Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this:

Car plugged in, fully charged. When I check interior temp, it says 68-70.

I have not set the climate system to ON, nor is the car set for pre-conditioning.

Outdoor temp 80-90

Any thoughts?

When I charge at my office in a parking deck with little airflow, I often notice that if I show up at the right time, the car is much cooler than it should be (lower than ambient). I figured that with the lack of airflow with all the cars parked in the center of the deck (where are charging stations are) and the heat generated from charging, the car occasionally turns on the a/c to cool the battery pack, and as a side effect, the cabin is cooled. This is not new behavior for me, but the behavior for months.

• Informative
Reactions: DoubleE
When I charge at my office in a parking deck with little airflow, I often notice that if I show up at the right time, the car is much cooler than it should be (lower than ambient). I figured that with the lack of airflow with all the cars parked in the center of the deck (where are charging stations are) and the heat generated from charging, the car occasionally turns on the a/c to cool the battery pack, and as a side effect, the cabin is cooled. This is not new behavior for me, but the behavior for months.

I have never noticed this behavior just to cool the cabin but have had my fans really turn on fast and loud when charging at a SuperCharger after a long run. I suspect this is the same thing you see. However, we have "somewhat" cooler temperatures than you might down there, so that could be a difference (sadly the same shoreline humidity, ugh). I suppose the tell tale sign of this might be a puddle of condensate water under the S due to the HVAC freeze & thaw. Do you see that as well? I have range mode off in the summer, do you? I have also never turned on PreConditioning after having read about its rather inconsistent behaviors... Is yours off as well? However I have never seen the HVAC come on in the cabin to cool the cabin down other than if I invoke climate from the iPhone app.

I also make it a point to Turn Off my HVAC before I leave the car... and also turn off my USB thumb drive via a harmonica switch. I did notice that my USB thumb drive gets REALLY HOT even when the car has been locked and sitting.... do not like that behavior and consider it somewhat of a danger. This is a known "feature" of my particular SanDisk USB drive BTW....

The only thing I have ever seen is the interior fan comes on when the car is sitting in the hot sun to ventilate the cabin. I have personally seen this three times now. However most of the time my S is in a garage which at times gets up to the mid 90's in the shade recently.

BTW, just because I have not seen HVAC come on to cool the cabin in my car should not taken that I disagree with you, just that I offer this as a data point. I wonder if any Canadian owners, have ever seen this behavior? It should be very noticeable in the deep southern states for sure.

Last edited:
True, however - how does keeping the vehicle at 68-70 degrees make any logical sense? Seems like that would consume a lot more energy whereas normal operating temperature are a lot higher.
When there is little to no airflow in the cabin, I find the interior temperature reading extremely inaccurate. Sometimes in the summer I will vent my pano roof remotely and almost immediately see the temperature jump 10-15 degrees F.

Reactions: Tree95
My car was dropped off at the Sunnyvale Service Center on Wednesday morning. As far as I can tell it's sat in the parking lot in the same place since I dropped it off. At around 11:00 AM today I got a notification that a update is available and it looks like it hasn't moved yet so probably nothing done by the service folks.

I assume it's 2.32.65 based on other folks messages (no way to tell right now). I wonder why it would take two days to get the message when the car has been in the geofence the entire time.

My car was dropped off at the Sunnyvale Service Center on Wednesday morning. As far as I can tell it's sat in the parking lot in the same place since I dropped it off. At around 11:00 AM today I got a notification that a update is available and it looks like it hasn't moved yet so probably nothing done by the service folks.

I assume it's 2.32.65 based on other folks messages (no way to tell right now). I wonder why it would take two days to get the message when the car has been in the geofence the entire time.

I presume it's the mysterious aging parameter that was mentioned. I dropped by the Sunnyvale center a few times this week and was not able to trigger an update.

I suppose the tell tale sign of this might be a puddle of condensate water under the S due to the HVAC freeze & thaw. Do you see that as well?

Sometimes, but not always. My schedule varies a lot, but over the past 15 months, I have noted it a couple times.

I have range mode off in the summer, do you?

Yup, always off for me.

I have also never turned on PreConditioning after having read about its rather inconsistent behaviors... Is yours off as well?

Yup, my schedule varies significantly and like you, I just never turned it on since I can't tell it some general guidelines and remove extraneous "on" times.

I also make it a point to Turn Off my HVAC before I leave the car... and also turn off my USB thumb drive via a harmonica switch. I did notice that my USB thumb drive gets REALLY HOT even when the car has been locked and sitting.... do not like that behavior and consider it somewhat of a danger. This is a known "feature" of my particular SanDisk USB drive BTW....

I don't do this. Perhaps I should. I have my USB stick in there 24/7 for the once in a blue moon I go into an area without cell service. Since I use Slacker for 85%+ of my listening, I just leave my media player as-is when I park.

BTW, just because I have not seen HVAC come on to cool the cabin in my car should not taken that I disagree with you, just that I offer this as a data point.

No offense taken. :) I similarly was only sharing as a datapoint. Tesla leaves much of this a mystery and then changes things on us often enough that I don't think we can ever know for sure -- just make generally true guidelines from data points.

My question to you now is: Do you have some way to force an update so that you get the latest firmware and are able to decipher what's changed? There are only 10 reported through the tracker for this particular FW but you always are able to get the FW.

Obviously I have some way, but I'm not inclined to reveal it in a public forum. That's the safest way for me to ensure that I keep access to the latest so I can keep giving you guys these reports.

Noticed this:

Car plugged in, fully charged. When I check interior temp, it says 68-70.

I have not set the climate system to ON, nor is the car set for pre-conditioning.

Outdoor temp 80-90

Any thoughts?
The interior temp usually doesn't update unless the HVAC is turned on. This is because it cannot take a temp reading until it has power. So if you want to know, enable remote HVAC, then read the temp, then turn it back off. Also, the interior temp sensor has a tiny fan to pull cabin air in for better response. This also needs power.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Audio / Dolby

I have the Ultra HiFi Sound package, and I've always been pretty disappointed in its performance. While the sound is clear and has plenty of bass, the sound stage is very front-heavy with virtually no presence in the rear, and the imaging just blows. All sound always sounds like it's coming from directly behind the main display, with virtually no stereo separation. Mid-range and mid-bass notes are muddled and lack definition. I have always run the system with Dolby Surround turned off because it affects bass output too much.

SomeJoe7777, you might want to try some slightly different settings. I use:

Bass: +1.5
Mid: -6.0
Treble: 0.0
Dolby: On
Balance: 0
Fade: -3

I sit leaned back pretty far, which is why I moved the fader back to -3. Not sure that's the right spot. The upgraded HiFi is definitely bright which is why I suppress the midrange so much... effectively turning up the bass and treble without adding distortion.

I doubt that's the reason. Although it's true they can RECEIVE updates in the geofenced area they aren't going to start the update without user intervention.
Tesla has the ability to push updates without requiring manual intervention. If the car hasn't been delivered yet, as seems to have been the case in that video, then there's no reason to have to put up a dialog to accept new firmware.

The most notable case was when wk057 got his firmware updated when Tesla retaliated by outing the P100D.
My recollection was that they tried offering him an update to a previous version, but he didn't accept it. Would have to go find that thread again to be sure.

In any event, I think a more notable case was when Tesla shut off Autopilot functionality in Hong Kong.

A bug I've just noticed, although I think its been around for some months now - I get in the car and the station I had been listening to on FM, is no longer preset.

Last night I was driving home listening to a news station, set as the first preset. I parked in the garage, not plugged in. Two hours later we got in the car to go to dinner and the station preset now said 'No station selected' and the radio was playing on the next higher preset station (music, which is how I noticed)

I have encountered the missing preset several times over the last few months, mostly after my wife had been driving previously, so I put it down to perhaps 'finger trouble', but on this occasion it was clearly a change between parking and starting up again

At the time I was on 2.28.19, although, as I say, I have seen but not twigged before

(by the way, I tried last week to force the update by driving near the Stanford SC with no success. Yesterday we stopped at Monterey for a charge before entering the Monterey Motorsports reunion. Later on, there was the notice)