Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics from:
AP2 Software Update 17.17.4 • r/teslamotors
F0WlGMx.jpg

HKm4j8J.jpg

Autosteer and auto high beams are the latest pieces brought into parity, yes - but I think there's only a few things left: Rain sensing wipers, AEB at high speeds, and perpendicular autopark. And displaying trucks/motorcycles differently, I suppose, for whatever that's worth.
Oh, definitely, it's real close now. But the quote from Electrek was still 'parity for autosteer'. Further down they mention the 'missing items', perpendicular parking, wipers, etc.

I would hope at this rate you'd see those and perhaps the long-awaited kernal upgrade before the June event (or July, in any case, since that's a public one!).

I posted some of my initial driving impressions in the MX 17.17.4 thread, but I'll summarize: it really feels like AP1 and then some. Tracks curves around hills quite well. Much smoother and less hesitation overall...

Only criticism so far is that the way it steers around a curve feels a bit wobbly / piece wise. It doesn't depart the lanes but it feels unskilled compared to a good human driver.

But overall this is the first time I can seriously say that AP2 has some areas where it is better than AP1. Can't wait for what's to come, but this release makes AP2 truly useful for relaxing highway drives.

Still on 17.14.23

Regarding your question about disengaging AP 2.0:
I drive to and from Orlando quite often and use AP all the time.
The last 4 times (70+ miles one way): disengagements ZERO
AP is set to 80mph, I use auto Lange change quite often, too...

Let's not get too euphoric about parity until we see if the new features are ready for prime time. Local autosteering, for example, has been technically available for the last several,releases, but not practical to use. And (though not an AP1 feature) Summon is nothing like the "pick me up at my front door" magic that was promoted.

That said, early reports are encouraging.