Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall I like 8.0 and the new media app (I don't use USB music). I like that maps take up the full screen now.

It was raining today, so AP was acting up, so I haven't been able to tell if it's working better or not. I can't tell if regen is stronger or not, it appears to be, but if no one told me, I'd think I was imagining it.

A suggestion for those of you with large file libraries. Separate your files into alphabetical folders like a-b, c-d etc.
At least some of us with large libraries have found the media player doesn't work with them, period, end of story, meaning for us it's not even worth looking for a workaround to the horrible UI. I don't know what the number of tracks is where it falls over, but @BertL has been complaining about unacceptable scan time performance with merely a few thousand tracks. For me, with about 25,000 tracks, it simply doesn't work. There's more discussion of it going on in a separate thread, e.g. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1754461/

Just to play a little devil's advocate here: I've worried from time to time, as well, about our attention being diverted by the big screen, but figure that in the long run, with AP at Level 4+, that will be just fine as 'drivers' won't be needed anymore anyway! I don't use USB and don't have a great ear for music (SAD!), so the media is fine for me and I love having podcasts easily available now. I'm so sorry for those of you that really depend on USB, however, as this really seems like a giant step backward for that.

More AP practice for me today on a road I travel weekly that I know AP usually performs very well on, except for a few spots where there are only Botts Dots. I am anxious to see how we go today. Will report back...

Anytime there is an overhaul of a UI there will be plenty of people divided on the experience and preferences. Change is hard and most people are just frustrated that they have to learn something new. I can see the potential in the new media player app. I think the design is just fine and just needs more polish.

There are bugs and less-than-optimized experiences. This is the first release of the new interface. Give them some time to fix these bugs -- they will get fixed over time. Be patient and learn the new interface. In time the bugs will get worked out and we'll end up with a better experience.

I can say that the new MP interface has solved many of my concerns about the original interface that were architecture limited. Now, those have been addressed.

Roadsters, Model S and Model X owners are guinea pigs with the technology and are on the bleeding edge of the tech. Tesla's vision is th Model 3. Thing of this as another step in creating a sound experience for Model 3. Big picture, folks.

Am I mixing you up with someone else? There is a blue-haired pastafarian poster on this forum that had an AP-capable car, but didn't have the feature activated. Is that you and you have since had it activated, or am I mixing up two people?

Btw, tap anywhere on the Nav map to bring back the icons at the top for a few seconds if you want to switch "apps". They will also reappear when you are in Park.

Thanks, Cyclone! Saving icon info!
Yup, got AP activated and am have been slowly & timidly trying it out during my infrequent longer drives. It was getting smoother each time... I have had the AP for months now, but have never used the park or summon features. If the parking space is too small for my meager skills, I don't use it cuz I don't want to get door-dinged, too chicken-$#!t to summon the car when I'm not in it.

Go Cyclones!

Reactions: Cyclone
Media player was totally borked this morning.

I picked a Slacker station and while listening to it (since the USB scan takes 8 minutes every damn time I start the car), my USB scan finished up. Immediately the media player stopped playing the Slacker tune I was listening to and resumed the song I had been listening to on USB, even though I hadn't switched it myself. What's worse, cover art stayed on the Slacker tune. So now I was listening to USB but seeing the cover art from Slacker.

I advanced to the next tune. The cover art showed some other song from Slacker, but the USB was now playing the next song on USB.

Totally schwacked.

How on earth did none of the 1000 EAP participants see stuff like this?

Just to play a little devil's advocate here: I've worried from time to time, as well, about our attention being diverted by the big screen, but figure that in the long run, with AP at Level 4+, that will be just fine as 'drivers' won't be needed anymore anyway!

Instead, Tesla now wants us to choke on the fumes of the gas cars since v8 forces fresh air at low fan speeds. So someday, that Level 4+ car will be driving our corpses around!

Last edited:
Just got it and I'm on on old pre-Ap car. The interface updates are nice. Overall a great update. I just can't find any way to set a temperature for the cabin overheating feature. The release notes say it's set to 40 Celsius which is pretty high and I would not let a pet or child in that high of a temperature. I couldn't find a setting to adjust the temperature. Is it hidden somewhere?
Can't be set in this release. It's basically an emergency fail safe, and will hopefully increase survival time.
I seem to recall that full "camper mode" where you can lock in a temp range is coming in 8.1.

Reactions: David99
Can't be set in this release. It's basically an emergency fail safe, and will hopefully increase survival time.
I seem to recall that full "camper mode" where you can lock in a temp range is coming in 8.1.

That's my understanding as well.

After much reflection, I turned it off on my car. No children. No pets. I could see times when during the worst 3 months of summer here where it would run inside my closed garage because the temp in the car would get over 105F. All that will accomplish is generating more heat in the garage that can't easily escape.

If I had kids or pets I don't know if I would turn it off...

Mike

Just to play a little devil's advocate here: I've worried from time to time, as well, about our attention being diverted by the big screen, but figure that in the long run, with AP at Level 4+, that will be just fine as 'drivers' won't be needed anymore anyway!
If I understand you right, the silver lining is that in the future I'll have a car that's self-driving for realz so it won't matter if media player blows? I congratulate you on your cheerful outlook, seriously! Unfortunately for me this argument ends up feeling like "in the end we're all dead anyway, so why worry?" ;-)

How is this possible if your hands were on the wheel and you were paying attention?
The AP still moves the car even if your hands rest on the wheel. If your hands take over, it disables AP. Simple.

My gosh, I had my first opportunity to use USB today. Horrible. It seems half-baked. Looks good and has excellent potential. It seems like they got half way through the build and released it. Add Album subfolders, search, and a jump to alpha, and it will be almost there. Also, should have the ability to save the files without rescanning. I am optimistic that they will fix it.

After much reflection, I turned it off on my car. No children. No pets. I could see times when during the worst 3 months of summer here where it would run inside my closed garage because the temp in the car would get over 105F. All that will accomplish is generating more heat in the garage that can't easily escape.

Mike
I'm gonna leave it on because I sometimes carry temperature-sensitive stock. Very handy actually, so long as the battery doesnt take too much of a beating.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike and jgs

Mike
A word to the wise: I had an expensive repair to my previous car, to replace the self-dimming mirror. It ruptured internally when I left the car out in the sun for a few days. There was a big ugly bruise of LCD juice smack in the middle of the mirror. Probably this wouldn't have happened if the car had been kept to 105F.

So it's not just living things that the feature may protect, but also expensive inanimate objects. YMMV of course.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
The AP still moves the car even if your hands rest on the wheel. If your hands take over, it disables AP. Simple.
Yes.. it does indeed sound simple. That was the point of my comment. There's no way the car should be able to "drive you off the road" if your hands are on the wheel and you're ready to take over.

I'm fine with people saying it's more squirrelly (and I agree, based on 150 miles of testing) but let's not get too dramatic with the claims.

Overall I like 8.0 and the new media app (I don't use USB music). I like that maps take up the full screen now.

Obfuscating the controls is a terrible UI design choice that results in attention being further diverted from the road onto the screen to do the same tasks as before. If the intention of hiding the controls is to reduce the distraction factor then Tesla got it completely wrong. Making it mandatory was also a very good way to piss off a lot of people, not what they want.

If you want more map then you could always maximize the pane.

Yes.. it does indeed sound simple. That was the point of my comment. There's no way the car should be able to "drive you off the road" if your hands are on the wheel and you're ready to take over.

I'm fine with people saying it's more squirrelly (and I agree, based on 150 miles of testing) but let's not get too dramatic with the claims.

The point is that for many people (myself included), the new AP is worse at lane keeping than the previous generation. You can't argue with that.

Reactions: wschenk