Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe not. However, I was extremely surprised when driving the 2017 90D on a noisy rough concrete freeway at 65 mph and got sound readings of 70 dBA.That is about where the 2009 Escalade was and is quieter than the 2012 MS P85 at 76 to 78 dBA or the P90DL MX at 74 to 76 dBA.

Given that decibels are logarithmic, isn't 70 dBa vs. 78 dBa a significant difference? At least this confirms by guesstimate that the 2016 X is as loud as my 2013 S.

Not sure you can trust dBA readings from a smartphone...
I used a dedicated digital sound meter instead of the smartphone. I want to use the best technology to test the Tesla!

Another check is how loud the audio system must be set while driving on the noisy concrete highway. The newer 90D doesn't need as much volume, another way to compare Tesla vehicles without using a meter.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Given that decibels are logarithmic, isn't 70 dBa vs. 78 dBa a significant difference? At least this confirms by guesstimate that the 2016 X is as loud as my 2013 S.
The X was definitely quieter. It had 22" wheels, so I would expect that Model X with 20" tires would be quieter and more like the recent reading in the 2017 MS 90D. My 2012 P85 Model S has 19" wheels with the Michelin tires. If I put the 21" wheels back on before selling the vehicle, I will run another sound check (it should be noisier).

The X was definitely quieter. It had 22" wheels, so I would expect that Model X with 20" tires would be quieter and more like the recent reading in the 2017 MS 90D. My 2012 P85 Model S has 19" wheels with the Michelin tires. If I put the 21" wheels back on before selling the vehicle, I will run another sound check (it should be noisier).
Interestingly (or not), my May 2016 X90D is considerably louder than my March 2014 S P85.

Just got a notification for a new updates--downloading now. TBH, I am pretty happy with where the car SW is right now. I don't have any expectations of big new features, just refinements of existing features like nav. The one big thing left on m wishlist is better voice recognition--both a better hit rate and more commands.

Same bugfix build two days ago.

It so happened my wife was driving it, and the car stayed on "powering up" for about 5 minutes when she got in the car, and then the center console functionality appeared to be locked up. Had to have her reboot it, and then all was fine.

Not sure if this is a bug in the latest firmware, and would love it if someone could confirm for me:

I was plugged into a Supercharger and charging, and when I pushed the windshield washer button, I got the spray of fluid but no wiper action. Turning the wipers on by rotating the switch wouldn't work either. All other 12v accessories were working fine. Once I unplugged, the wipers started working again. Not sure why the wipers (and the wipers only) were disabled during charging.