that the FM radio is already... playing...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, ever since 7.1, the car forgets I was listening to the radio, the next time I get in the car. OR, it sort of forgets. Let's review:

1. If it forgets, it simply forgets, and I have to select media > FM or AM, etc. If I park, turn off car, come back, car usually has forgotten I was listening to radio.

2. If it sort of forgets, the volume knob works, but the left-hand region of driver's instrument display does not show a radio station selected (and that is what I have set the left-hand region of that display to show: what I'm listening to). I have to go through a number of steps (launching "Media" app, selecting radio, selecting FM or AM, picking station) -- even though the radio's already playing!

I don't know about you guys but...
3) Bluetooth phone calls continue to show as connected for approx 15-30 seconds after hanging up

Installed the update yesterday morning, and have already needed to reboot once since the nav software started lagging badly (dashboard map updates to route changes quickly while the Google maps was taking over a minute to show changes).

Audio system still has the same bugs - periodic "hiccups" while playing USB songs, phantom playing of USB songs overnight, missing source select button on console display, ...

Plus, even with the new maps, the nav software still thinks it takes 5 minutes to roll the first few feet on my block (on a street that is likely 10 years old).

My wife and I have been talking about getting a second Tesla to replace her ICE - and the poor software is a concern. I knew when I got my P85 3 years ago the software was going to be rough - a "version 1" product, but because Tesla committed to providing software updates "for the life of the car", I expected they would continue development on the core apps and improve the functionality and quality. And since that hasn't happened... It does raise concerns about buying another Tesla - and likely having another car with missing features and software quality - problems I wouldn't expect to see with other manufacturers.

Really, compared to getting the Falcon doors to work - how hard can it really be to fix these software problems???

Installed the update yesterday morning, and have already needed to reboot once since the nav software started lagging badly (dashboard map updates to route changes quickly while the Google maps was taking over a minute to show changes).

Audio system still has the same bugs - periodic "hiccups" while playing USB songs, phantom playing of USB songs overnight, missing source select button on console display, ...

Plus, even with the new maps, the nav software still thinks it takes 5 minutes to roll the first few feet on my block (on a street that is likely 10 years old).

My wife and I have been talking about getting a second Tesla to replace her ICE - and the poor software is a concern. I knew when I got my P85 3 years ago the software was going to be rough - a "version 1" product, but because Tesla committed to providing software updates "for the life of the car", I expected they would continue development on the core apps and improve the functionality and quality. And since that hasn't happened... It does raise concerns about buying another Tesla - and likely having another car with missing features and software quality - problems I wouldn't expect to see with other manufacturers.

Really, compared to getting the Falcon doors to work - how hard can it really be to fix these software problems???

Did you contact your service center about those issues, my P85 from 2013 doesn't show those. I haven't seen degradation in speed since day one. Its not fast like I would expect from a desktop computer but not slow as you describe.

One thing to try, maybe, check this video: Fix navigation lag after 7.0 update - YouTube

Got the v7.1 (2.12.22) update, the only update for this release is the Creep setting is now saved to Driver Profiles. Ouch, Tesla is really abandoning the classic model s.
If they're really abandoning it, I wish they would have abandoned it at 6.x. However, most of the upgrades are meant to work with newer hardware. Very few things can be upgraded for a reasonable price.

Not sure if my problem is related to the recent map update or recent software update, but last night all of the place names on my centre screen map were blurry. I rebooted both screens but this didn't resolve the problem. Lighting was in night mode. Today I'll see if the words are blurred on daytime brightness as well.
I've posted this on the Map Update thread as well to see if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Not sure if my problem is related to the recent map update or recent software update, but last night all of the place names on my centre screen map were blurry. I rebooted both screens but this didn't resolve the problem. Lighting was in night mode. Today I'll see if the words are blurred on daytime brightness as well.
I've posted this on the Map Update thread as well to see if anyone else is having a similar experience.
My screens are fine, but haven't received the map update, only the firmware update.