Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having their mid and treble go wonky every day? The levels seem completely random or at least not what I set them up as the day before
I had it reset after the update,thak to where I liked it, it resets the next day (but only the treble, not the mid or bass). Today seemed fine, didn't check.
today, mine was the treble. Yesterday it was treble and mid. So odd

From those of you with AP and 8.0, I would love to see reports of how well the radar picks up the second vehicle in front of you. Does this show as a cartoon on the center display? Does it work when the vehicle in front of you is a big truck?
If the Tesla can actually apply braking when it detects quick deceleration of that first hidden vehicle, that would be a real safety improvement.

From those of you with AP and 8.0, I would love to see reports of how well the radar picks up the second vehicle in front of you. Does this show as a cartoon on the center display? Does it work when the vehicle in front of you is a big truck?
If the Tesla can actually apply braking when it detects quick deceleration of that first hidden vehicle, that would be a real safety improvement.
It picks it up pretty well. So far I've only seen car-car, no car-truck.

I'm surprised that people are so pessimistic about Tesla. Inifiniti has had this technology out for 3(?) years already.

Reactions: Cyclone and jgs

That's exactly what it does, and it works quite well. Under 30-40mph, the cartoon display reliably shows the car in front. At higher speeds, the car doesn't always show up in the display UNLESS it starts slowing down, in which case it "teleports" onto the display as a second white car in front of the car you're following.

When the 2nd car in front is black, it's just there for informational purposes. When the second car turns white, it means the car is braking/following the 2nd car in addition to the 1st, most likely because the 1st car did not react quickly enough to a slowdown of the 2nd car.

So yes, it is a huge safety improvement, and one of the reasons why 8.0 TACC is a lot more human-like in stop and go traffic. You and I constantly look a few cars ahead to predict whether or not to slow down in advance, instead of literally following the car in front at a set distance. Now, the car is able to do the same.

(NOTE: With radar, the way you detect multiple cars up front is by sensing that there's 2 targets in front moving at different speeds and different distances. It's a lot harder to detect 2 cars up front going exactly the same speed. So in steady-state freeway traffic, the car may not detect multiple cars up front… but that's okay because it really doesn't matter until one car is going slower than the other! In stop and go traffic, it's virtually impossible that all the cars in front of you are going at exactly the same speed all of the time)

You and I constantly look a few cars ahead to predict whether or not to slow down in advance, instead of literally following the car in front at a set distance. Now, the car is able to do the same.

Now if we could only get most of the people on the freeway to do the same thing, instead of just locking on to the car in front of them, tailgating way too close, and slamming on their brakes in surprise when traffic slows. ;):D:rolleyes:

Anyone else noticed trouble accessing and navigating to contacts uploaded from the iPhone?

We used to be able to use voice recognition to find a contact and have it displayed with several numbers and addresses on the big screen. A simple tap selection was all it took to call or navigate.

With 8.0 there is no screen that pops up with the contact information, no ability to navigate to the contact's address via voice recognition. Now the only apparent way to bring up contact info is by manually selecting the iPhone / contacts and then laboriously doing a lot of scrolling, all the while trying to drive. This is a big step back in safety and convenience!

Also, the voice recognition seems overall greatly degraded. The car can no longer distinguish between "Carol" and "Caroline" about 9 out of ten times, but it used to work almost perfectly. Same with my contact "Tommy". It can find lots of Toms, but no Tommy. This is true even sitting quietly in my driveway. By contrast, Siri on the iPhone can find and call my contacts almost flawlessly.

Likewise using voice recognition to select and play music tracks takes numerous repeats, if gets a track at all. It OFTEN comes up and starts playing something completely random and unrelated to the voice command. Again, this used to work very well in 7.1, but no longer.

Overall, very disappointing and a BIG STEP BACKWARDS.

-- R Carlson MD

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
Anyone else noticed trouble accessing and navigating to contacts uploaded from the iPhone?

We used to be able to use voice recognition to find a contact and have it displayed with several numbers and addresses on the big screen. A simple tap selection was all it took to call or navigate.

With 8.0 there is no screen that pops up with the contact information, no ability to navigate to the contact's address via voice recognition. Now the only apparent way to bring up contact info is by manually selecting the iPhone / contacts and then laboriously doing a lot of scrolling, all the while trying to drive. This is a big step back in safety and convenience!

Also, the voice recognition seems overall greatly degraded. The car can no longer distinguish between "Carol" and "Caroline" about 9 out of ten times, but it used to work almost perfectly. Same with my contact "Tommy". It can find lots of Toms, but no Tommy. This is true even sitting quietly in my driveway. By contrast, Siri on the iPhone can find and call my contacts almost flawlessly.

Likewise using voice recognition to select and play music tracks takes numerous repeats, if gets a track at all. It OFTEN comes up and starts playing something completely random and unrelated to the voice command. Again, this used to work very well in 7.1, but no longer.

Overall, very disappointing and a BIG STEP BACKWARDS.

-- R Carlson MD
Yes, by trying to makes what used to be easy even more seamless, Tesla made these tasks harder. If it's not 100% accurate, the new feature breaks what used to work well.

So far it's been good for me. I think the interface is much improved. I haven't run into any problems so far using it the way that I use it. I love the NAV improvements. The swipe down for Home/Work thing is nice and I love the confirmation chime! All Garage Openers should have that feature. The Media player is much safer to use now too. Less attention needed and less screens to navigate through. And the Voice Commands work now! Yay! I've never been able to get those to work unless I was parked. So all in all, big thumbs up for me. If there are bugs I haven't run into any. Yet. I will keep you posted. ;)

I had been looking forward to 8.0 for my classic S 85, in hopes that the USB media problems would finally be fixed. However, after seeing so many posts about how bad 8.0 is in many respects (primarily the USB media), I've decided to postpone installation. I only just received the software update notification last night. Not that I'm holding out hope, but it would be nice if Tesla fixed some of these bigger issues quickly.

Been driving on 8.0 for 3 days now.

Love the regen, hate the new media player like so many others.

AP is interesting, it's better in some situations (2nd car in front for example) but FAR worse in situations where there is a crest of a hill and road turns even slightly at the top. With 7.1 on my regular commute (road has well marked lines) I used to be able to "gently pull" the wheel and keep AP engaged. Every time. Now it tries to run me off the road at the crest. Every time.
It just won't let me correct enough to stay in the lane, and AP disengages. With the 8.0 camera/radar changes, the car is likely safer in other situations that matter more than mine. Just a hunch. I can deal with this, it's still an amazing vehicle for so many reasons.

That's exactly what it does, and it works quite well. Under 30-40mph, the cartoon display reliably shows the car in front. At higher speeds, the car doesn't always show up in the display UNLESS it starts slowing down, in which case it "teleports" onto the display as a second white car in front of the car you're following.

When the 2nd car in front is black, it's just there for informational purposes. When the second car turns white, it means the car is braking/following the 2nd car in addition to the 1st, most likely because the 1st car did not react quickly enough to a slowdown of the 2nd car.

So yes, it is a huge safety improvement, and one of the reasons why 8.0 TACC is a lot more human-like in stop and go traffic. You and I constantly look a few cars ahead to predict whether or not to slow down in advance, instead of literally following the car in front at a set distance. Now, the car is able to do the same.

(NOTE: With radar, the way you detect multiple cars up front is by sensing that there's 2 targets in front moving at different speeds and different distances. It's a lot harder to detect 2 cars up front going exactly the same speed. So in steady-state freeway traffic, the car may not detect multiple cars up front… but that's okay because it really doesn't matter until one car is going slower than the other! In stop and go traffic, it's virtually impossible that all the cars in front of you are going at exactly the same speed all of the time)
What's really pretty cool is when there is a larger car/truck/SUV immediately in front with a smaller car in front of that. I can't see the 2nd car at all, but it shows up on the IC. Even if there weren't TACC improvements this is a great enhancement to situational awareness.

I had been looking forward to 8.0 for my classic S 85, in hopes that the USB media problems would finally be fixed. However, after seeing so many posts about how bad 8.0 is in many respects (primarily the USB media), I've decided to postpone installation. I only just received the software update notification last night. Not that I'm holding out hope, but it would be nice if Tesla fixed some of these bigger issues quickly.

Sig Model S here, so classic like you. Honestly the folks complaining seem to be mostly (all?) very heavy USB users, I have a couple thousand songs on my USB and absolutely no problems; the new media player interface is pretty nice, shows lots more album art, easier to find favorites etc. They just need to fix the descriptor labels on XM stations. Overall for classic cars, it's a nice upgrade.

Yeah, good luck getting the voice command to properly parse out "Play Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole"! :)

Close enough that it was 1st on the search results. On my second try it got his name spelled perfectly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 73